GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 15th 2006, 04:29

Red face Turbocharged 2.0 Type 4

Hi everyone.

Its been awhile since I've posted on here but its good to be back!

Anyway.... I've been contemplating a new daily driver set-up involving a fully automatic bus or type 3 'box and a 2.0lt Type IV motor preferably turbocharged. But I need all your help and collective infinate knowledge to get the thing done :agree:

I already have a counterweighted stock 2.0lt crankshaft, 2.0lt Barrels fitted with Type 1 forged 94mmB pistons and rods to match.

Now here comes the fun bit, since I already have these parts I would rather use them than go out and by HUGE nickies or the like so am sticking to the 2.0 capacity. I would also like to turbocharge the motor and have well over 200HP however still keeping the powerband fairly driveable and torquey in the low/midrange (especially since I'll be restricted to only 3 gears). Which leaves me to question what sort of cam and head set-up I should look at going for? Not to mention what size and type of turbo to use?

I was initially thinking of using some modified bus heads with big valves and maybe twin plugs, a mild split duration cam (I know F.A about cam specs so please fill me in), standard fuel injection manifolds coupled with a big (maybe from a ford or GM) throttle body mounted horizontal and facing out towards the cavity above the gearbox, a charge cooler and something like a T03 turbo blowing through the whole system.

What do you guys think? It will be going in an early fastback so I want to keep the standard flat cooling and will more likely be put into use by my girlfriend once completed so will get rediculously high mileage (200kms a day or thereabouts) and will be replacing an auto 350Z with around 300HP.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Cam

Last edited by Cam; March 15th 2006 at 04:32.
Old March 15th 2006, 07:18

Oh and just quickly, what about ECU's? I was thinking about doing a custom megasquirt job, but would like to know how these units work in daily application and how reliable they are.
Old April 1st 2006, 10:24

I unhderstand that the megasquirts are very reliable just ask jonas linder from sweden he built one to work with his turbo 2.0ltr type4.
Old April 3rd 2006, 08:25

megasquirt is diy, its only as good as your soldering, but is a very relaible when done rigth and the program to asdjust your ecu is free which is great
Old April 3rd 2006, 12:50

You can buy pre-assembled boards. You might even be able to get on another forum and get one in a group buy. You'll just have to look around.

Good luck.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...