GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old February 21st 2006, 08:24

deciding on new color

after the summer I'm having my '72 standard bug (with 280hp suby engine) repainted.
I have carbon fiber running boards, a cf front decklid (<'69)from Remelle (which I would like to keep having the 2 inner parts' weave visible) and a cf rear hood (same story as front).

I'll be ordering cf doors as wel (will only leave the inside unpainted) and a cf dash and rear interior pannels.The bumpers will be removed also.

The wheels are completely polished 18" BBS Le Mans under widened fenders.

I was thinking a black metallic to blend in with the cf or maybe a matt black (but that won't blend as well).

Any other colors that would blend in with the cf parts that you guys have pics of?

current color:
Old February 21st 2006, 10:54

Hi! As you know you have 2 choices:
1, choose a very dark colour (black, gray) to "hide" your c/f parts
2, you give a vivacious color to your car to put your c/f parts in everyone's attention
I'll do the second one, my bug will be yellow (metallic) with c/f running boards+interior+ some smaller parts
Some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982459.jpg (36.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 156_a5ed78cebfdb05b0d7d28d2ef766b9f2.jpg (75.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Dscf1068.jpg (39.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg rsk00.jpg (39.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (79.7 KB, 64 views)
Old February 21st 2006, 10:59

some more :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fahrzeuge028.jpg (30.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg gallery_471_2_60108.jpg (62.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg fahrzeuge009.jpg (31.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fahrzeuge010.jpg (34.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg fahrzeuge011.jpg (30.2 KB, 60 views)
Old February 21st 2006, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom'72
after the summer I'm having my '72 standard bug repainted. I have ... a cf front decklid ... (which I would like to keep having the 2 inner parts' weave visible) and a cf rear hood (same story as front).
This is a very unique idea that I like a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom'72
I was thinking a black metallic to blend in with the cf or maybe a matt black (but that won't blend as well).
Here is where I'm confused. It seems to be a lot of effort (and perhaps cost) to paint this way only to not be able to see it.

I would think making the inner area's weave visible would demand a contrasting color. It could vivacious like a bright yellow or more subdued like a silver. A real dark color that is near black would also look effective. Even a deeply layered black would look very nice.

A metallic black depending on its nature may compete with the weave rather than contrast with it.

A flat or matte black should almost be the opposite. In other words, the inner area should be matte (to calm down the reflecting sun or reflecting lights at night) and the surrounding area showing the weave. Then, the remaining car color could be dealer's choice.

And you're the dealer.
Old February 21st 2006, 22:39

The problem with black metallic is that you cannot have a true black metallic. Black gets real grainy if you use metallic or it starts to tun gray. You may better luck with a black/pearl tri-coat. Or with the flakes sprayed on top, which is still a tri-coat ( tri-coat equals paint-pearl or flake-clear coat. Honda does have a couple of "black metallics" ,but they don't look to much different than regular black. The problem comes from the fact that black absorbs more light than the flake can reflect opposite is true of "white metallic." A reputable shop will tell you this up front. Others will charge you a load of cash for less than desireable returns. According to DuPont Refinish Tech trainers you should look for colors that are not overly bright or dark. Blues, reds, greens,all work well. Any paint supplier should have chip books for you to go over. Hope this helps some. I think that Subaru's Rally Blue is pretty sweet, Ryan
Old February 22nd 2006, 07:44

The flakes-on-top is the version I have seen and is what I think would conflict with rather than compliment a c/f weave. The black/pearl tri-coat is a dynamite suggestion--I think it is my new favorite choice.

Oops, it's not my car.
Old February 22nd 2006, 15:19

You can get some really cool results form the Black/Pearl tri-coat or any pearl tri-coat for that matter. The color changes with each coat of pearl you add. Just make sure that you keep the thickness of your caots down to avoid lifting or peeling problems. Working in the industry allowed me to make some freakin' awesome colors on the company dime,lol.
Old February 26th 2006, 18:50

Have you decided yet??