GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old October 21st 2003, 09:31

Other Car Test Driven.. (EVO)

Well definitely off topic, but this weekend after working on my New Maxx Struts and getting my Kersher ball joints installed I had to break from the Car stuff to spend some time with the family..

Headed to NY to visit family when I had the opportunity to run into a friend from the neighborhood who as one of the Relatively new Mistubishi Lancer Evolution VIII's... All I can say is WOW...

Very impressive auto... Sick stearing, but boarding scary.. requires your complete concentration... Slightly stiff for daily driving but the recaro's make it worth it.. As far as POWER.. this is the highest HP vehicle I have ever driven so I was very impressed, as my daily driver is WRX.. Night and Day between the two cars..

Again off topic but now that I got a tast of some serious hp, I will have to start saving at a faster rate to get one of those Raby's Type IV monsters.. They say HP is addictive and once you get a taste you are hooked and want more.. COULD BE MORE TRUE..

Now if I can find an Subaru STI to Test, at least that one is a boxer enging and convince the wife that this is what I need..

Alex
Old October 21st 2003, 12:08

Hey Loaf, that's great.

I drive a WRX as well, and would love to try the Sti or the EVO.
Horsepower wars are back !

Rob.
Old October 21st 2003, 18:00

It is nice to see a horsepower war, ala 60's Muscle. I think it is legitimizing the import car scene in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The STI is more my style, that is, if I had to choose one.

Speaking of Subarus, and since you both drive them, how do you judge it on reliability? Just curious, as I am interested in a used WRX as a daily driver one day. Other choice is a new VW of some sort, and I hear sketchy things about their reliability.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old October 21st 2003, 20:26

Mike,

I drove an Impreza RS for 4 years before the WRX. Loved it.
No reliability problems.

As to a used WRX, I don't think you'll find reliability problems there, the only thing could be that it has been driven hard.

Make sure the tranny shifts fine and that the clutch isn't worn.

Rob.
Old October 21st 2003, 22:14

Mike, I second that..

Mine is a 2003 model and is running fine..

Only issue that I had was some clutch shudder, but apparently SOA (subaru of america) had a fix for it, and those that suffered the recurring shudder got a new clutch and improved parts.. For me this occurred at the 15000 mile mark.. I currently have almost 40,000 and drive about 110 miles round trip to work, gym and home..

Overall, it is a great car.. I know your more interested in reliablity, but the car is fun.. just enough power to keep you entertained.. No brake or suspension issues, but there seems to be issues with the glass tranny 5-speed that the impreza has.. but as long as your not doing 5000 rpm clutch dumps or slamming thru gears you should be alright.. Don't get me wrong, I do have fun and in two weeks or so will be going to Limerock, Ct to get better acquainted with my Scooby..

Some minor interior noise.. like some rattles.. but I just raise the volume

Again, if you keep it stock with minor upgrades, reliability shouldn't be an issue.. With the turbo, ensure your changing your oil regularly..

If you have more questions, feel free.. Not trying to change this into wrx forum German Look all the way...

Alex

PS STI is my choice also, but since I haven't had a chance to drive it (all I did was sit in it, was raining and did not want to chance it with the dealership salesman) and can only compare the Evo and WRX.. either way, wooooooow HP + AWD = wet seat
Old October 22nd 2003, 06:48

Thanks for the info guys. Reliability is a huge factor, but fun is as well. The other serious contender when I am finally ready for another car is a GTI VR6. I guess I'd have to test drive them and see which I like better. But the WRX does have AWD, and I do live in NYC. Anybody remember last year's blizzard?

Plus the WRX and the VR6 sound so good with an aftermarket exhaust :yummy:

The only car that would make me forget about the WRX and the VR6 is a Vortex Blue New Beetle. Something about having matching cars...

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old October 22nd 2003, 21:50

A mag put a Sti and a EVO head to head and the EVO won, I haven't read the article so I don't know the details, hell I can't even remember the mag's name. I personally like the Sti better too, it doesn't even come with a stereo.

Nick
Old October 22nd 2003, 22:08

It was probably Sport Compact Car that had the head on comparo.

The EVO is way to busy for me. Too many angles and lines. STI is much smoother and muscular. And I love the cartoonish hood scoop and wing. Why? I just don't know

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old October 23rd 2003, 00:18

I too got to drive an EVO 8,tarmac black, man what a car!
It is the highest hp output of a 4-cylinder production car ever, and boy can you tell. Its amazing how when you press the throttle down, that turbo winds up you just plain sink into the seat, I agree though, it is kinda scary, but a good kinda scary!! I too think the stearing was NUTS fast, but what would expect from a rally car!! I think i could get used to it!!

I would seriously buy one for a DD, while working on my vw, but since the demand is so high, the sticker price is through the roof!! (they were askin $38,000!) I was also told this will most likley be the only year it is sold in the US, and only 6500 were built for the US, so once theyre gone, theyre gone!

Although, with a super reliable T4, discs, and a quite interior, etc I could be plain happy with a aircooled vw as my DD!!!
Old October 23rd 2003, 09:17

Euro,

Yep Evo is nice, and scary.. All together a nice package.. Mark up has been an issue, but surprisingly in certain parts the demand hasn't been as high and some have sold for near invoice.. that goes for the STI also.. but you have alot of leg work to do to purchase one..

Once I test drive the STI with the Wife, I will post experience.. Hope they aren't as limited production as expected.. Think it will be based on sales numbers..

For a DD they are both hell of a car.. Will start saving in order to trade in the WRX.. but honestly I would prefer my VW vert once it is finished... specially if Type IV powered and if someone picks on her then I would send out the big dog with a big STI BIT..

Just my thoughts..

ALex

PS I could get use to the stearing in the evo but lose concentration and it could spell disaster..