GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 13th 2008, 18:03
habibi

Hello im new!!!

Hey every body whats up? First off thank you for taking the time to welcome me by reading my thread. Well i recently got back my 74 super and i going to start the project i wanted to do 4 years ago. I am a huge fan of the German Look. But i have a slight problem. I have no idea where to begin.I plan on it being my daily but i also want to put in some track time. Some help in the right directon would be greatly appreciated.
later~!
Old February 13th 2008, 18:17

Welcome.. to the scene..

As far as where to begin, be realistic, and create an action plan with your requirements.. because god knows they will creep later.

Look at how much you want to spend.
Look at how fast you want to go
Look at how quick you want to stop
Look at how much of an interior you want to have
Look at how much time you have to finish your project.

After you created a nice picture in your head, do a quick search, lot of folks have posted on what works for them.. just look at your car as a system of systems, and work one piece at a time.. There are many ways to skin the same cat.. it will ultimately come down to how much time, experice, access to equipement and $$$ you have..

Where here to help.
VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old February 13th 2008, 21:31

Welcome A game plan from the start is the best way like Alex said. Most start with wheels and brake upgrades. The GL look can get pricey REALLY FAST if you don't have a good plan (or money tree)

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old February 14th 2008, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
Welcome A game plan from the start is the best way like Alex said. Most start with wheels and brake upgrades. The GL look can get pricey REALLY FAST if you don't have a good plan (or money tree)
So very correct. I started just wanting a mildly strong type IV. First is was to be a 1302 Super Beetle, then I saw how that I likes the 1303 more. If you give your self a budget and It's small, be perparied to go way over it. Since my story is ongoing, I don't have a finished car to show; here are some pieces.

I want to body to look nice, but I can't afford a body man; so I'm doing it myself.

Plus I want to be different, so I reverse directed the louvers.
No fender beading like the Porsches, fiber glass fenders, with .,020mm plumber tape for a barrier.

Now some brakes.

The brakes are 1985 944 front calipers all the way around
Old February 14th 2008, 00:33

Part II

Quote:
Here is some engine stuff.

Converting to 356 lifters 650.00US

Modding the type IV case to adapt a type one sump and exterior pressure releif valve
Buying a brand new set of type IV high performance heads and intakes, only to have them shipped bulk rate un-insured, not to mention a seller that will not make it right 3962.00 US

How about a custom crank 1800US.

What about supertine pullies for a 911 cooling system?

The point is, I trully agree to the point of either seeing you ideal come to life or except your progress and wait. When you start buying thing not on the shelf, it cost even more , Welcome and good luck on your project
Old February 14th 2008, 02:11

Part III

Quote:
Almost forgot, which car is your choice? If you choose the Super Beetle flat windshield, replacing the dash pad won't be a problem. But if you choose the curved windshield Super Beetle, there is a problem. In the USA, there are no replacement parts for the curved windshield Super Beetle dash pad. The one source that I have seen in Germany will only sell the dash as a total restoration package. Dumping allot of money into your dream and finding out, you may be stuck with a crap, cracked dash feels bad.

For me, this is the way to go, a modded curved windshield Super Beetle dash pad, modded for the Porsche 914 gauges; note the padding. CSP sells a fiber glass 911 dash unpadded. Just things you should be aware of, and one more thing; if you see some posts you like, print the page and save them in a folder for future reference.
Old February 16th 2008, 10:54
habibi

well i have 74 super curved windshield. So the only thing i really think im in the dark about is engine choice. isee alot of people using the type 4 motor. what is the disadvantge to using 1303 motor and building it. and is there a way to achive high revs with out going to a water cooled engine like a subby.
And what is the stock hp rating on a t4? im sure i will have lots questions down the line. thanks again later guys