GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 25th 2004, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast70
I was told that CB Performance was going to offer either a 74mm or 76mm for the cost of the 69mm. I don't know if the website has been updated yet. This is what I was told by someone who has been in contact with them.

CB's cranks are counterweighted. They are really nice. I am using a 82mm super race crank and the 5.5in Super race rods. It looks solid with those H-beams on there.

Super VW, don't forget the old saying, no replacement for displacement. Don't be afraid to get a crank larger than 69mm. Clearancing is not difficult at all, just take your time. For just a little more money your fun can be increased many times over.

Just my 2 cents,
fast70

Yeah, the site has been updated as they have a stroker crank at the same price as the 69mm.

I cant budge my budget (hey it rhymes) for a stroker... When i have the money later i want to build a type-4 or a wicked insane type-1 and that will likely be a stroker. Gotta remember im still in high school (last year... Hell yeah!) so i cant work as much as i want, to get the money i need for this addictnig lifestyle/hobby of Aircooled VW's
Old January 25th 2004, 22:59

Hmmm....you know....I knew a guy that bought a used motor and it lasted 3 years...it was a bone stock 1600, but 3 years is great for a used $300 turn-key!

Maybe this would be an option, while you wait to get what you REALLY want???

I'm only saying this cuz your going to want more power....I promise you will......
Old January 25th 2004, 23:06

I just hope you don't beat yourself up later for not going stroker. Theres nothing like stroker and theres nothing like turbo, so I did both!

I origionally had a modest budget like yours, but I went ahead and splurged under the advice of my engine builder and had a complete turbo 2110 for $2000. I have not yet regreted this. It only took me one more paycheck, but it will supply me with much more fun. I was origionally going to go type 4 turbo, but my engine builder convinced me otherwise as just to build a motor of the same displacement cost much more and the horsepower just wouldn't be close to what I wanted (250-300hp). Although this newfound horsepower did force me to buy a new tranny just to be safe so that did tag on extra cost. However, by doing the work yourself of finding someone to help you out, you can build a performance motor for cheap without skimping on the parts.

fast70
Old January 25th 2004, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolook71
Hmmm....you know....I knew a guy that bought a used motor and it lasted 3 years...it was a bone stock 1600, but 3 years is great for a used $300 turn-key!

Maybe this would be an option, while you wait to get what you REALLY want???

I'm only saying this cuz your going to want more power....I promise you will......

Thats crap advice Eurolook! (im just playin BTW)
I need an engine soon, i want to have over 100hp... and i need it cheap.
AND where else am i going to get hands on experience building if i dont build this now ?
Old January 25th 2004, 23:18

Quote:
I just hope you don't beat yourself up later for not going stroker. Theres nothing like stroker and theres nothing like turbo, so I did both!

I origionally had a modest budget like yours, but I went ahead and splurged under the advice of my engine builder and had a complete turbo 2110 for $2000. I have not yet regreted this. It only took me one more paycheck, but it will supply me with much more fun. I was origionally going to go type 4 turbo, but my engine builder convinced me otherwise as just to build a motor of the same displacement cost much more and the horsepower just wouldn't be close to what I wanted (250-300hp). Although this newfound horsepower did force me to buy a new tranny just to be safe so that did tag on extra cost. However, by doing the work yourself of finding someone to help you out, you can build a performance motor for cheap without skimping on the parts.

fast70
Yeah i know i WILL want more power... but there is always other times to build biger and better things. for now a 1915 is good. i do have the rest of the car to restore to ya know :P.

My father works at the Porsche, VW, Audi and BMW dealership here in Bend, Oregon and there are a few VW geeks there (Aircooled yes) so i can get help from them... one of the guys was in Hot VW's for his drag car. and an other is building a 2000+cc stroker as we speak. he also built a 1776 that i got to ride in with... he builds nice motors, it had plenty of power for me. so a 1915 will be nice :P
Old January 25th 2004, 23:19

Talking

I know, I'm in the same spot as you.....I've got a used case, but havent got it align-bored or tapped for F/F yet. I plan to build a 85.5X76. I bought OEM german 85.5s, and well, It seems as though CBP is making torque a little cheaper,(a welded 69 cost $150 on their site, so if a 76 is the same then thats where its at!!)....It just has to be done in the next few weeks, or I'll be riding my bike to school!
Old January 25th 2004, 23:20

Build it now why you are in high school and still have the time and resources to do it. Without going with some form of stroker, which I think that 76mm is a good bet for you, you will be pushing it to break 100hp with a 69mm crank. Most HP figures you see for motors are flywheel horspower not wheel horsepower because wheel horsepower takes into account a 15% drivetrain loss. There are many strokers that are just getting to 130 HP.

Check out http://www.cal-look.com/tech/2007_vs_2165.shtml that should help you decide. And even he wasn't quite satisfied with the power so imagine how you will feel. Personally, the only way I would go under 2 liters is if it were turboed.

fast70
Old January 25th 2004, 23:26

The CBPerfromance site has the 76 crank for $350....and the 69 c/w is $150....am I missing something??
Old January 25th 2004, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolook71
The CBPerfromance site has the 76 crank for $350....and the 69 c/w is $150....am I missing something??
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1185

Where is there $150 69mm crank?
Old January 25th 2004, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw

69 crank
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=148

76 crank
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=153

Weird, i couldnt find the link you sent while surfing their site???
Old January 25th 2004, 23:54

I couldn't find that link either, I'm glad you did SuperVW.

fast70
Old January 26th 2004, 00:03

Quote:
I couldn't find that link either, I'm glad you did SuperVW.

fast70

Weird, i just searched "crank" and it was in one of the lists
I guess i did see the $150 one, but wasent to sure on it as its not stated as a cast or forged, and its welded.
Old January 26th 2004, 00:09

Oh, btw i was looking on CB's site and they do in house machineing, and they are a little cheaper (15 bucks cheaper) on case boring compaired to Rimco.
Any one have a say on there work? and turn around time?

I think i will send my case to them as i should be buying other stuf from them any how, maybe i can save on shipping if they can ship more at once?

Also, would it be best to pick up a set of there Uni-Tech Con/rods or have my stock rods reworked? If i could save money here, that would help a bit.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1179
Old January 26th 2004, 00:15

From what I hear they are good rods.

fast70
Old January 26th 2004, 00:31

Worth it over stock rebuilt rods ya think?