GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old November 4th 2006, 21:06

Power Problems (Something with Distributor)

Okay, recently I've had to replace 3 ignition rotors and 1 distributor cup. I've ground the block to the body and still problems. I have flat spots at high rpms, I've lost some acceleration and performance. It feels like its running out of gas in all RPM ranges. I need some advice and quick, I've lost my patience. It use to run sweet and then......

I've recently has it timed, valves adjusted, carbs sync, heads tighten, and I've added fuel additives to clean carbs and line. I have suspicions my distributor is the problem. Either I need a new one or tweak and upgrade the one I have.

1915 CC
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster Coil
009 Distributor
Petronix Ignitor
Stock plugs and wires
Optima battery (red)
Dual 34's

Last edited by elev8_dude; November 5th 2006 at 20:02. Reason: Title
Old November 4th 2006, 21:44

your system lacks two things IMO, better spark plugs and their wires. Some say the stock wires are the best. I disagree with that, because they can circulate the current or the volts of the MSD Blaster Coil or generally any advanced coil... I had them on my 1776, Petronix ignitor and FlameThrower I coil equiped engine and after about 10K kms they were "fried". Changed them to SPIRO 8mm silicone wires and observed (mostly felt) better hi rpm running (6200-6500 rpm), but im sure the engine felt like it didn't had to work that hard to get to 6500. Also observed better fuel economy (down to 7.5Lt/100 Kms.Calculated) in normal driving conditions in windy roads with light to medium traffic. So there is some gain from the wires in my case. In NO way Im trying to advertize anything. This is a statement of individual observation with NO personal gain whatsoever. On the other hand im not using the stock plugs. Im very sorry but i can;t recall which ones atm ( 3 months away from my car now), but will report back as soon as i get back home.

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old November 13th 2006, 13:20

goodday, just want to ask you guys, I have a relatively stock engine, equipped with a Bosch 009 w/ points and as of now a stock Bosch Blue coil, an Accel 7mm wires and MSD 6A box, now my friend is coming home and I asked him to buy for me a set of 8.5mm MSD wires, and a MSD Blaster 2 coil, am I going in the right direction here if I still use my 009 dizzy, MSD 6A and my newly acquired MSD 8.5 wires and Blaster coil?

Thanks in advance guys, really need help on this one thanks.
Old November 13th 2006, 20:32

IMO get rid of the points and replace them with an msd ignitor; or something
points tend to hop and the result is improper ignition and pinking on top rpm.
Plus no more hassle on those dump mornings etc.running one for 4 years and no prob what so ever...

Not really familiar with the MSD range... ( too expensive where i live)

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old November 14th 2006, 03:05

ok thanks for the info. sir