GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 15th 2011, 13:27

The meminger system is paired all wrong, its just bling in my eyes, looks nice enough, but probably has a huge hole somwhere in the rev range. must try harder, especialy for the $ they want for it . any one have a dyno plot for it?
Old March 21st 2011, 17:27

So; if I understand right one should have 4-2-1 system that merge the 1,4 and 2,3 cylinders before merging the two of them again. Which does not easily apply to Beetles.

So; since most systems are 4-1, why is there no such merges system for the typ4 in a Beetle? I would really like the CSP supercompetion with the correct header/stub pies etc. Only negativ thing is that you divide the flow after the collector again - while Ahnendorp make a system that has one pipe all the length. For stock look one could add a dummy pipe I guess.
Old March 22nd 2011, 18:09

Dividing the flow after the collector is not a problem as long as the pipes are not too big (slows the air flow down allowing tumbling).
4-2-1 is ideal but mostly impractical/ expensive. it does add mid range torque but with a big t4 in a light bug torque is not usually a problem.

Mind you even 4-1 have a limited benefit on stock-ish engines.
The 1303 rally engines had a stock looking t1 exhaust (probably an empty silencer) and produced 125hp from 1600cc.
Old March 24th 2011, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce. View Post
................The 1303 rally engines had a stock looking t1 exhaust (probably an empty silencer) and produced 125hp from 1600cc.
I remember Peter Noad doing a test on his rally bug back in '70s with various exhaust options but maybe not the extensive range there is now. The overriding recollection was that the standard OG exhaust was remarkably efficient, although it was strangled in standard form by the peashooter tailpipes. Using some tuned tailpipes released a fair amount of hp with the best compromise being some taper tips with 1/2 silencer tubes that only increased the loudness a tad but liberated nearly all the hp.

Having seen the quality of current standard exhaust back boxes I don't think you could rely on the same results. Of course if anyone has an OG exhaust in good condition......

Clive
Old March 25th 2011, 09:49

The FI exhaust without the Cat is interesting, a large silencer with single big bore outlet. But then the heat exchangers are completely different on it too, so might not be such a great idea
Old March 28th 2011, 07:30

BTW, I've seen the VintageSpeed exhausts and the quality is excellent. My borther bought one but it will not fit on his Rallybug as it hangs a little too low ("sump guard" in the way). So it will go on his '64 instead

I haven't seen it in action so can't comment on the performance but the quality of the welds, tailpipes etc is very good.

Note, the vintagespeed exhausts are not merged exhausts but as per my previous comment I think a fully merged collector can be overrated depending on the engine spec.

My family car is a 300bhp N/A estate and due to being RHD it doesn't have the fancy exhaust manifold pipework of the LHD version (steering column gets in the way).

The LHD version has 305bhp.

So the right sized pipework with max airspeed (not too small and not too large) can perform well and not lose too much over a merged collector. Of course, once you get crazy with ported heads, camshafts etc.... I suspect the extra draw of the collector can make a real difference.
Old March 30th 2011, 14:17

I guess I`m back to the can-style exhaust - but the ones available for type4 in beetle seems rather bulky and large. The Memminger did look nice, but is not available though. So if anyone at CSP is here on this forum -please make a type4 version of the Supercometition as an alternative to the Python.
Old July 5th 2011, 15:48

Hmmm;

CSP Supercompetition with a new header/stubs connection. Would be nice estethics if not anything else. If there was room...

Old March 10th 2012, 07:33

Anyone tried a solution as the above? Similar exhausts available?

This is not top performance, but a basicly stock 2.0 Type 4 in a Beetle, which should look "original"
Old March 11th 2012, 07:57

Have a look at the links below. You might find what you need.

http://www.laperformance.co.uk/blog/?page_id=339
http://www.turbothomas.com/albums/stock-style-type-4
Old March 11th 2012, 14:17
Administrator

I will have very detailed photos of the Vintagespeed exhaust systems next week...both the superflow and sport mufflers. Mine will be Type-1 style, but should give you an idea.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap