GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old January 14th 2005, 14:36

English-to-German help needed

I have used different translators on-line but in this particular case I would appreciate a more precise translation.

I e-mailed BAS about their exhausts for a Super Beetle with a Type 4 engine, and asked specifically which one exits through a stock Super Beetle apron. (I don't want to get a wrong German word for exits, through, stock, and/or apron. The question I may end up asking might be fodder for a German sit-com.)

Their response was to go to the "Typ 4" area of exhausts on their "webside."

Well, that's how I got their e-mail address. I'm sure it was a nice reply they gave me, and they just didn't fully appreciate the detail of my question.

In equally nice terms, I would like to let them know I did go to their site but I was unclear as to which exhaust model number exits through a stock apron, if any. (Looking at the pictures, I'm not sure one does. Yet, there is a picture of an exhaust in a Keith Seume book that is supposedly a BAS system.)

There is a nice thread going about exhausts, and I don't want to hijack it -- especially since a Remmele was posted as being available. Someone may be able to use that, or comment on some of the other posts floating about in that thread.

(I'm not interested in the Remmele because I'm in the fact-finding stage of that conversion.)

Anyway, anyone who wants to help me prepare a German response, can PM-me or reply here. Thanks.
Old January 15th 2005, 02:52

May be I can help you! I live in Germany and can call them for your problem. You want to know whether the BAS Type 4 exhaust fits a 1303 rear apron? I know that they are different in the US. I will look if I find a picture of a BAS exhaust mounted on a 1302/03 which I can e-mail you and you can tell me on the picture what you want to know from BAS.

Norbert
Old January 15th 2005, 03:43

Thanks, Norbert. Here's a picture of my 1303 soon after I bought it last July:

Hope that helps.
Old January 15th 2005, 05:12

Okay! I will call on Monday BAS and ask them!
As far as I know you will have some problems with this apron, because the collector (Is it the right word? The part between the heads and the exhaust) is too big and you might have to cut some metal on the inside of your apron.
I had this problem with the BAS Type 1 exhaust and I changed the rear apron to a 1975 1303...
Now I drive a GWD3 exhaust

Btw: Your apron is called in German: Flaches Abschlussblech

Norbert
Old January 17th 2005, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Thanks, Norbert. Here's a picture of my 1303 soon after I bought it last July:
Hope that helps.
Today I called BAS and they say: Every exhaust system they offer for a type 4 engine fits under your type of apron, BUT I called a friend and he told me that you should use thermo-tec insulating wrap or otherwise the paint on your apron will get burned and you might have to cut some metal on the inside of your apron. It seems that it would be better to use a late apron like mine.
Another fact about BAS: The exhaust system is sold for a reasonable price, but you have to work on it to fit on your engine, no plug and play

I hope that I helped you...

Norbert
Old January 18th 2005, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisblau
Another fact about BAS: The exhaust system is sold for a reasonable price,
Norbert
Compared to your GWD3 system: most definately
BTW: nice 03 , even with the weird taillights

On topic:the flat rear apron usually has the stock metal heat shield behind it and that is often the part that's in the way. The late model aprons don't have the heat shield AND have more room...
I also understood from Bernd once that the adjustable parts are there because almost no bug is the same in dimensions. This is especially important with their mufflers set-up.
So its all done 'for our own good'

Walter
Old January 18th 2005, 08:42

The aprons we have in the states starting with the 1975 model year are different than what you are showing me. We have a different set-up because of the catalytic converter that was legislated. Our '75s-on-up have one exhaust portal which is off-center.

The thermal wrap doesn't sound like a bad option, though. Or, if available, I guess I could try to attain a Euro-apron.

I suppose I just don't understand the pictures on their Web site. I don't see how their exhaust uses a muffler which exits a standard apron.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep gathering more info to see what my ultimate options are.
Old January 18th 2005, 09:19

Quote:
I don't see how their exhaust uses a muffler which exits a standard apron.
It does, just like in Eisblau's car; but only if you use the complete muffler set-up also of course. It uses only one exit, the left one. I have the 21152E and 21149E and it exits nicely out the left apron hole (when its back in the car .
What do you not understand?

Greetings,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; January 18th 2005 at 09:24.
Old January 18th 2005, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Compared to your GWD3 system: most definately
BTW: nice 03 , even with the weird taillights
Walter
Okay, the GWD3 is definately not cheap, but it fits and of course looks perfect

Which 03 are you talking about? If it is mine, well, I hope I don't bother you, but it is not an '03...

You are from the Netherlands? Do you go to SPA this summer? What do you think about a european germanlook.com meeting?

Norbert
Old January 18th 2005, 10:56

Quote:
I suppose I just don't understand the pictures on their Web site. I don't see how their exhaust uses a muffler which exits a standard apron.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep gathering more info to see what my ultimate options are.
May be it helps you, if Wally or any other of the Germanlook.com users makes a photo of their BAS muffler setup already installed? If you have time till May, 1st I can take a lot of BAS muffler pictures at the "Maikäfertreffen" .
On your car (The photo you posted) the muffler will fit about 90% or more and one exhaust tip will exit on the left (Like Wally already posted!)

Now I have a question about your rear taillights! Are these original U.S. spec? Do they have a reflector on the side (yellow or red?) and are there any more differences to the Euro spec.? I am looking for them a long time in Germany, but they were not available.

Norbert
Old January 18th 2005, 11:12

Sorry bout the mistaken car identity Norbert
I like the idea on the euro GL meet but how do you mobilise all euro GL's to do the same?
And yes, I usually go to Spa (of course). Maybe better to organise s/th about GL within the Spa meet. Not sure if this can be organised with our Belgian friends, although Spa does get better organised each year I think

Gruss,
Walter
Old January 18th 2005, 12:51

Don't worry, I have had the same type of replies of them myself. I just want to reply and say "well if your bl**dy website was any better, I am sure you wouldn't have so many emails asking questions!"...
Old January 19th 2005, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I like the idea on the euro GL meet but how do you mobilise all euro GL's to do the same?
I thought about just the european user of this forum (For the first step). It would be a good opportunity to meet each other (The area is so big, I can't imagine to find anybody... ), may be near the pits in the afternoon before the cruise on the track?

Norbert
Old January 19th 2005, 13:51

i would love to see a GL.com get together over there. been rambling to myself about doing the same on this side. of course i would also love to see a euro GL club formed. obviously i would hope that GL.com would be used for the forum for the club.

if there is anything i can do from a site perspective in you guys having a get together, let me know. someone taking pics and a small write up on the get together would be VERY cool. everyone is always curious what other look like and i am sure it would be a fine collection of cars to have in some shots.

get the ball rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 19th 2005, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisblau
, may be near the pits in the afternoon before the cruise on the track?

Norbert
yes, the area behind the pits is very suited if it isn't too crowded then (arrive early ), Lets talk again if its summer and my car runs with its new engine and other upgrades

Walter