GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old August 22nd 2004, 10:37

wanting a right hand drive car

i was wondering if anyone knows what all you have to go through to get a right hand drive car shipped over to the states from europe. I am wanting a right hand drive 1302 super for my next gl project and have no clue how to go about getting one. or would it be easier to get all the RHD parts and convert a LHD to RHD? This is just a personal thing that i want one of my cars to have so i guess i want one just to have something a little different. any advise would be great.

thanks
Old August 23rd 2004, 07:27

RHD Beetle

I don't know what you have to go through (paper work,tax duties etc) but what I can tell you is that unless you can get some one from this forum to confirm the car is a good one then I would suggest you buy an Austrailian car as you stand a better chance of getting a rust free example.
The last thing you want is to import a pile of rust, besides this I think you will be put off by the price of a rust free UK example.

Rob.
Old August 23rd 2004, 09:30

Hi

I reckon you would be better off using a dash and pedals. For complete cars look here at the for sales, http://www.clubvw.org.au/ Im the webmaster for that site.

Steve C
Old August 23rd 2004, 16:56

i was looking at my car and i think it could be converted over to RHD if i had all the RHD specific parts to do it. I know the pedals and dash are differant but what about the idler arm and steering box? and would the idler bolt in the place of my steering box and vice versa? i would think that tie rods and center link could be used from my car. oh and maybe extend some of the dash wiring and get a longer speedo cable. i have a aftermarket fuse block that i am going to use so i dont have to move that and a aftermarket smooth dash would cure my dash problem. and Steve would you have any of these RHD drive parts laying around that you would be willing to ship overseas?
Old August 24th 2004, 08:40

Here are two sites to check out:

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/ is sort of a British version of theSamba.

Then, there is the UK version of eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/).

The steering box may be different. I saw a rack and pinion on the UK eBay that said it was RHD-specific. I know it's not the same, but the parallel may very well be.

I would also suggest picking up an issue of VolksWorld. Their advertisers cater to British clients first and foremost. RHD dashes and the like should be available.

I have one word of advice. RHD Beetles and Super Beetles have LHD-configured windshield wipers. This would drive me crazy (although I'm just one zip code away from there anyway).
Old August 24th 2004, 11:59

As far as I'm aware the steering is different from RHD to LHD.
If you go on the VOLKZONE web site there are lots of links to UK specalists, and remember they source most of their panelwork ect from the US, so you might find one of them can bring the bits over when they next come over,this will keep the shipping costs down... you never know untill you ask

Rob.
Old August 24th 2004, 14:47

I re-read my post -- this passage in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
The steering box may be different. I saw a rack and pinion on the UK eBay that said it was RHD-specific. I know it's not the same, but the parallel may very well be.
When I said, "it's not the same, but the parallel may very well be," I meant, "the rack and pinion is not the same as the pre-r&p, but the pre-r&p may be the same in that RHD and LHD are specific to themselves only."

Here's another useful site for British links: http://www.allaircooled.com/greatbritain.htm.

A lot of sites list their prices with VAT already attached. If this is the case, here are the formulas to use:

(1st) (Listed Price) / 1.175 = (New Price w/o VAT in £)
(2nd) £ * (Exchange Rate) = $

The current exchange rate for British Pounds Sterling to US Dollars is 1.842401 as of 17 August 2004. This "final result" does not include the carriage charge (a.k.a. shipping and handling) but the deduction of the 17½% surely helps.
Old August 24th 2004, 17:17

thanks for all the help on my project from everybody. i have send lots of emails out to try and locat some parts and find out what all is differant that i need . i am hoping that i can reuse my steering box and idler and just swap them side to side but probally not with my luck. i am going to call Topline and see if they might know the differances since they are really good with supers. and i just remembered that i have two second cousins and a great uncle that live very close to Sydney, Australia so maybe i can get a hook up on some salvage yard parts
Old August 24th 2004, 18:46

Hi

The idler arm and steering box are different, tie rods etc would be the same, I have a steering box and idler arm in my shed. There is a good forum to visit that is aussie based http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/index.php Im 1302Steve on that forum.

I think the biggest hassle would be the cost of shipping, our $ is piss weak so that would be an advantage.

I coluld hook you up with a few local VW shops if you want.

Steve C
Old August 24th 2004, 21:00

Steve if you would part with your parts could you maybe email me at CYBERBUG53@aol.com with a price figure and i could email you my address so we could try to figure a shipping cost. i just wonder if they will bolt onto my car in place of the stock parts. i looked at both mounting points and they look the same from side to side.
Old August 27th 2004, 10:53

I was re-reading your original post and I am now of the belief this thread may be taking you down the wrong path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 721302
i was wondering if anyone knows what all you have to go through to get a right hand drive car shipped over to the states from europe. I am wanting a right hand drive 1302 super for my next gl project and have no clue how to go about getting one. or would it be easier to get all the RHD parts and convert a LHD to RHD?
I know converting is possible. I even saw a RHD Kübel on the British eBay once. That must've taken a lot of tinkering and one-off parts. I looked into the reverse conversion -- RHD-to-LHD -- and decided it was too daunting for me.

I started picking up an issue of VolksWorld every month when I was looking for a car to buy. They have a nice classified section. Each issue has has some interesting cars for sale. There are always a couple of nice 1302s and/or 1303s for sale.

Since Supers were always imported to the states -- unlike Type 181s (1973-74 only) or the '78 Last Edition standard Beetle (never) for example -- there shouldn't be a problem with registration. Heck, since you specifically want a 1302, it should be even easier. That's because (a) the VINs of Supers and standards are muddled together so a RHD version shouldn't trigger anything, and (b) all 1302s are over 30 model years old.

It would be best to check with your state's DMV on details. There may be an issue of whether it will need any kind of inspection. (Maryland doesn't require one if your car is designated as "historic.") I doubt any state has an inspection on a 30-plus year old car on emissions or type of engine. I mention the latter because 1302s in the states came with the 1600cc automatically. That was an option over the 1300cc elsewhere. Also, you would probably ditch low-back bucket seats if your car had them anyway,

The cost of shipping a car from the UK is roughly $1000. That's little different than a coast-to-coast transport here. Now, a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks and, therefore, nothing to snibble at. But how much is a conversion going to cost? Unless there is a lot of difference (or you're the enterprising type), I can't but help think the difference would be worth spending as a properly assembled RHD car has to be superior to a LHD-to-RHD conversion.

Another option is to check out Japan's 1302s for sale, although shipping from there may be more prohibitive.

I think it's worth looking into this option as well especially since you are going to need the bulk of your convesion parts shipped anyway.
Old August 27th 2004, 11:54

oasis i think you are right about having one that was factory RHD being a better car and i am thinking of looking into this route for my next project but i wonder what it would cost to ship one over from Autralia since, like stated above, a UK version might have more rust to deal with. I need to get someone in Australia to find me a 72 RHD that is in good condition as far as pan and all the suspension is there. as far as fenders and engine are concerned i dont really care since it will be getting wider fiberglass fenders when i get it over here. and engine will be replaced when i get it to.
Old August 27th 2004, 20:50

Is there an Australia specific ebay, you might be able to get some idea of the VW market over there. You might also want to start a post in the wanted section that is specific to your needs. There are a few guys here from down under that might be able to help you out.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old October 7th 2004, 19:06

721302, did you ever get your RHD?
Old October 7th 2004, 19:15

i never got a whole car. i did get the steering box and a dash pad but that is all. i kinda switched focus to anthor project and put the RHD on the back burner for awhile. i want to get my front suspension worked out to clear my 18 inch wheels and drive it for awhile while i gather the rest of the parts and find some more info. but if anyone has any of the parts i need let me know what you have and a price and we will talk because i will get this done someday