GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old September 1st 2005, 13:08

Watkins Glenn, just got back from audi event

Just got back from an Audi Club, driving event at Watkins Glenn...

Had a blast, and after much work and practice had an opportunity to fly the scooby solo..

Overall, had a blast... The scooby was very quick around the track, and got some attention.. Thank the lord no major incidents...

I ended up tapping all two days.. 6 runs total, so that I can see where I need to make major, and minor improvements.. also to see what my time around the circuit were as well as to see how I was doing from lap to lap..

Audi runs a really good session as part of NEQ.. at the glenn..

I dream of finishing my GL Vert and run it here.. the only thing that scares me is going from AWD, to Rear wheel drive... seen some incidents from people lifting in porsches, and it usually is not pretty... With the scooby, you slide/drift and just get on the gas, and the front start pulling.. much more forgiving..

Did not get a chance to take pics but hopefully I will be able to transfer some of runs to Mpeg..

Unfortunately, this is the last run of the season till next year.. I got lucky and my wife let me go, with under three weeks till she give birth.. lets say I was on a tight leash..

Any questions let me know.. alway enjoy sharing stories..
Alex
NNJ
Old September 8th 2005, 09:00

very cool. i am about to break 1000 miles on the STi. then it is time for some serious fun. i also just met a dude that supposedly friends with the Panoz family and runs Road Atlanta a few times a year for free. so hopefully will be seeing that soon.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 8th 2005, 10:13

Zen, so jealous.. about your STI..

Glad to hear your going to use it for what it is intended
My SHO buddy, did Road Atlanta last year with Panoz and loved it.. he said he got so much track time that he actually almost had to sit out a few heats..

We may be doing RA next year, so a convoy from NJ may show up.. still talk now, but would not be surprised if we show up.. I will let you know...
VIR is another one that we may do.. both are a little of haul but from personal experiences from the guys they all rave about VIR..

Everyday is a struggle with me and wanting to get an STI.. As mentioned before I am going to see how the 05 do in resale.. this way I can avoid the first major depreciation.. this would put it more in my price range..Had looked at the 04's but I think the 05 has the better package.. The sad part is, my WRX with the Scooby Sports Package (Stage 2) is plenty quick at Watkins.. and that was with Street tires.. and struts that are on their last leg... With the Subaru 4 pots and track pads, I did not experience the so called brake fad.. could be my driving style.. since I am not as hard on the brakes as other.. late braker, 3-5 second at most, and throttle steer.. All that being said, I could shave another 10-15 seconds with tires, suspension work (struts/race alignement) and cleaner driving.. which is on pace with the Advance Group.. An STI may buy me a couple of seconds, but probably not worth the payment.. Don't get me wrong both cars are different, and a well driven STI, will be faster, but so far to date, have not been able to see how much..

Sorry for the ranting.. I want an STI, but with the Baby, and getting the GL on the road can't have both my cakes and eat them too.. I guess that is reality hitting me in the face.. BTW, if you get a chance join the Audi club.. for your region, they are a very professional group, that has fun.. I recommend them if you want to learn to be a better driver.. Panoz is cool, but they kind of throw you out there and you learn on your own from what I was told.. Let me know if you ever do any NE events..
Take care, and lets see some pics..
Alex