GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

View Poll Results: what option do i go with?
ghia/drums with stock m/c 1 33.33%
ghia/drums with 944 m/c 1 33.33%
951/drums with 944 m/c 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13th 2003, 22:02

tough decision

well i am in crunch time to make a must-attend show. looks like i will not be able to do my 944 suspension and brakes conversion in time for the show, so i am on to Plan B just temporarily. but Plan B has some options. all mean leaving the rear suspension alone for now. i already pulled all hard brake lines and replaced the long one and bent the front of it for the 944 m/c. replacing the center line later is not an option. it must stay.

option 1:
leave my ghia disk on the front and rear drums, rebend the center line for the stock m/c and put the stock m/c in (have new replacement). then run the rest of the lines. then over the winter break it all down and redo it for 944 all the way around.

option 2:
same as option 1, but use the 944 m/c since i have already started plumbing for it. not sure what impact this will have on fluid movement, bias, etc.

option 3:
since i will have the spindles with the conversion rotors, hubs, calipers, etc already put together, put those on, leave the rear drums and go with the 944 m/c. again, not sure what impact this has on bias, etc when running 951 brakes up front and rear drums. ONLY TEMPORARY!

all that said, i may not even drive the car down. i may just trailer it and never run it. not sure though. i would rather run it, but i have ALOT to do yet.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 14th 2003, 16:22

Option 1:

Works!

Option 3:

Closer bias to option 1 than

Option 2:

Trust your instinct

Matt
Old October 19th 2003, 12:52

TTT.

i know there has to be some other opinions out there considering the mass discussion on brake bias, etc. i am hoping you guys keep me pointed in the right direction from doing something stupid. i think it is alright, but other thoughts are always welcome.

it seems to me that since i can not get 944 all the way around right now and going back to the stock m/c is not really an option (already have the 944 hooked up, that sticking with the ghia disks and rear drums is the closest to front and rear biasing vs. 951 fronts and rear drums. most can make the switch from front drums to ghia disks with no change in proportioning or m/c. so i am assuming about the same amount of fluid is pushed and that even with a bigger 944 m/c, i am pushing about the same front to rear. with the 951 fronts it seems that the rears would lockup very easy compared to clamping those fronts down. but i am an amateur at brakes.

this setup up is only to get me to a show in FL and back and will be coming off in the winter to make the conversion. so no long term plans with this setup. but i want to be safe while running it. if there is no safe way to do it, i will tow it down with this setup and do the conversion as planned.

help keep me straight and safe here.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design