GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 5th 2006, 17:13

Smile long time lurker... new poster ;)

I figured I would put up one of these “who am I” type posts….

I’ve been lurking around here for about a year or so… found this site about the same time I decided I was going to bring the old girl out of retirement. Brief history on us:
- dad bought me the car in 94 or so, marina blue 74 super, with a seized motor, 49k on the clock, for $400
- we proceeded to redo it, engine, paint, etc. and went from there. I picked up a used Muholland kid (sans the whale tail) and put that on. The interior was typical late 80’s styling, vinyl and velour covers, and vinyl button tuck door panels. Everything else was as it came from the factory.
- I showed / drove it for a couple years, then had to park it for holes in the floor that wouldn’t pass inspection…. That was in 1995

It’s been parked in a garage ever since, with having nothing done to it, except the occasional look over… and ponder. My wife has recently given me the go-ahead, blessing, and financial support to bring the old girl back. My 2 sons (3 and 5) just looooove the car, and “drive” it whenever we go to the garage. For fathers day last year, I got a new battery for it. I turned the motor over, added some fresh oil, and hit the key

Vrooooom…. Dang thing fired right up… I never woulda guessed it. It was never properly stored, basically just driven in, and shut off. then after about 5 seconds, gas started sewing from every possible seal on the carb, so I shut her down.

This time around, I think I’m leaning more towards the German Look for a final result… I’ve decided to keep the wide fenders, lose the Muholland bumper and in its place use 2 cal-look style bumpers (front and rear) with the rear having clear lenses for my taillights. The stoopid sunvisor will be gone, as well as the fiberglass running boards. The color my wife picked (and we both really like)… a nice bright blue… interior will be either black or grey… most likely a corbeau style seat… lowered slightly, with wide wheels. I’m still undecided on the wheel / tire combo. I’ve been leaning towards wide polished fuchs, although something newer that you would find on a watercooled vw/porsche might work as well… I just don’t know yet.

Anyways… good to be here… lots of information has been gained in the times I’ve read up on things….

Anyone else from PA? I know Oasis is right down the road in Baltimore… not more than an hour or so from me.

Later!
Brian

circa 1992

current condition
Old January 5th 2006, 23:31

looks pretty good...that mullholland is definitly 80s :agree:

im a ways south of you in northern VA
Old January 5th 2006, 23:53

Hey! Welcome!

Yeah I'd say that's 80's alright...how about those square headlighhts! =)

To each his own...I happen to be the weirdo who's turned his 1303 into a retro car ...heheh

It's nice to see you've kept your car in such nice condition over the years! I can hardly bekeive those pics were taken more than a day apart...nice job.

I've seen some cars that have been with their owners for just a few years that are already trashed...sad really. I've already scratched my paint a few times since I got it finished and just with in the first week! UGH! the agony.

Wlecome to the forum.
Old January 6th 2006, 07:59

thanks guys.....

so you've got a weirdo retro car eh.... want some niiiiiice retro door panels?

i never cared for the square headlights that the later muhollands had, i kind of like mine with the round recessed ones over that. i think what makes them look "off" is the teal surround that i did. had i kept with the body color, it might not have been so drastic.

some people have commented that the muholland kit, was sort of a predecessor to the german look of today. porsche-ish styling, wider fenders, of course the hideious front airdam... and the whale tail (which thankfully i DON'T have! )

prior to changing colors... this is what i am shooting for... even in a 2 tone... its not quite what i want, but it still isnt too bad

Last edited by bshertzer; January 6th 2006 at 08:31. Reason: pic added
Old January 9th 2006, 10:29

throw a spanner in the worx... build a 80's style German look combo.
Keep the Mulholland look, but go the way of the big German cars. Good clean paint job, big Porsche mags and Discs, Roll cage and big engine. Turbo maybe... incorperate the intercooler into a rear wing.

Will definitely be different and if done right, will prob look really good too. Think about it
Old January 9th 2006, 15:39

yea... i'm just not sold on anything yet. the line art above would be more if i would add wheels, and lower it. i kind of like the 2 tone... but i dunno.

the color i like is really nice, its just a shame that whenever i see a nice blue bug... they all sort of look alike, except for wheels, and whatever other little touches there are. the 2 tone, especially done like i aready have is not nearly as common as say the "classic style" 2 tone of the 50's/60's beetles you see.

i like the clean look of the rounded front end, without the muholland airdam, even the kamei spoilers just dont "quite" do it for me. once i get the cancer taken care of on it, it will prob. be another year or two until i would get all of the body redone. i'll just get new bumpers, remove the windshield visor, and maybe get new wheels for now... possibly lower it... but all the other "cosmetics" will come later. i just want to get behind the wheel of it again