GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 5th 2008, 10:35

a arm anti-roll

hello,I have been considering changing the front end of my bj beam to a rednine a arm suspension setup,there appears to be one major issue with the a-arm setup this is the lack of antiroll bar available for this a-arm setup , i presume that most modern cars still have anti roll bars fitted to their front suspension and therefore on an a arm setup it is still required to stop roll.
Would i be correct in this asumption or am i missing something .
I am just wondering with what you gain in having truly independant suspension you would loose in body roll under hard cornering ,
I admit i could be way off the mark here (and am secretly hoping so)
so feel free to explain what i am missing or is it homemade anti roll bar time (i think one of those whiteline adjustable bj ones could be made to fit)
cheeers jon
zx7rr
Old May 6th 2008, 04:18

I guess how much the roll centre height has changed will affect what the requirements are..

You've got me into a serious project with your previous suggestion of using 996 rear suspension, I'm now planning a new chassis using 996 front AND rear suspension! I figured this would be easier than chopping up a stock one and ending up very compromised in between.

Rich

Last edited by ricola; May 6th 2008 at 04:22.
Old May 6th 2008, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
hello,I have been considering changing the front end of my bj beam to a rednine a arm suspension setup,there appears to be one major issue with the a-arm setup this is the lack of antiroll bar available for this a-arm setup , i presume that most modern cars still have anti roll bars fitted to their front suspension and therefore on an a arm setup it is still required to stop roll.
Would i be correct in this asumption or am i missing something .
I am just wondering with what you gain in having truly independant suspension you would loose in body roll under hard cornering ,
I admit i could be way off the mark here (and am secretly hoping so)
so feel free to explain what i am missing or is it homemade anti roll bar time (i think one of those whiteline adjustable bj ones could be made to fit)
cheeers jon
I think a roll bar is still needed, but a small one. Bugs are soo light, I'm not sure that the diameter would be very much at all. I'm going to wait and let the car tell me how much roll bar it needs, spring rates are the first step, then shock tuning, then roll bar after that is my order. What do you have up your sleeve Jon?!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 6th 2008, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I guess how much the roll centre height has changed will affect what the requirements are..

You've got me into a serious project with your previous suggestion of using 996 rear suspension, I'm now planning a new chassis using 996 front AND rear suspension! I figured this would be easier than chopping up a stock one and ending up very compromised in between.

Rich
Yeeee haaaa! Make sure the pics are plentiful!!! I'm going to have to live vicariously through Ricola Racing!

You and Jon need to hook up...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 7th 2008, 14:34

Hi Jason, well hopefully the engine will be sorted buy the end of may,
new ally case new barrels (detonation took care of two of the others )
massive intercooler with two fans ,oh and some 1.4 roller rockers .
Just bought the ecu for the engine management today, made buy these guys ,http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/products.htm it was between this and a dta s60 but this thing will run low impeadence injectors and has a inbuilt map sensor upto 60psi and also switchable maps .We now have a biofuel ethonol garage at york so it will be 116 octane for me and a laughable amount of boost .This will also control the ignition so the ghia will be getting some nice mallory kit on it from my car .I now have a long custom made oil cooler which i am going to fit under the frame horns in line with the axles .This is the final incarnation of type 1 in my car , if this vvv expensive engine blows then it will be alternate power for me although i hardly think in a standard form .
I am going to mail rich about the rear of the 996 as i have looked at it and i don't believe it will be that difficult to physically position it in my car( famous last words ) as i have no back seats so loads of room underneath although i think attaching the suspension to a roll cage would be my prefered method , the real ball buster is working the spring rate out and trying to figure the ride height , i suspect trial and error will come into play here .Well suspension is over the winter so a bit of time yet .
enough waffling from me

p.s Helen says hello and there will be a present in the post for you???
zx7rr
Old May 7th 2008, 16:53

Jon,
FYI, I was talking to Marco Mansi at the volksworld show and he has mocked it all up pulled in to fit under his stock bug wings and it fitted. The only reason he didn't do it was that the wasserboxer exhaust ports were in the wrong place and interfered with the suspension, he reckoned I'd be fine running my scooby lump...
Rich