GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 3rd 2006, 23:29

Hope everyone had a good turkey day, we had quite the to do with 25 people people here. I deep fried a 20lb turkey since nobody here had done that before and we cooked a 15lb turkey the slow way as well. Had some fun lowering the turkey into the frier with the engine hoist and overall everything went well.

Today was the first time I could get to the bug since turkey day and I sent the day fabbing up the exhaust. I ordered a combo 180 and 45 degree mandrel bent 304 stainless 2.25pipe to modify the existing header.

I hacked off a straight cut by the flex pipe to make life a little easier then added about a 100 degree bend out of the 180 to put the turbo next to the engine brace. I also welded a tab to the engine brace to support the weight of the turbo.

I'm really running out of room back there! One of my worries is that the slave cylider is too close to the turbo and it'll boil the brake fluid in the slave. I've already got header wrap and a turbo blanket but i think i might need something t\on the slave cylinder as well.

Old December 3rd 2006, 23:42

Also fabbed up a new down pipe by cutting up a $150 part from ebay. It's a 3" bellmouth downpipe and it had all the bends I needed so under the knife it went. I cut off the bellmouth right where it meets the 3" pipe and cut out a couple of 90ish degree bends and put them all back together again. I did have to cut into the fender well a bit to make room but everything clears. An added bonus is that the borla muffler just slips right over the down pipe so i'll probably cut a small slit in the muffler pipe and clamp it on. That way if it's too noisy for some tracks I can slip on a super trapp.

Old December 4th 2006, 07:14

nice work there humble:agree:
Old December 14th 2006, 03:30

looks good so far, once your done you should come up here to sacramento and gimme a hand installing my new engine and tranny....my roommate is useless lol.
-= 76 cadillac seville (me & dad's) =-
-= 2002 toyota sequoia (brother's) =-
-= 99 ford explorer =-
-= 2005 Cayenne S =-
Old December 16th 2006, 14:07

Heh, I know how that goes. I'm always up for a night of wrenching with beer and pizza
Old March 20th 2007, 01:53

Wow, where does time go? Things have been crazy around here since x-mas and only this month have started to settle down. I got the first chance since my last post to work on the bug (no I'm not kidding) and was able to get a few things done this weekend.

Moved the bug around the drive way to clear some room by the garage. This is the first time it's been on the ground since I added a spline to the rear end to pick it up a bit and I love the stance now.

Also wrapped the header and bolted it on. While I was at it I put the oil pan back on for the last time.

better shot of the new ground clearance

This weekend I got the clutch pedal plumbed and bled. Also put the last touches on the rear brakes so as soon as my EBC Yellow pads get here I can bleed them. Picked up an aluminum dash panel so I'll try to get my gauges wired up soon.

Speaking of gauges, I have an autometer electric speedo since I no longer have the cable drive front spindles. I just odered a porsche abs wheel speed sensor that looks like it works like a VR (variable reluctor) sensor. Has anybody used an electric speedo before?
Old April 3rd 2007, 22:39

Long weekend and nice weather bring updates!

Spent a few days working on the bug, trying in vain to make a race at the end of April. Got my intercooler radiator mounted and intercooler water lines run through the tunnel (that took a day by itself :P) Finished the exhaust so all it needs is a support at the muffler exit so the whole thing isn't hanging from the turbo. Spent another day cutting the existing metal dash out of the bug, and putting the new aluminum dash panel together. After getting the gauges in place I started the gauge wiring which will have it's own loom to the back of the car. I've always liked the idea of center mounted tach/speedo in the dash. The idea here is to make them easily readable at a glance and high visibility for the roll cage mounted camera. I was hoping to have my brake system bled but the pads that showed up were for the wrong car. I ordered the EBC yellow brake pads for an 89 turbo 944 from thepartsbin.com but non-turbo pads showed up (1/2" difference in width). When looking up the correct part#'s I discovered that I need pads for a porsche 930 turbo (same size all around) whereas the late model 944 turbo had larger front pads. (oops) So I ordered the correct parts in hawk pads this time, and I'm still waiting for an RMA# for $250 in brake pads I can't use. The joys of frankenstein cars....

Now for the pics!

2 pass intercooler radiator from a Ford Lightning in front, Koyo rx7 turbo radiator behind it

same thing from the top, not much room in there...

Finished exhaust from the side, 36" or so turbo back 3" diameter. I'll probably cut some sheet aluminum to make a small heat shield for the fender and protect it from flames/fire of the exhaust.

And finally the new dash panel, all the gauges are electric due to engine location. The gauges are oil press, oil temp, water temp, boost, and fuel level, with speedo and tach in the middle. The speedo is a gamble, I'm going to try and use the signal from a vr sensor on the front hub that used to be for abs. I have to check with autometer to see if this is a viable solution otherwise I need to find a different sensor and mount it elsewhere. The notches cut into the dash panel are for the stock grab handle, I think the passenger will need it.
Old April 4th 2007, 00:32

Looks great, Do you think you will be able to see the tack? lol
Old April 5th 2007, 00:17

yeah, I made sure to check each step of the way before making things final. The edge of my hand on the steering wheel blocks part of the 1-2k range but the rest of the tach is very readable. who needs to see 1-2k anyway
Old April 7th 2007, 21:38

Any pictures off your turbo intercooler
Old April 9th 2007, 16:40

Are you going with the suby swap simply because it's cheaper and easier or what?

put some vids up once on the track
Old April 16th 2007, 14:04

Sorry for the delay, been really busy this week both at work and at home.

brujo65: The intercooler isn't plumbed yet but I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

badassbug: I went with the subie swap because it was both cheaper and more reliable. $1000 gets me a stock base motor that makes around 275-300hp. After pricing out type 4 motors with turbo options that could withstand regular track days the choice was easy. Add to that the much larger after market support for the subie vs the type 4 and that was the nail in the coffin.

That being said, the subaru is definitely not the easy route by any stretch of the word. It would have been far easier had I gone with the type 4. I still have my old race motor and a spare type 4 kicking around that I plan to use in another street bug someday.
Old October 19th 2007, 21:15

I'm not dead, and neither is this project!

Thought I'd check back in (only 6 months later) and let you guys know that this project is alive once more. In late april/early may life got really hectic for me, between long work weeks, being the friend who's a mechanic or the friend with the truck, and a lengthy divorce, I just got burned out. But life has a funny way to make you sort your priorities.

In late June I found out I was going blind, fast. I'd developed multiple retinal tears and detached retinas in both eyes due to extreme myopia. For those in the know I had a -11 correction factor and retinal tears can develope around -6/7. I was already half blind in my right eye when I went in for emergency surgery in July and have been in and out of the eye docs office since. Things are finally looking up and though my vision is a lot worse now that is was, I can still see. So today was (hopefully) my final laser surgery, and I can finally kick start this project again.

Work has technically already resumed since I've been working the wiring harness but I'll save that for the next update.
Old October 19th 2007, 21:31

Geezus-you have had a bad run lately-good luck with your recovery though-hope all goes well for you.Keep us posted on your project-you are doing an exceptional job there.Wishing you all the best.
Old October 20th 2007, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I'm really running out of room back there! One of my worries is that the slave cylider is too close to the turbo and it'll boil the brake fluid in the slave. I've already got header wrap and a turbo blanket but i think i might need something t\on the slave cylinder as well.

Good thread.

I know your probably past this point, but I thought I'd mention that Motul has a high temp DOT 4 Brake/Clutch fluid called "Racing Brake Fluid 600". It has a high boiling point of 585º F, 307º C, and mixable with std DOT 3, 4 and DOT 5.1 (not the silicone or mineral based types). You should be able to get it at any motorcycle shop selling brake fluid from the motorcycle parts distributor "Parts Unlimited" - Part # MOT36.

It isnt cheap, I think the last time I bought some for my ZRX1100, it went for about $15-$16 bones for a 500ml bottle. Works great for racing applications though. You've already wrapped your exhaust, and I expect you've already researched the various high-temp fluids out there, but I thought I'd suggest it for you.

Good luck on your recovery.

Last edited by kelwa1; October 20th 2007 at 14:16. Reason: .