GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 2nd 2008, 15:45

anyone having any success with their builds? I am just awaiting a rebuild on my 901, and some trailing arm stuff... anyone make any more progress?
Old May 3rd 2009, 16:35

I am about to order my clutch setup and wanted to know what others are using for their motors?
If you used the Kennedy kit what clutch/pressure plate did you use?

thanks for the insights.
Old May 3rd 2009, 19:33

I have the kennedy kit, It came with my motor. Sadly it is for a porsche 930 tranny and that is sort of what is holding me back on mine. Lets see some pics of yours!
Old May 4th 2009, 00:31

I have a sti ra engine in my 74 ghia we done this type the engine swap in my shop call outfront motorsport they can modify your throttle body and we used there ecu kit work very well.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:39

so my solutions so far for ecu and stuff is as follows... 05 sti engine with full vehicle harness (to be adapted to this application). sti matched ecu/key/immobilizer box, and sti gauge cluster. I will also be adapting the entire fuel system including pumps and fuel tank bits. I will also be adapting the pedal cluster (hanging) from the sti because of the servo-tronic throttle and the fact that the other two pedals work fine for clutch actuaction and brake master cylinder interaction...The objective is to use as many "plug-n-play" sti parts as I can, these include stock turbo and TMIC and parts of the original exhaust system (ultimately this will be converted to totally custom install). I will also be using the water system but running long water lines up to the front of my car with a single radiator (for now) dual fan system. I am hoping to have my entire engine system on a stand alone circut with it's own dedicated battery and closed loop system. This will stand seperate from the remainder of the cars sytems including ice/cameras/security/canopy hydraulics ect... Adapted to a fresh 69' 901 5spd trans via a kennedy kit but am still debating the clutch/pressureplate combo... as well I am still trying to figure out the cv/axle combo (anyone have insights?) in that I am using 87' 944 alu arms and full brake setup front and rear. But I am running into a few challenges with getting the cv/axle combo figured out.

Before the boards went down I had found most of the information that I needed but now none of the links work and stuff seems to be not so easy to find anymore.. alas my research continues...

Here is something pretty to look at:
Engine -

Concept Painting of my car -
Old May 13th 2009, 23:30

Hello JMD,

I am curious as to why you chose the 901 transmission to go with your STI engine. Do you think that it will stand up to the rated horsepower of the STI?

I am using a 911/01 that I found a good deal on with a 94 WRX EJ20G engine. As long as I keep it close to stock I think that it will be ok.

randyj
Old May 28th 2009, 13:13

I chose the 901 Transmission because it was what I had direct access to at the time. As for the ability of it to handle the STI engine, I expect it not to be too much of an issue. I am not a drag racer, I will never hard launch the car in first. However, I do like to get on it in 3rd so am hoping that the full rebuild I had done on the tranny will help it last for a while. For the start of the project I will be keeping the engine pretty stock but it is still a bunch of poop to push into that trans... I have a pro - racer that specializes in the older porsche gear as my mechanic / tech adviser and he feels strongly that the setup he built for me will handle whatever I toss at it up to about 300+HP... as I see it (today) i don't expect to pass that number for sometime... I am now just waiting on Kennedy to finish my Adapter plate and my machinist to finish my output flanges...
Old December 7th 2009, 22:49

I have now solved output flange problems and have new flanges mounted, axles built Kennedy kit in place and am just now building the transmission mounting solution, shift linkage and final trans cradle.

anyone else have any progress?
Old December 7th 2009, 22:50

I have now solved output flange problems and have new flanges mounted, axles built Kennedy kit in place and am just now building the transmission mounting solution, shift linkage and final trans cradle.

anyone else have any progress?
Old December 9th 2009, 14:58

thought i mite add to this, building a 1302 for street/track, has an 091 with beetle nose cone, rjes bellhousing, albins gears, peloquin LSD, with an 02 JDM sti engine behind it, cage going in shortly, most of the work is being done by myself, if anyones curious http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/STIDUB/ check it out.
Old December 11th 2009, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDUB View Post
thought i mite add to this, building a 1302 for street/track, has an 091 with beetle nose cone, rjes bellhousing, albins gears, peloquin LSD, with an 02 JDM sti engine behind it, cage going in shortly, most of the work is being done by myself, if anyones curious http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/STIDUB/ check it out.
I like transmission work, very nice looking thig

BTW, how much You've moved trans to the front? Or You'll have to kill some rear valance to get it in...

I've heard that 40mm moving (little more than 1 1/2 inch) fornt would solve that problem, so You don't have to cut rear valance...

Best,

B.
Old December 11th 2009, 15:19

fantastic!

man that's a nice looking build.

well done on that trans. love the custom work.

what do you think it's HP threshold would be?

thanks for sharing your build.