GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 16th 2008, 16:59

Yeah, I just saw that, congrats again! Once he's a little older you should definitely drag him out to nag, there's a bunch of vw rugrats now
Old September 22nd 2008, 00:47

We live in the town just north of the NAG meets, I do work in Fremont though... Maybe one Thursday after work I'll head out there. He's running dual springs, I think we got it sorted out now though, he kept bending pushrods too, had to replace a couple of tubes. Now we're working out on the fuel side of the motor, his electric fuel pump has turned his carbs into fuel injectors lol, its gettin there though, its super smooth sounding...
Old October 20th 2008, 17:32

Too much time between updates, that's what I'd be thinking if I were following this thread

Things are progressing slowly but surely. It's getting closer to starting a little bit at a time. Got the sump tank mounted finally, along with the tank for the water injection system. I mounted the water injection controller on the rollbar on the driver's side to make it a little more accessible. Ran the water and vacuum line for the water injection system as well, they join the bundle that runs to the engine bay. I went with the #2 nozzle at the top of the T where the intake splits, should be good for 250-400hp.

For the sump tank mount I sandwiched adel clamps with 2 strips of 1/8" aluminum flat stock. It came out pretty sturdy and once the tank clamps are tightened there won't be any wiggle room.

And here's a shot where the oil filters ended up. It's an unused mount for a Z-bar setup, so I added another bolt and put the filters behind the tire. There's about an inch or so clearance with the race tires in place.

Old October 21st 2008, 01:00

Lookin' good, can you lower those tanks down some to lower your CG?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 21st 2008, 21:08

That's about as low as I can get it and still have room for the battery. There's a couple of hoses and the oil temp sensor that stick out of the bottom of the tank that limit how low it can mount. It's about the same height as my torso so I don't imagine it'll hurt CG too badly. It's also only going to be 1/2 to 2/3rds full so the oil will sit low.

The water tank is a different story. I need it up higher for accessibility reasons (refilling easily and quickly) and it's only a 1 gal tank. If I get a larger tank in the future I may mount it up front instead.
Old October 22nd 2008, 11:58

Oh yeah, I forgot about the battery, I was thinking you'd moved it up front to play with weight distribution. I doubt it's matter too much anyway, you'll be powersliding through the corners!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 22nd 2008, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about the battery, I was thinking you'd moved it up front to play with weight distribution. I doubt it's matter too much anyway, you'll be powersliding through the corners!!!

Jason
Ah but that does matter for power sliding! The battery in the standard position is on the axis of the C of G and therefore contributes very little to the polar moment of interia. Stick it out front in the spare wheel well and it adds a significant amount to the Inertia that will actually make the vehicle less responsive.

evilC
Old November 8th 2008, 19:12

Update time!

I really wish I could spend more time working on the race car. Actually, now that i'm (finally) divorced and working a little less that dream may come true just in time for the rainy season. Rain and time seem to be my worst enemies.

Got some time in friday and today (before it rained me out) working on wiring, vacuum lines and the oil cooler. I made a frame for the oil cooler out of 1.5" aluminum angle and bolted it in place of some missing sheet metal. There's a bottom brace bolted to the oil sump to keep it from swinging around. It'll be a pain when it come time to adjust the valves but I didn't have any other mounting options for such a large cooler. I grabbed to race wheels for a test fit to make sure everything cleared and I think the oil filters are closer to the rim the the oil cooler. Both have plenty of clearance but I can't waith to get some slicks on those rims!

Old November 9th 2008, 05:41

Looks very impressive!

Unusual but nice wheels. What make/width/ET are they? What do they weigh each?
Old November 10th 2008, 03:08

Wicked, I still haven't made it out to the meets with you guys, right now my car is in fremont at work, the dizzy took a **** on me again, gonna get it warrantied AGAIN, and will shortly be going without one! Can't wait...
Old November 10th 2008, 14:03

Wally:
The wheels are BSA 215a 18x8 et 50 in front and 18x10 et 45 in the rear. I don't know the weight off hand butt I'll toss them on the scales when I get home. Not the lightest wheels but it's hard to beat the price, $600! I'm going to paint the centers flat black and possibly paint the machined lip saturn yellow to match the car.

kuleinc:
Are you going to be out at the NAG meet this friday? I was going to try and make it this time around if the weather holds up.
Old November 17th 2008, 03:54

Update!

Oil system is done, fuel system is done! Only wiring and some vacuum lines left.

First the oil system:

First thing was the output fitting on the dry sump which was a royal pain to tighten. I'm pretty sure that section of oil line will need a heat wrap on it.

That goes to the filters in the passenger rear fender, and since everything is ready the filters are in place now.

After the filters is the oil cooler in the drivers rear fender and the inline thermo switch right above.

Then line goes back underneath to the top bulkhead fitting leading to the input on the oil tank. The bottom bulkhead fitting is the output from the tank to the oil feed for the pressure side of the dry sump pump. The -12 line that just passes through a hole without a bulkhead fitting is the oil drain for the tank. I couldn't get any fittings to line up correctly using a -12 bulkhead in place (not enough hose for wiggle room).

Old November 17th 2008, 04:13

On to the fuel system...

Finished up the last line which is the high pressure line to the back and zip tied up both feed and return lines. It's hard to read in the small picture but on the original you can see the sizes on the 930 MC which is 20mm for the front and 29mm for the rear. Perfect for the 4-pot turbo 944 brembos which are shared with the 930.

Got the front plumbing finished and the filter in place, I'll probably secure it with a clamp to keep it from rattling too much. I managed to get the tank straps done as well, quick and easy.

Since daylight was running out I didn't a bit of quick wiring. Bolted the ground lines for the fuel injection and ignition to the block. Also relocated the water injection controller to a more easily reachable location once the seat is in place.

It was really nice to make some tangible progress today. After wearing my hands down to useless lumps putting together a dozens hose ends and not seeing much visible progress was hard. Those hose ends are fairly easy to do but they are a huge time-sink when you have a lot to go through.

Of course the best reward came tonight after the sun went down. Me and me roommates went to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in San Jose. I'm just floored, best damn show I've seen in a very long time.
Old November 17th 2008, 07:52

Very nice progress! Love the braided 'everything' lines.
Old November 17th 2008, 08:34

Amazing job so far!!!

Too bad you left unfinished the suby project it was a nice project also!!!

Keep us posted..