GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old November 17th 2005, 16:58

54' GL Oval Mid-Engine

Okay, I finaly got around to posting some pictures of my project. These are a few of the one's I had on this computer and I'll post some pictures of the body on the chassis soon. This is a 1.8L 16v mated to an Audi A4 5speed. As soon as I can round up $500 I'll buy the 97' Corvette C4 front suspension. The rear will be made up of 930 stub axles and hand made carriers.

Last edited by PJL54Oval; November 17th 2005 at 19:01.
Old November 17th 2005, 17:00

Old November 17th 2005, 23:08

Got home and took some updated pictures.

Old November 17th 2005, 23:11

Old November 18th 2005, 00:49

Awesome!!! I hope you've seen Hugos as well. Is your chassis from Bob as well? Keep up the great work and the pics!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old November 18th 2005, 09:56

Yes, I have seen Hugo's and have emailed him a couple of times. Real nice guy. I had not seen his car at the time I designed and mocked up my chassis. I will admit that after I saw his set up I made a change to the rear of mine by adding the upper frame rails for the upper control arm attachment piont. The front of my chassis will be significantly different. Another major difference is that my chassis has a bigger perimeter rail that is recesed into the heater channel area. My heater channels were shot so rather than replace them I cut out the inner section and bottom plate and replaced the lost strength with the new perimeter rail.

Last edited by PJL54Oval; November 21st 2005 at 18:52.
Old November 18th 2005, 20:37

If I may ask way too many questions here...
* How do you plan to have access for servicing/removal of the drivetrain if necessary?

* Which vehicle did the trans come from and why was it selected over a Porsche unit?

* Are you doing the work yourself or is someone else doing this for you?

* What plans do you have for routing the coolant lines?

* Are you building this on the floor of your garage or surface plate?

* What was the basis for your design?

* What are your projected costs associated with the chassis when finished?

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Last edited by DORIGTT; November 19th 2005 at 12:30.
Old November 19th 2005, 23:48

The trans is out of an A4 Audi. I chose it because there are plenty of race parts for them If I choose to do an upgrade, I got it for $500 and it bolts right up to my 1.8L without an adapter. Oh yeah, hydraulic clutch too. Plus all parts to connect the two are off the shelf stuff.

I am doing everything myself.

I'm still working out my cooling system. At one time I was thinking to use all the space left over under the decklid to put a Griffin Aluminum radiator and twin electric fans. I would duct the air from the original louvers and also have the decklid open up at speed using a linear actuator. I want to stay away from the front if at all possible. Any input would be appreciated. It seams to me that an air cooled engine can draw plenty of air to cool from the back so I would think it might work. the engine and trans can come right out the bottom with a little twisting but I plan on cutting a bit more metal out of the rear firewall so it will slide out the back. I will make an engine cover that will incorportae the reveals just like the hood and insulate the heck out of it.

All on the Garage floor. The trick is to Layout index marks and always double check to make sure nothing moves durring fabrication. I use good quality levels and a laser. I also stamped index marks on the chassis centerline. I'd love to have a chassis Jig but no money and no room! When you start welding things up you have to double check everything cause it will try to pull out of shape. Always go back to your index marks!

I let the car dictate the outer perimeter rail. I'll punch some lightening holes later. The inner rail width was selected to maintain the support throught the center of the car. I would have made them wider but I also need room for the seats to sit down between the rails. The rear bulkheads will be boxed.It will have a smooth pan attached to the bottom of the chassis. The rear of the chassis is a combination of ideas. I wanted a strong chassis without relying totaly on a roll cage to get the strength back although it will have a 6 point bar. I also incorportated some of the rear based on Hugo's car. The front will have a sheetmetal crosmember hangin the C4 parts similar to what Art Morrison uses in their chassis setup.

So far I have less than $300 in the chassis. I'm getting the 97 C4 front suspension, rotor to rotor, for $500. I'll have the chassis rolling for less than $2500. I'm just building as I go so I have no cost projections and I let "good Deals" help with some of the part selections. Now If I can only find A8 Quatro rear brakes and uprights for cheap! If not, I plan to build my own uprights and use 930 stub axles being the A4 trans uses the 108mm CV. I'd use C5 corvette but they are way too expensive.

All of the chassis "As Built" is in AutoCAD so it can be reproduced. Bump steer, scrub radius and roll center are plotted as well. This was bassed on two inch widened steel fenders and a 56.5" flange to flange dimension.

Last edited by PJL54Oval; November 26th 2005 at 12:43.
Old December 27th 2005, 02:04

Any new news? This is going to be great to follow.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 1st 2006, 23:41

Slowed down a bit for Christmas but I did manage to make the paterns for the trans and engine mounts. I'm looking for shifter ideas if anyone has some. I tied to get some info from the folks who run the funcup cars but have not heard back.
Old January 3rd 2006, 08:57

Awesome stuff - I look forward to seeing it progress! :agree: