GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old July 2nd 2015, 03:38

Thats very nice indeed!
What does the flywheel/pp combo weigh?

Did you fit the type 4 bell housing in the G50 yet? I remembered I needed to have the G50 bellhousing machined a tiny little bit to fit the type 4 bellhousing in there, but could have been also because I had the G50 bellhousing shortenend an inch. Please check.
Old July 2nd 2015, 03:41

Nice build
Old July 7th 2015, 10:06

Good luck getting the T4 engine and the G50 in there -- both are huge and longer than the T1 stuff you're replacing -- If I remember correctly the torsion tube and engine forks will require some messaging to get them into place -- The think last one I saw done, the guy did either a 1" or a 1.5" rise on the trans and engine to get some clearance for the trans between the forks and clearance for the exhaust system from the ground since the T4 exits the heads from underneath. And that required raising the floor in the luggage area for trans clearance... Trying to remember what else was done, but it has been a while --

Will be a really neat ride when you get done, You're doing a great job!!
Old September 16th 2015, 14:49

This thing is going to be so fun!!! Love the subtle chop.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 26th 2015, 13:20
Administrator

Appreciate all of the replies. I've been moving over the last few months, and just got my new garage setup. Started tearing down the G50 to have the bellhousing shortened by CMS.

<Edited 4/20: Moved to new thread in Transmission section>

Last edited by rioprelude; April 20th 2016 at 20:58. Reason: Moved pics to transmission thread
Old December 26th 2015, 14:04

Nice job! When you open it up, you can see the trans is such a nice piece of engineering imo.
Old December 30th 2015, 13:01
Administrator

Definitely. It's really neat the way all of the internals attach to the single metal plate, and can be installed/removed as a unit.

I still need to test fit the bell housing to the engine, and will get the KEP 930 Flywheel/pressure plate weight for you.

I'm going to try to get the parts machined locally, using your method of grinding the shaft, assembled in the case, on a lathe. The pics that you posted should help me get the parts back into the case for machining.
Old April 20th 2016, 21:27
Administrator

Didn't have much luck finding a machine shop locally, so I shipped the G50 to California Motorsports to have it inspected/shortened. They found a worn 3rd gear synchro, and worn 3rd/4th gear fork, and recommended replacing all of the bearings and synchros. It was way over budget, but I had all of the bearings/synchros replaced, added a factory 4 plate LSD, and a billet side cover. Should have it next week to continue the build. Here are the pics:

Last edited by rioprelude; April 20th 2016 at 22:06.
Old December 14th 2017, 01:14
Administrator

I haven't had much time to work on the Beetle, but I did find an oval/ragtop section near by over the summer:

I was a little worried about the fit, but the center roof section on my chop, is actually a "new" piece of metal, formed pretty close to the right bend, but has a good amount of body filler to make it the right shape, so I didn't feel too bad.

Original Chop:

Trimmed the roof:

Marked the section

and test fit the ragtop:

Haven't had time to finish it, but hope to get back on it soon. Need to weld the rear oval window section in as well, so it should be interesting!

Last edited by rioprelude; December 14th 2017 at 01:39.
Old December 14th 2017, 01:24
Administrator

Also, working on the G50 rear mount, but haven't had time to complete it. I was looking at Sandeep/Wally's mounts for inspiration, but was trying to start with the thicker Bug@5speed 901 mount:

Here is the Bug@5speed mount. Thinking about extending the ledge like Wally/Sandeep:

Wally's mounting for reference:

Has anyone mounted the G50 differently?

I wasn't sure if I could attach the mount to the same lower bolt holes on the G50 bellhousing as the pics above, but maybe on the backside, so the lower engine studs exit the hole, through the mount bracket, and then into a nut? If that even makes sense, it's late!

Last edited by rioprelude; December 24th 2017 at 13:45. Reason: bump
Old December 24th 2017, 13:45
Administrator

bumping the build thread, since I replied to all of the others afterwards!
Old July 10th 2018, 23:14
Administrator

Ok, this build is officially dead. I purchased a 68 Karmann Ghia convertible, that I'll start another build thread for. I still have the Mendeola Chassis and the Type 4 engine (sold the G50) ,that I will use for the Ghia, so it should still be interesting

To recap this build: I just took too long, and changed directions too many times. In hindsight, I should have completed the car in it's original form (V1) with just a porsche 901 5-speed and Type 4 engine, 15" fuch wheels w/generic brakes. Maybe even a Type 1 engine/trans to start.

Then planned V2/V3 upgrades for the bigger transmission, wheels, brakes, suspension, etc...

Overall, I ended up with a nice chassis/engine, so all is not lost.
Old July 12th 2018, 04:03

Such a shame! I really liked the G50 progress! and still enjoy mine everytime I shift a gear

Ghia converibles are about a pretty a car as they come imo, so I hear you as well.
Lets what you start with, curieus what it will become!
Old July 12th 2018, 23:20
Administrator

The G50 was really nice, but $$ after the rebuild, and Porsche parts are crazy $$ now. I will probably try a Subaru trans next, in the Ghia after the engine/suspension upgrades.

I still have the KEP type4 to G50 flywheel if you know anyone interested. Sold the 930 clutch with the trans..