GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old May 14th 2006, 22:32

I got rear ended in my bug a few years ago. It felt like pulling teeth with their insurance to get any kind of real money, be patient and keep your cool. Their first offer, I couldn't even fix the car for what they offered. I finaly got about $2200 plus I got to keep my car. I pulled the rear apron out, fixed the exhaust. and I was back on the road. They ended up salvageing my title. After a little change of numbers, I have the only 1972 Super with a balljoint front suspension. The extra money, well that's what started my Germanlook Ghia project. I ALMOST traded my wrecked car plus $2500, for a 1 owner rust free '74 standard. I wanted a project and a daily driver, it would be hard to build my daily driver.

Good luck.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 15th 2006, 01:58

Yup That stuff sucks!! I was rear ended in my 73 on a rainy day by a astrovan. I was dead stopped and she was doing 35Mph. What sucks is i was the Proper distance behind the car infront of me, but since she didnt brake i hit the Bronco infront of me. So my Bug and Body took all the impact. My body was fine with the exception of some whiplash (Thank god for Highback seats!!) and a broken 5th metacarpal on the right hand.

The Kicker is I WAS Listed as patially at fault....WTF. Hmmmm....2000Lbs beetle Vs 4000Lbs astrovan. Actually can anybody find out how far she pushed me...or how far i would have gone if the bronco wouldnt have been there. She didnt brake i was on the brakes and in 1st cluth disengaged. was on wed asphalt.
Old May 15th 2006, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt+f4
What sucks is i was the Proper distance behind the car infront of me, but since she didnt brake i hit the Bronco infront of me...The Kicker is I WAS Listed as [partially] at fault...
I have seen your situation before but thankfully, [knock-on-wood] it hasn't yet happened to me.[/knock]

Since you rear-ended the Bronco (from a stand-still while still applying the brake), it is automatically assumed you are in the wrong for not maintaining a proper distance. This saves the police from doing a CSI-type of investigation on every fender bender.

It is you who has to prove you had a proper distance in the first place. The insurance company representing you becomes the insurance company representing its own bottom line. In most cases like yours, the lead car (the Bronco) had damage but little personal injury. The insurance company that once represented you is now seeing it as a cheaper route to admit guilt for you and fix the damage than doing any kind of investigation to prove the truth.

Putting forth the effort oneself to show a proper distance while stopped was maintained can be costly. I know of one case where the person was successful. This person, however, has deep pockets and was willing to do the fight the fight on principle even though it ended up costing him more than his deductable when no guarantees were involved. (Not the first time I have seen fighting something on principle is easier with deep pockets.)

And, yes, it does suck.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:46

But the other buy was at fault....the police found him at fault.

Does this mean that I still need to prove something? Jsut curious.
Old May 15th 2006, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusmaniac
the police found him at fault. Does this mean that I still need to prove something?
I doubt it.

My answer was more an empathy response for alt+f4.

One thing I used to keep in all of my cars was a disposable camera. That way, I could take pictures of the scene before cars got moved. I no longer do this since everyone in the family has a cell phone that takes pictures. I would be SOL on days I don't take the home detention work release monitor with me.

Even still, a camera may not be so helpful in alt+f4's case. Taking a picture before an accident would require the level of clairvoyance needed to avoid it in the first place -- or a dash camera worthy of the police chase shows.

By the way, the only picture I ever took was for a $35 parking ticket. I spent four hours in court until my case was called. My time is worth more than $9/hr. If only I had known.
Old May 15th 2006, 22:59

That sucks alt+f4, I was lucky in that the person in front of me was still moving. The girl that hit me wasn't watching at all. Imagine looking up just checking to see if the person behind you is going to stop, and you see the side of her head. Was my reaction. I also wasn't holding the brake for dear life, so the Nissan that hit me kinda pushed me out of the way. Instead of trying to push my rear apron into my back seat. I think I kind of bounced off of her. Also, I tried to be nice and I didn't say, "I looked in the mirror and didn't even see her looking at me." The report said I braked and she didn't have enough time to stop. Next time I'll state exactly what happened from my view point.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 16th 2006, 02:53

yeah i know i should have persued now. I was 18 at the time and didnt know any of this. I didnt get a police report or any notification that i was partially at fault. so it went a year and a half before i found out. and then they said i was SOL. My dad was a cop and should have known this and he iddnt tell me.