GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old July 9th 2005, 02:10

CF wheels

Just to add to the long list of cf itmes, I thought I'd mention this. I haven't found much luck with finding other companies that produce cf wheels for cars. There are lots more available for motorcycle and bicycles.
http://www.carbonmadness.com/products.html
Old July 10th 2005, 12:23

The problem lies in the weight of the vehicle.

All the of the carbon wheels and stuff for bicycles normally has a 180-200lb weight limit including weight of bicycle...

For motorcycles, the wheels are supporting AT MOST 600-700lbs. Typical wet weight of a motorcycle is around 400lbs....+200lb rider. Motorcycle wheels also differ in that, impact resistance isn't factored in and are HOLLOW, more or less a cast, and not solid. How many motorcyclists have you seen run over potholes? Even during a hard letdown wheelie or stoppie, suspension gathers most of the impact. And well, most stunters don't buy carbon wheels, lol. Most racing bikes that have carbon wheels, after one highside, the wheels are DONE, whereas the AL ones most of the time are salvageable, depending on how bad the accident of course

Also, curb rash aren't issues for motorcycles. You have to factor in that for a car. The carbon could crack after one rash or curb ding...

That and the intense amount of load put on the leaned side of the car during hard cornering put almost all of the weight of the car onto two wheels. And it's not a strictly vertical weight like is stopping or acceperating, it's HEAVY lateral weight bias on those wheels...

It comes down to basically, liability....
Old July 10th 2005, 13:54

The curb rash is a good point. I personally have never damaged any wheel from curb parking. Especially not in a bug. There are bad drivers out there though and I can see how that would be a down side to cf wheels.
Old July 11th 2005, 13:02

If those spokes are c/f and only c/f, then it is "carbonmadness" indeed. One pothole, one curb, one anything similar--kaBLOOey--it'll explode to dust.

Hopefully, it's a c/f hybrid.