GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old February 26th 2006, 19:11

Question Tinting the windows

I'm planning to tint my windows, but I don't know how dark to do it. As my car will be yellow with c/f parts I would prefer a grey (whitch is similar to the c/f) instead of a "death black". Have you got any pics of window tinted bugs?? Maybe they would help me in the decision.
Or I saw some watercooled cars having a bit special tint: starting from the front to the end the windows become darker and darker till they become absolutely black. That could be my other solution....what do you think guys? thnx
Old February 26th 2006, 19:41

I like tint that you can still see into the car through. Just dark enough to take off the in a fish tank feel, but not so dark that you get hasseled by the fuzz for looking like a drug dealer.
Old February 26th 2006, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.waffe 3
I like tint that you can still see into the car through. Just dark enough to take off the in a fish tank feel, but not so dark that you get hasseled by the fuzz for looking like a drug dealer.
:agree: that's it.
Old February 28th 2006, 18:50

Bogara_ZO,

Check with a few window specialty places. Here in Canada, there are a few that can provide a film to tint windows and I think there was even one company that provided a spray on tinting so that you wouldn't get the tell-tell line at the weather-stripping. If I remember right, you had to remove the windows so that they could do it though.

One thing to keep in mind is that here in Canada, any aftermarket tinting is against the law and you can be charged for having it. It doesn't matter how light it is, if it is not factory applied, you are in violation of the traffic laws and could get a ticket if the cop wants to make your day miserable.

I would check with the local authorities in you're area, just to be safe.

Doug
Old March 1st 2006, 17:51

I haven't heard about theese kind of sprays...interesting. As far as I know, here in Europe (at least in Hungary) there is no possibility to "try them on".

You are right, I have to give them the removed windows, and this is the reason I have to decide it in a few days, because mines are still removed at the moment.

I'm sure it won't be very black, just "dark enough" like V. waffe 3 said.

Here (and I think in everywhere in the European Uninon) the law has a limited the darkness % till how dark you can go. They are not intersted in if it's factory applied or not, just the facts. You can tint the windows of your factory applied car too, just must be under the limit. With the 3 windows in the rear you can do what you want it's legal to tint it as dark as you want, because: With this you can protect your values left in your car or something like this. On the front there is this limit for the 2 side windows. On the top of your front window you can have a very small stripe (around 10cm) "against the sun", and listen (!), on the bottom of the windows you can have what you want!!!!?? First I didn't belive it..it's unsafe to get a stripe on the top, but safe enough in the bottom??? But law is law and it's like this. Check it in exspecially german magazines.

The tint will be the same on all my windows, my only problem is that I won't use one pieced windows in the doors, and you know there is a small window on the front what you can open to get some fresh air (sorry I don't know it's name in the US, we call it "elephant's ear" ). So I don't know to tint also that small one, or don't....
Old March 1st 2006, 18:00

barely legal:

and "the new trend":

Both are friend's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg germanlook.jpg (62.5 KB, 163 views)
Old March 1st 2006, 18:03

I can't attach the second one, it's too big...
Old March 1st 2006, 21:03

heres mine, kinda dark like a drug dealer but thats what i like. the fronts are legal. the rears are 5% the windshield is 35% titanium .couple that with a black interior and its mighty dark inside even at mid-day.

http://germanlook.com/Html/MembersRi...php?RideID=117

Last edited by Lazarus; March 1st 2006 at 21:04. Reason: added link
Old March 2nd 2006, 08:45

nice-nice! I like that kind of contrast between orange and black!!! Should be the same also with yellow....ooo, I hate this forum! Finally I find out what I want to do, and then osomewher on the forum I always find an solution which is howewer different from my original idea, I like too!! Now I really don't know what to do...
((I had a black subaru with darkblack windows...I liked it very much..and it was also useful, because wasn't so hot inside...I selled the car to have enough money to finish my bug! ))

What do you suggest for "the little window"..??? Tint it too??
Old March 2nd 2006, 18:22

get rid of it! or if you keep it tint it. :agree:
Old March 4th 2006, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
get rid of it! or if you keep it tint it. :agree:
I keep them because they are very useful in getting fresh air, but yes, I'll tint them too.
Old March 10th 2006, 01:32

When I was doing my Oval,I had the 6 pieces of side glass remade with 35% charcoal grey tint in the glass.The cost was not much more than getting the stick on stuff done.I will have to get the Oval done with the stick on stuff.I had a new laminated front screen cut-which is also tinted.For a laminated flat screen here to be legal,it has to be a minimum of 6.7mm thick,and that glass is only made here with a tint in the glass.
Old April 21st 2006, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.waffe 3
the drug dealer look...wind wings clear, 5% front and back. i got nailed for it though, and had to peel it off on the fronts. motorcycle cop with nothing else to do, i guess

Old April 21st 2006, 15:30

Sorry to get off topic

But I couldn't help to notice your rear wheels. Did you have them widened?
Old April 21st 2006, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebobug
But I couldn't help to notice your rear wheels. Did you have them widened?
nope. california pacific/Jbugs sells 15x7 (and 15x8) chromies, so i picked up a pair