GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 14th 2015, 22:54

Type IV cams

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where I read that Nitriding cams were not good for tool steel lifters. Can anyone speak to this?

I bought my cam from Pauter, I have heard of cam builder cams failing. At present I'm going through a tare down of a friends 1835 type one engine because of highly possible cam failure. Way back when I had the ideal of having the Pauter cam heat treated, and did.

I was supposed to run this cam and engine on a 356 dual spring lifters, but have heard since that the 356 stock lifters may not hold up, wow.

I was looking at the issue of trying to get some 356 lifters again. In a old post on pelican parts, I posted the 356 lifter need. One member said to have the lifters magnaflux and x rayed and reheatreated, will this be I good fix? Or just have the lifter bores re-bushed for the type one lifters.

Since I already have the bushing installed into my case, I hope it won't be to hard to machine the bushing to accept the type one tool steel lifers.

So, back to my question, is there a problem in Nitriding the cam? I had City Steel heat treat my cam to I believe 61 Rockwell, and have since bought the tool steel lifters.

Lastly, who sells high quality 356 style lifters, ones that I can run dual springs.

Last edited by effvee; February 15th 2015 at 13:41.
Old February 26th 2015, 11:26

Nitriding the cam will not affect tool steel lifters. If that happened,they were not tool steel lifters All cast iron cams are nitrided and/or heat treated,unless they would wear too quickly.
Old February 26th 2015, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Nitriding the cam will not affect tool steel lifters. If that happened,they were not tool steel lifters All cast iron cams are nitrided and/or heat treated,unless they would wear too quickly.
Very good for me, over kill