GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 6th 2007, 16:55

a 9 inch rim will have an overall size of about 10inch. 9 inch is inside lip where tyre sits. could squeeze a 245 on a 7 1/2 or 8 but you could also swap stickers over...............
Old December 6th 2007, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
It appears to start at the 1" mark and go to 9 1/2" or so.
Not only that, but he's measuring the Tire. Not the rim. And even when
you measure the rim, its the inside measurement, not the outsite measurement.

A 7" rim is almost 8" wide.
A 9" rim is almost 10" wide

I still dont think thats a 9 my friend.

Lets see the stampings on the back where it says 17 x 9 et55

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 6th 2007, 22:15

Well, I just measured my front wheel that's 7x16 ET55 with 205/50/16, and it is 9 inches wide. (without starting at the 1 inch mark )

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old December 7th 2007, 01:06

Let's not argue over minor details!

The dude's got BIG MEAT on a Ghia! And I don't mean hittin a deer to get meat on the car like I'd have to here in sunny Southeastern Michigan!

Seriously though... 6", 7", 8", 9" doesn't matter as long as he's not running the oh, so neutered 4 1/2's that came on these sexy beasts

Hey Trogdor,

You gonna need a thermonuclear reactor to get enough heat in those 245's to get any traction you know. What's the goal/objective/intended use for the Ghia?
Old December 7th 2007, 08:14
skywalker

What's standing next to the tube Trogdor?

Old December 7th 2007, 10:01

^ Ill get the pic of the 9 55 on the pic here soon.

My button
Old December 7th 2007, 11:06

That's ok Trogdor. It really doesn't matter that much. I can see that you will have major rubbing issues already when you get that thing on the road. The rear tires protrude outside the finder lips and when they bounce, if you run any rear suspension, you will rub!!! The turning radius on the fronts will do the same.

I'm glad to see that you have proved that you/anyone can mount large rims/tires on a static car. The proof will be when you drive it !!!

Take care and good luck ,

Kelly (Cohibra45)
Old December 7th 2007, 23:21

Hum???????

#2 October 8th 2006, 23:32
lowbox
Registered User Join Date: Aug 2006

i had 17 x 7.5 on my 74 ghia don't remeber the offset , with out a narrowed beam with 205/ 40's front and rear i just could not let the beam all the way down or it whould rub the fender lip when i turned http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/71706.jpg
Old December 10th 2007, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post
That's ok Trogdor. It really doesn't matter that much. I can see that you will have major rubbing issues already when you get that thing on the road. The rear tires protrude outside the finder lips and when they bounce, if you run any rear suspension, you will rub!!! The turning radius on the fronts will do the same.

I'm glad to see that you have proved that you/anyone can mount large rims/tires on a static car. The proof will be when you drive it !!!

Take care and good luck ,

Kelly (Cohibra45)

Oh .... did they rub on your car when you mounted them? Because if I can get some advice from someone with firsthand experience that would be awsome.

My button
Old December 11th 2007, 11:23

My only experience is that mine is tagged/insured/and on the road almost everyday !!! I don't have the major tire/wheel package you have. Mine are only 2.0L 914 Fuchs with 195/60/15 all around. My rear fenders have 1/3" clearance on one side and 1/2" on the other. My front end is standard width beam and I have very, and I mean very, slight rub on full lock on the inner fender wells.

It is just that your pictures show that your sidewalls on the rears protrude outside your fender wells. My eyes aren't what they use to be, but it sure looks it to me.

Your tone suggests a little animosity towards me and if I have rubbed you the wrong way, please take my apologies. There was none meant on my part. Everyone here and in the whole VW Karmann Ghia community has been asking about what size (the largest) wheel/tire combination will work with the Ghia. If you have truly found the magic wheel/tire combination that will work without rubbing, then that is fantastic!!! Like I said earlier, it just looks to my eyes that your rear rubber sticks outside the fender lip.

Take care,

Kelly (Cohibra45) 1970 KG vert
Old December 11th 2007, 13:07

OFF TOPIC, but I have to ask... did you (or someone you know) buy the "DEATH" Volksrod from Franz at KCW in Grand Junction, Colorado? I see it sitting behind the Ghia in this picture. I know the car, have seen it first hand, and just very curious where it ended up... Ohio I guess??? Any info would be great!

BTW... nice looking car, and I believe you... those are obviously 9" wide wheels, why would he lie?

Cheers!

Andy

[QUOTE=Trogdor;62808]After much anticipation here ya' go. 17" x 9" porsche cup wheels in the front and da' back!

The desired height

Lock to lock
Old December 11th 2007, 16:09

heres my 8x15 cookie cutters.....................

Last edited by 1303R; December 11th 2007 at 16:11.
Old December 12th 2007, 22:50

Death

Hi Andy

yes, he is one off my customer and he is a big porsche and vw collector here in dayton, ohio and we take care all hes cars go to www.tajmagaraj.com and ck hes toys. this friday hot rod magazine they going to feature death.

thanks,
Old December 14th 2007, 08:39

I have a 74 Ghia with 16x6 1/2 wheels, I believe a 36 offset and running 205/45/16 The tires are Yoko Parada's and I have had NO rubbing on the rears and the front I had to adjust the stop bolts in about 3/16" so the front tire would not hit the beam. And now I have NO rubbing on the fronts. I oiginally had 20/50/16 and the front tires tucked in great be the problem was turning the steering wheel to a fully locked position and going over a bump at the same time. The tire would rub the fender lip. Also my 3/4" sway bar no longer works. Most likely have to get a "over the top" sway bar.

Its all about tire combinations.....

The problem isnt the rim size because the tire section width only grows approx. .2 for every 1/2 the rim gets smaller or larger. Example 205/45/16 with a section width of 8.0 on a 6 1/2 wide rim, on a 7" rim the section width is 8.2. I searched for a month before I finally found a tire that would work for me. Try and find the tire with the smallest section width because 1/8" makes all the difference in the world. Expecially when fitted on a ghia.
Old December 15th 2007, 14:34