GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > Boxer AutoGruppe

Old October 21st 2008, 10:10

Track Day

First of all thanks to Chris ( Mr. Chug A Bug ) for a great event, had a blast. I would do that again in a heart beat. BTW guys nice driving everyone, after a while we all got use to the track and got the lines.
It was a great turn out hopefully we will have a greater turnout for the future and for the next meet which is dated for Nov 23 2008 weather permitting and the 30th for a (rain date).

Hope to see all the rides that was missing or is still hiding in the garages. BRING THEN OUT Maaaaaaaan.....

Big Up ( huge thanks ) to Pete (petevw), Sandeep, Bryan(clkwrk) and Lanner ( Flat ) they tried there best to determine was the problem was. Sanddeep and I was riding together and after 4-5 laps
we really started to have to have some serious fun, then I started to have inconsistent oil pressure and a little ticking noise. We did an extra lap to cool down the motor then exited off the track.
We then immediately stated working on the motor to determine the problem. We checked valves, lifters, rockers and yes after a visual...........we found out that the oil pump bolts was loose. ( NO LOCK TIGHT ) We did a scavenger hunt for nuts and bolts and used what we could find to tighten the oil pump out and to get me home.

Well ya know I should have called a tow truck immediately and I didn't, I tried to take my time to baby it home......????? WHY........IDONO
I reached a for as Burlington and the noise increased so I pulled over and called a.................TOW TRUCK..... .... ( S++T ) what is the wife gonna think now ....a waste of money and time.....LOL

I will keep you posted when I pull the motor out to see what the real problem is.......

C4 Metal Werks is interested in finding out what I am running ehhhhhhhh. ( that is Canadian for IDONO ) this a slang that we Canadians use.

Yes sir! It took 5 years of savings and collecting of parts and asking stupid and annoying questions but I did it.

T4 2600, 78 X 103's, Nickies, ARP's with Ceramic Lifters. excessive head work.
External Oil coolers with thermostat with lines running to the front with fan on the cooler
Case and oil breathers
Full Mallory System
Dellorto 45's with Holley pump ( Still trying to get the right combination for the Main Jets and Air Corrections ) l
3.88 solid mounted Gene Berg mounts with close ratio trans welded gears in a Rhino case, Gene burg shifter, welded in 10 point chromoly roll cage with Kafer cup brace.
VdubEngineering's brakes upgrade to Porsche Turbo Brembo's 17x7 rim Porsche twist , tires 205/40 and 215/50's in the rears.
5 point harness with racing seats.

Dellorto 45's with Holley pump ( Still trying to get the right combination for the Main Jets and Air Corrections ) Anybody out there have a similar combination or has the experience to guide
me into the right direction what are you using for your mains and air correction.
At the present time I am running 45 DEll's, 38 Vents, 210mm mains X 175mm air corrections I have tried many other combinations. As for now the Dell's has to work, cannot afford F.I.
but maybe one day in the future I'll will go that route.

Thanks again to Pete (petevw), Sandeep, Bryan(clkwrk) and Lanner ( Flat )

Ya Monnnnnn...LOL
Old October 21st 2008, 10:56

Thanks guys for the info. I think it is the coolest seeing aircooled iron on the track!!!!

My dad bought this 68 Autostick(yep, an autostick) brand new when he worked for VW and auto crossed it for a few years. He still has 3 or 4 trophy's from his wins. VW of NA payed him to build a few more cars like this one to send to other dealers around the USA.

Old October 21st 2008, 16:32

Your sure your fuel lines are big enough, fuel filter is not clogged, tank is vented and your fuel pressure is correct all the way to WOT ?

'I think so' as an answer won't do this time
Old October 21st 2008, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Your sure your fuel lines are big enough, fuel filter is not clogged, tank is vented and your fuel pressure is correct all the way to WOT ?

'I think so' as an answer won't do this time
Yes to all of the above questions. I am using 1/2 inch lines, inline micro filter is not clogged and my fuel pressue is t 3.5 psi.

What size jets are you using in your carbs?
Old October 22nd 2008, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
my fuel pressue is t 3.5 psi.
I guess that was measured at idle? How do you know its also 3.5 psi at 5500 rpm at WOT?

Quote:
What size jets are you using in your carbs?
Sorry, no reference for you on a 2,6 ltr engine. I only ran Dells on much smaller engines, but they always only like one air corr. size on anything: 180. Your very close already to that size though...
At WOT they can use a lot of fuel, since your jet sizes are quit large already, its only logical to suspect fuel feed. Hence the pressure question

Do you have a wide band installed for the tuning? If you question your jet sizes, a Wide-band really is the only way to go imo. Rent one if need be.

If you ARE already rich enough (should be by now), it may not be your carbs, but ignition or s/th else. Even if you may think it works ok, some things may just surprise you, especially with HD coils and such. Just re-route the wires so it stays clear far far away from anything alternator related, if only for me asking...

Just some (maybe obvious) pointers, but then again, I really can't do much more over here from my computer...
Old October 23rd 2008, 14:39

Jetting

Thanks Wally for the great suggestions, I will definitely try and double check them all. I just got an LM-1 tool so I will put it to good use.

Thanks Again
Old October 23rd 2008, 16:32
Administrator

I just wanted to say that Larry's oval was scary fast on the track ... even though it was set up for drag racing. Once we did the hard laps and pulled into the pits, we started to check the engine over. I grabbed the dipstick and then the manifolds to see how hot they were, but they were just barely warm.

We took the covers off of the heads and when I grabbed the rockers, they were just warm, not hot, as I would have expected them to be. I guess the Nickies had something to do with that temp.

Good luck with the engine Larry and let us know what the problem was.

I should have that video up by this weekend.

Sandeep
Old October 24th 2008, 07:40
Administrator

Video is up.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8FZ9V-Yvo

Sandeep
Old October 24th 2008, 12:09

U Tube say "Were sorry this video is no longer available"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Old October 24th 2008, 12:23
Administrator

The link works for me. Please try again.

Sandeep
Old October 24th 2008, 15:29

Cool vid! The oval has great stance too. Gear spacing seems a bit large from time to time thought.
Old October 24th 2008, 17:01

Sandeeep thanks for the kind words, I can't wait until next year when your car is ready. I can't even imaging what that turbo would feel like, must be sick. I am really looking forward to it.

Wally the gear spacing could be the inexperience driver or the rookie.....LOL
Old October 24th 2008, 19:19

Crazy vid! I went around the track with Larry for a few laps and it was quite a thrill. It's an amazing car Larry! Let me know when you pull the lump, I'll come give you a hand.

Lanner
Old October 24th 2008, 19:44

Nice vid.

Next time brake and downshift WAY later.

Pete
Old November 5th 2008, 18:41

Well it looks as though I missed another awesome event
Hopefully next year work out better for me. (2110 this year )

Laurie,
a few things: what heat range plug are you using? What is your timing set at? what readings are you getting on the AFR?

Cheers,

Alex