GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 24th 2011, 20:02

Hi

Regarding the headlight rims. In some countries they didn't get sealed beam headlights, the had a separate reflector and a plastic base to secure the reflector.

The bottom screw is to secure the headlight, the other screws are for adjustment.

Steve
Old October 25th 2011, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
This was what I did. Have to do cleaning if the roads were wet n muddy!
Make sure you get some protection on the rear fenders because they'll get chewed up by rocks and sand
Old October 25th 2011, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I believe that elise is a nationals car if I remember correctly. Also, plywood sounds so redneck, call it organic composite, it sounds racier that way
Speaking of which:

http://www.specialprojectsms.com/info/technical.html

Interesting stuff. Anyone messed with a lower rear splitter on a bug near the trans, etc.? Too far back to notice, too turbelent, doesn't matter/wouldn't work with the bug body shape, good experience?? What are everyone's thoughts on the rear diffuser, like on this Acura:

Old October 25th 2011, 15:47

Better use an aircooled 911 for rear diffusor examples me thinks...
even then, exhaust routing and cooling in general might make that extremely difficult and/or outright dangerous for the engine's life expectancy.
Just stating the obvious probably ;-)
Old October 25th 2011, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
A picture I have made many years ago of Bernd Rummenholl's 1303 Gelb-schwarzem Renner, which had the top of the front bumper towards body closed off.
This is something I will finally realize this winter, plus I will add a little twist to it myself
Well, I thought don't talk about it, lets just do it!

Old October 26th 2011, 12:19

That special projects page is what i'm following to make my front splitter. Having talked to a few ustcc teams and fabricators that splitter design is almost a standard.

I've considered a rear diffuser and using naca ducts to pull air from the engine bay but I'm not sure how well it would flow.
Old October 26th 2011, 13:01

Niiiice

Wally, i would put the side piece even higher and blend it with the contour where the wing meets the extension.
You will also need to close the /extension - side piece - bumper - splitter/ area and also extend the widened wing downwards to the splitter

pretty much you will end up with something looking like the Jsports front bumper...

or you can get the side piece merged with the contour of the extension/wing line, trim the bumper edge towards the centre of the car and project the wing extension until it meets the splitter...

I hope it makes sense

otherwise give me a side view and front view pics of your beetle centered on the area for me to draw it for you...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old October 26th 2011, 15:26

Thanks Chris!
I am thinking about/working on the missing side parts to cover the now still exposed 'lower front tire face'. Think I know what you mean therefore, will post up when I have come up with something. I know what I want it to look like, but actually making it with simple materials and attaching it to the existing parts is tricky to figure out.
Old October 26th 2011, 20:39

if you want post a pic before u go and materialize...just in order to give you food for thought..
I will be going away for 4 days to my summer house...partly renovating, getting papers done in order to make a separate garage for my self))))))))

Wally, PM sent

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old October 27th 2011, 10:13

I wanted to do the same as you are making at the moment. But I did not like the look of all the loose pieces put together. The plate on top of bumper, bumper itself, the Kamei spoiler and the splitter plate. Thats why I bought a Remmele front bumper and I am adding polyester extensions to fill the gaps on the sides and on top between bumper and bonnet/front fenders. The end result will look completly different than yours. I bought the bumper in Hannover on the firtst of May but I am not finnished jet. (still talking about it instead of finishing the thing.

This,

has to look like this when it's finnished.

Seeing youre work motivates me again to do something myself.
Old October 27th 2011, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I wanted to do the same as you are making at the moment. But I did not like the look of all the loose pieces put together.
I agree, it would be much nicer if everything was 'one piece', but not everything fits as we want to (you know this just as well as I do I think unfortunately) or is available in the first place.
So we make something ourselves

No I see the doctors car again, I see some resemblance, but the form really came as I was duplicating Rummenholls bumper plate and the extensions just seem the most logical thing to do as an opportunity to add some downforce.
Quote:
Seeing youre work motivates me again to do something myself.
If for nothing else, that good in itself
Old October 27th 2011, 18:42

Hi

I just saw a photos of a VW fun cup car, they have an interesting front air dam and they may have had access to wind tunnels for the design or at the very least some designers with aerodynamic experience.

Steve

Old October 28th 2011, 03:39

what you need to remember with the fun cup cars is that theres a rad in the front of the car, heance the big vents in the valance and bonnet.
not sure how well they would work as the as the splitter/side planes look like they would be a very turbulant area.

the quattro above is the way i was thinking for my 03 race car but with a slightly more rounded wing to suit the shape of the bug. will have a splitter on rather than the lip that the rally cars had. been playing with drawings on a bug and its just working out how to do the back end to match in with the differnat front end.
Old October 28th 2011, 06:52

Dump the beetle and just buy one of those! Amazing I jest but it has got to be tempting.
Old October 30th 2011, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
Dump the beetle and just buy one of those! Amazing I jest but it has got to be tempting.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually