GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 13th 2006, 16:24

Watercooled Porsche engines

I read that the 996, Boxster etc. flat 6 watercooled engine is 3-4" shorter in length than the aircooled equivalent. Was just wondering if that means now that it might actually fit into a bug? It is also more square in shape

Anyone have any ideas about the water cooled engines' gearbox compatibility with aircooled boxes as well

I almost bought an engine a while back but thought better of it as I guess it still may not fit

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Old November 14th 2006, 13:39

I got my hands on a '97 Boxter engine about 3 years ago. The engine assembly as a whole seemed much heavier than an aircooled flat six. I can't say it was any wider, or longer. If so, only marginally more than an older 911 engine. It was certainly taller, and had an oil sump below the crankcase. The flywheel, clutch, and transmission mounting pattern were unlike any aircooled Porsche, or VW. I believe it had a two piece flywheel. The starter motor was on the engine instead of the transmission bellhousing.

I don't think it would easily work in an old Volkswagen, or even an old Porsche. I don't believe the performance would be in line with the expense.
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 10th 2007, 19:49
vwdevotee

Do you still have the Boxster engine? Would you mind measuring it if you do? I've been trying to scheme up how to get a 996 engine into a Ghia, but dimensions are hard to find online.
Old September 6th 2008, 17:26
vwdevotee

Again, an old thread, but info is always good to make public. So, I measured a Boxster engine (which has the same footprint as a 996 engine, but has a shorter intake system) and it is only 20 inches from teh bellhousing mating surface to the front edge of the pulley. The Boxster front engine mount comes a few inches further forward than that. Also, I measured the width of the engine across the widest part to be 35 inches. I would have measured the hight of the engine too, but the intake system wasn't in place and the measurement would have been of limited usefulness.

I still have access to the engine for a few more days if anyone wants any specific measurements.