GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 13th 2004, 18:05

2316 with 45 Dells, BAS header (no mufflers on this run), 44x38 (if i remember correctly)...

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old July 13th 2004, 18:05

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoRay
Power, reliability, cheap. You get to pick two.
The more economical you go the more power and/or longevity you will give up. There's no way around it. Powerful, long-lasting motors cost money.
Old July 13th 2004, 18:56

If it's cheap enough to build! It's cheap enough to rebuild. All depends on that ratio. IE if I takes me 100 bucks to build a 180HP engine that will last 50K miles, but it would cost me 150 bucks that will last 100K miles. It's best to go with the latter.

How did you build that engine!! That is PERFECT! What cams? Dispmacement? Headwork? CR, heads..etc
Old July 13th 2004, 19:03

Also what tranny do you use with it? How do you like it?

I want one of these engines! Looks like one of jakes?
Old July 13th 2004, 19:23

Also I wonder what the power is like below 2500. Is it streetable? The numbers at 2500 start out higher then the 2270 type C. And that Dyno sheet starts at 2500 too. (besides that little intro curve. don't tell me the 2270C has no power below that )
Old July 13th 2004, 19:45

I'm making 170hp stock. Stock bottom end is good to 300hp, everything else is good to 400hp (turbo'ed or supercharged). I gave $350 for the engine on ebay and it had never been run (brand new). It will pull to 7k, all day, every day... there's just one big huge catch...it's watercooled
VKG Bastage child
Old July 13th 2004, 21:11
Administrator

Zen's engine is a Jake engine. His trans was built by Jake to match it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 13th 2004, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31
How did you build that engine!! That is PERFECT! What cams? Dispmacement? Headwork? CR, heads..etc
Jake and Jake. Took a lot of guesswork and costly errors out of the equation for me. I figured an engine like that didn't need to be my first build (his kits take care of that if you have the time to do the build). I wanted something stupid powerful...got it. Can't beat leveraging the research.

Old July 14th 2004, 01:18

Jakes engine that I saw on there didn't produce 180HP? So you just called jale and ordered a 2316 and a type 2 (or was it type b?) tranny?

Does he offer it as a kit? That car of yours must be a HOOT!! How long is it suposed to last? How can I build one?
Old July 14th 2004, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31
Jakes engine that I saw on there didn't produce 180HP? So you just called jale and ordered a 2316 and a type 2 (or was it type b?) tranny?

Does he offer it as a kit? That car of yours must be a HOOT!! How long is it suposed to last? How can I build one?
easiest way to handle all of that is just call jake and talk with him. he can talk you through what you need as long as you know what you want out of the car. based on what you mutually agree you need, he can tell you cost and longevity.

Old July 14th 2004, 18:30

Alright, wherever I go, and ask engine questions. I get Talk to Jake Talk to Jake. I've got the idea.. I've also gotten a few. "Ya whatever go build a 1916 type 1 and boost it!" And mabey one person sugested to build a 2117 T1.

would it be worth it to build a big or turbo type 1 while saving for jakes kit (the only type 1 stuff I have is mabey a tired engine. I may be able to get some ratio rockers and some 041 heads. Where as I have a 1.8 or 2.0L T4 shortblock with Webber 44s and manifolds. They all need rebuilds)

or should I just say ya whatever and put the car in the gerage (the 1600 thats in it is tired. Don't know how tired but it's tired) and save to buy the engine and stuff it in? (in the mean time all the money from my old car will go into this car doing paint and interior work)

Or should I just drive it as a tired 1600? How reliable are the tired 1600s? If it will slowly yet reliably. I can save mucho gas $$ buy not driving the 4200lb Ranchero!
Old July 14th 2004, 19:19

Here's what I would do I were in your shoes. Take your core Type IV engine, rebuild it, put a cam in it and some Porsche 2L heads on it. That should be good for about 120 horses, plenty to spank most hondas and some slower 8's. Save your money and get a sick engine from Jake or another reputable builder. While your at it go through the suspension, then the interior/paint. Looking at the pics it looks like it's straight enough to drive, looks wise.

Nick
Old July 14th 2004, 20:22

Makes me wonder how many magic beans that will cost? perahps it would be better to boost 'er I can build it so junkyard rebuilt turbo.

I'm used to my MK2 VR6 with chip. 13.8 @ 102 in the quarter. never clocked 0-60.
Old July 14th 2004, 21:13

It will cost a lot less then a another engine to replace the one that you grenaded cause you didn't build up the internals to take the boost. If you want reliable power go N/A, if you want a timebomb rocket go turbo. You could always stuff a H2O engine with turbo in your bug, like a 1.8T, or there abouts. Thats a reliable 180 horses, sure your decklid won't close but it's a turbo.
Old July 14th 2004, 22:37

To turbo the engie will reqire the carburetors to be modified to handle boost. You must decide on draw through or blow through set-up. If you go with a draw through design you must have a turbo with a special seal to handle extreme vaccum. I think its called a carbon seal but I'm not sure. Other wise when you close the throttle quickly and cause a strong vaccum in the turbo the engine oil can be sucked out of the turbo and through your engine. Most turbos from production cars don't have the required seal for a draw through design. To blow through requires extensive work to the carbs to make them able to enrich themselfs under boost. You might want to do some reading on turbo charging your engine. "Turbomania" is a good book if a little dated, but still good information. There is another book that I used to have, I think it was called "turbocharging your engine" or something like that. The book had a calloway twin turbo V-8 on the cover and a turbo Mclaren on the rear cover. Maybe somebody knows what the name of that book really is. Anyway there was some good general turbo information in that book.

Or you could go fuel injected...
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe