GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 3rd 2005, 12:27

Lots of questions on 944 T brakesetup for my beetle

I am mounting the 944 T hubs with 304 X 32mm discs and the calipers from the 944 turbo S or 928 S4. (Big one with 4 pistons). At the rear I have the aluminium trailing arms from a 944 turbo from 1986. These arms are the narrow ones. The brake setup is the standard 944 T setup (4 piston caliper).

My first question: I would like to have drilled brakediscs on my beetle. At the front I already solved the problem by mounting 993 discs. The rear is still a problem. The rear discs are 299 X 24mm. The height of the disc and hub is 71mm. I would like to find the same size of disc but drilled. Can anyone help me?

Second question: When I mount the aluminium arms on my beetle the bolts from the springplates rub against the chassis. What is the solution for this problem? PS: I am still keeping the torsion bars.

Thirth question: Wich master cilinder would I need to use with this brake setup? Whats the most popular choice or whats the best choise?

Friendly regards,

Tom

Last edited by tdc911; August 3rd 2005 at 12:33.
Old August 4th 2005, 22:25

1) Cross drilled rotors...goto an autoparts store, or ebay, and buy the cross drilled ones for the applicable year of 944. Zimmerman and Brembo both make them...

2) You need to put in....crap I can't remember the name of the bolts. But basically they're like flush bolts. This keeps things from rubbing...or am I thinking of something else???? There's a tech article somewhere on here about it....

3) You can use a stock Super Beetle Master Cylinder. The pedal just travels a bit before you get the braking action due to the brake pistons needing more fluid displaced to push them....but braking action is fine I hear after that initial travel. Just get a 944T master cylinder, and get a brass T for your brake light switches as a 944T master cylinder doesn't have the switches....then you won't have any pedal travel. That's the route I'm going... But alot of people just run the stock MC and deal with it.....
Old August 5th 2005, 01:32

Hi

With bolt rubbing issue, you need to weld the nut on from the back and thin it down a bit, then remove a bit of metal from chassis in the same area. There is some previous posts on this that will make more sense.

Steve