GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old September 5th 2008, 19:53

Hate to ressurect a long dead thread, but I'm just getting into the upgrade fresh after stumbling onto a dead early 944...

The Omni was just a literally slightly scaled up copy of a VW Golf, so I don't see an issue using teh ball joints if they fit, they likely came from the same factory.
(Many parts are actually interchangeable, the early Omnis even had had 1700cc VW engines in them)

The Mk1 Golf ball joints appear like they could be easily turned on a lathe for a press fit, but if the Omni ones work dimensionally, they may very well be precisely what Kerscher is selling for ~$80 a pop. (For a $12 item available at any FLAPS)
I will be checking them out.

I'm also curious if a Golf strut would work...

The rear Golf springs are about right, and rear Porsche 914 springs as well for use with the 944 struts.

Last edited by piledriver; September 5th 2008 at 19:59.
Old September 5th 2008, 22:06

Pile,

Keep us posted on your Omni excursion.. I may need another set of kersher balljoints and would hate to find out I was paying way too much..

VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old September 6th 2008, 11:36

Anyone have the OD for the stock 1303 ball joint handy?
(and perhaps the length of the late arm)

The ~1980 version of the Omni BJ looks close... As does a Chrysler minivan.
Same style as the 1303s, but retained with a snap ring.

I'm wondering if I could stick them in some Chromemoly plate and weld to the existing 1302 arm, wrap around style.
Not looking at one at the moment, not sure if that's even practical, but would be able to set the width a little longer to cure any positive camber issue.

A extended/welded early steel (forged?) arm could almost certainly be stronger than the stamped steel 1303 arms, and could be easily designed to take the common Omni or perhaps minivan BJ.

Another possibility is add just a tab of CrMo and bolt on a Golf/944 BJ, seems to be more common and cheaper, same basic concept, depends on dimensions,.
Saves having to buy a late sway bar, too.

The bit of steel I'm visualizing would only cost a few bucks. Have a good welder handy, and the 1302 arms will be no loss if I have to use the 1303s.
Have a spare set anyway...

Last edited by piledriver; September 6th 2008 at 18:44.
Old September 8th 2008, 08:19

I changed the bottom arm of my 1303 to a fabricated one with a platform for a standard 944 bottom ball joint that are bolt on not press in (thats a BIG plus in my book). I then was able to use the 944 struts complete with spindle, brakes etc. The advantages of the standard 944 ball joint are that they are off the shelf and are very easy to change.
On reflection I should have used a Heim joint with a fabricated pin to fix into the bottom of the spindle carrier that would have allowed greater camber adjustment. that will now have to wait for the A arms that I intend to fabricate.

evilC
Old September 8th 2008, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
On reflection I should have used a Heim joint with a fabricated pin to fix into the bottom of the spindle carrier that would have allowed greater camber adjustment. that will now have to wait for the A arms that I intend to fabricate.
Interesting point!
Are you sure a heim joint can handle such a large axial load?
Aren't there any high angle ball joints available that would fit?
Old September 8th 2008, 15:28

Still have the overall dimensions for that fabricated arm?
I'm chafing to get on this.

The high angle ball joints I have seem have a very short service life.

I went up and looked again at the 1302--- I see no reason an extension of the existing arms wouldn't work.

The 944 and a Mk1 Golf use the same ball joint AFAIK. That would be the easiest way.

FWIW---

Found a mid-year 944 yesterday at Pick-N-Pull (or mabe it's U-Pull it...) in Garland, Texas yesterday.

Mid year model, steel brakes, but aluminum rear arms.
Had a small fire under the hood (really), silly thing looks easily repairable at first glance.

Seems essentially complete other than the wheels. Still has 1 phone dial on it.

Last edited by piledriver; September 8th 2008 at 15:38.
Old September 10th 2008, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by $aint View Post
Interesting point!
Are you sure a heim joint can handle such a large axial load?
Aren't there any high angle ball joints available that would fit?
We are talking normal formula race car detailing here and the loads on a beetle front suspension are infinitely smaller. when was the last time that a beetle managed a 3G lateral load??????

evilC
Old September 10th 2008, 10:50

[QUOTE=piledriver;67321]Still have the overall dimensions for that fabricated arm?
I'm chafing to get on this.

The high angle ball joints I have seem have a very short service life.

..............................QUOTE]

I'll have a look. I was not completely happy with the design as I tried to incorporate a caster adjustment in the bottom ball joint mount - hence my desire to create a compression strut fabricated bottom arm (think of the Japanese Racer with the caster adjusting rod (tension rod) on the cab side of the main track arm.

I did some very quick calcs on the angles involved and it wasn't that bad especially with a lowered suspension say 40-50mm.

evilC
Old September 11th 2008, 03:23

Interesting article/pics.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...t_3/index.html

Particularly the monoball installed on the Sentra LCA...

Checked out Coleman Racing the other night, good stuff, cheap.

As to the caster, it's too bad the SB sway bar/forward link isn't threaded...

The super long lower arms on the 1302/3 make a great starting point geometry wise.

Last edited by piledriver; September 11th 2008 at 04:08.
Old September 11th 2008, 06:08

I don't like the SB AR bar to control the caster as there is too much compliance in the system even with reasonably hard PU bushes. Thats the main reason why I want to use a compression strut to triangulate the TCA that will afford adjustment for caster and locate the bottom strut joint more precisely. Also, the AR Bar mount then is located with double heim joints that will allow adjustment of the fixing location, altering the lever arm on the AR bar itself that means that the roll stiffness can be altered.
Finally, another advantage of dislocating the AR bar from the TCA is that the anti-dive can be dialed in on the inboard 'A' arm mounting points rather than lowering the AR bar with all the compromises that that entails.

evilC
Old September 11th 2008, 14:27

Locating links w/spherical ends and using a "normal" sway bar sounds better, and shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Might even be able to improve the geometry at the same time,

Slightly off topic:
Do 944 seats fit easily in a later SB?
Old September 12th 2008, 06:26

just a quick question, are the 928 944 968 etc the same for their somewhat bolt on characteristics, or is it just the 944?
Old September 12th 2008, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piledriver View Post
Locating links w/spherical ends and using a "normal" sway bar sounds better, and shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Might even be able to improve the geometry at the same time,

Slightly off topic:
Do 944 seats fit easily in a later SB?
I currently have a new fabricated TCA (50 x 30 x 3.03Kg) with PU bushes for the AR bar and inner pivot; dropped inner pivot point to drop the roll centre; flipped AR bar with PU bushes. The outer ball joint is on an adjustable carrier to set the caster from around 2 deg to 5 deg. It works but as said the A arm/compression strut would have been a better solution. The amount of fabrication just to put the spherical links in with a normal sway bar means that it is but a little step to do a full A arm fabrication that incorporates less adaptation (botches) to acheive a much better result.

evilC

PS I have fitted Alfa 116 GTV seats that are similar to 944 ones - God! the drivers seat is heavy (height adjustable)

Last edited by evilC; September 12th 2008 at 07:15. Reason: PS added
Old September 14th 2008, 19:46

Man, y'all had to blow the dust off this thread!

EvilC, I think what I ended up doing with my front end is similar to what you've got planned. I started with late 1303 control arms, and added a triangulating member that connects to the frame head with a 13mm heim joint. The sway-bar is no longer a structural member of the front suspension, so I connected it to the control arms with drop links. By screwing the heim joints deeper into the triangulating arms I fabbed onto the stock control arms, I can increase caster.

pics and such from another thread Pictures of the completed arms are a couple of posts down the page.

The difference in driving the car is noticable. The steering is much steadier under hard braking.
'83 928S 4.7
Old September 15th 2008, 07:35

The way you did goes some way to what I am thinking but there are a few points of difference:
1) The stock TCA will be discarded and a new A arm in CHS will be fabricated with the triangulated link being in compression rather than the tension arrangement you have, the connecting point of the triangulation being closer to the stub axle end. I'm not sure yet whether the inner bush will be retained or bit the bullet and go full heim joint.
2) The ball joint end will have a heim joint to enable the camber to be adjusted.
3) The compression strut of the A arm will have a heim joint at each end to enable the caster to be adjusted in situ.
4) The AR bar will have a separate pair of heim joints as yours but will be solidly located to the A arm and not through the old TCA bush.

I am expecting better control under braking as you experienced as well as better responsiveness in the corners, all of which should aid confidence in the car.

evilC