GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old December 6th 2005, 22:40

Anyone got pics of that Reichel 1303 featured in Hot Vw's?

I was just browsing through a mag at the bookstore and saw this awsome orange 1303 Super w/ the Dash removed and was wondering if anyone else has seen it or could direct me to a site that has more info on it.

I'd always wondered what could be done w/ a bare 1303 dash and this guy nailed it to perfection.
Old December 6th 2005, 23:30

I saw the car. I didn't even notice the dash was removed, it looks good. Better than I thought with the dask removed. :agree:

Not sure where to go for more info. Hotvw's website maybe?
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old December 6th 2005, 23:50

He striped the foam/plastic off, filled some holes, preped for paint and there you have it.... a metal 1303 dash. I was going to go that route... but Carbon Joe "has" had a Carbon 911 style dash inthe works for me (a year and a half later still no dash...)

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old December 7th 2005, 00:08

Talking Ah...So the dash is still there?

So the picture is of the dash still in place ...it just doesnt' have any padding eh?
I wondered, because I've seen what a 1303 looks like w/ out a dash and I remember it being a bit more "cavernous" in the space dept.
So he just ripped all the padding off , sanded and painted? COOL.
Hmmmm... I may yet go this route myself...at least I wouldn't have to worry about cracking eh?
Old December 7th 2005, 00:16

BUT.... once you have all the pading...ect off the metal structure under it becomes very flimsy. some reinforcments may be inorder (just to make it a little less flimsy) depending on how "smooth" and clean you want it to look you will have to fill in holes (weld in patches) and do some filler work to get rid of the spot welds and ripples.
Its a very good base to be creative with to. you could add sections to make room for more of a guage pod...ect with the added benifit of it already fitting into the car.

Taking off the foam is best done (i felt anyways) by cuting it up into sections with a sharp blade/copeing saw and scraping/prying it off in larger section (a few inches at a time). then go over it with an assortment of wire wheels to get the rest of the lingering foam/ glue off. then start preping for whatever you going to do.

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing

Last edited by super vw; December 7th 2005 at 00:21.
Old December 22nd 2005, 14:19

I found this site months ago, was looking into the glass floor pans but have sold the car I was going to get them for. They have dash replacements.

Glass-Action.com - Innovations in Fiberglass http://www.vwinnovations.com/

This bug has one in it. Is this what your looking for?

'70 Bay '73 Bug '73 Super
TexasAirCoolers.Com
Texas Coalition of Buses
Old December 22nd 2005, 16:54

he is talking about a super, not a flat dash. look around on the forums before buying from VWI. i have seen very mixed results. i have never purchased from them.

the orange 1303 is pretty hot. i found it a bit of a joke the way HVW worded the intro into the article. smacks of Gore "creating the internet". HVW (as a company because i know it to be different with some of their staff) hardly even acknowledged the German Look until VWTrends died.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 22nd 2005, 21:40

Now that they have started taking notice i feel like some kinda johnny-come-lately. the resto custom look got started some how though. so i really dont feel that bad. i do feel bad that i wrote that e-mail to hot vws about a week b4 the bugjam about how the mag doesnt give the germanlook fair shake and how they (the mag) had rather put a suby powered ghia and the batmoblie in thier mag than a germanlook car. i kinda sucked up to dean kirsten about it at bugjam. he told me that things took time to change. he was also very cool and understanding to the germanlooks plight. he was also a very nice guy about some other things as well. i have changed my whole perception about the way the mags have to do things. they have to appeal to a much greater audience than me and this part of the US. so maybe the germanlook's time is about to come around. :agree:

Last edited by Lazarus; December 22nd 2005 at 21:47. Reason: added content
Old December 23rd 2005, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
he is talking about a super, not a flat dash. look around on the forums before buying from VWI. i have seen very mixed results. i have never purchased from them.
I was just using that to compair. We have a couple of cars in our group with custom dash work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
the orange 1303 is pretty hot. i found it a bit of a joke the way HVW worded the intro into the article. smacks of Gore "creating the internet". HVW (as a company because i know it to be different with some of their staff) hardly even acknowledged the German Look until VWTrends died.
I seen the article tonight while I was over at a buds house. He showed it to me because he knows I have a super. It did look good.

'70 Bay '73 Bug '73 Super
TexasAirCoolers.Com
Texas Coalition of Buses

Last edited by BeetleWarrior; December 23rd 2005 at 02:11.
Old January 5th 2006, 15:10

i tend to lurk around here... heck, i don't know if i ever even posted before....

this is a guy from western PA - out near pittsburgh. its a 73 super, and the dash is all steel. him and his brother do all their own work. i talked to them for a while at a local show, about their cars. very nice work indeed. this particular car has a streetbeatz sunroof that was molded into the roof as well. he said he'd never do that again... he'd go with an OG roof clip.

anyways... i'll see if i can dig up some more pics of his dash if anyone is interested, i only had this one on hand.

Brian
Old January 5th 2006, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshertzer
i tend to lurk around here... heck, i don't know if i ever even posted before....

this is a guy from western PA - out near pittsburgh. its a 73 super, and the dash is all steel. him and his brother do all their own work. i talked to them for a while at a local show, about their cars. very nice work indeed. this particular car has a streetbeatz sunroof that was molded into the roof as well. he said he'd never do that again... he'd go with an OG roof clip.

anyways... i'll see if i can dig up some more pics of his dash if anyone is interested, i only had this one on hand.

Brian
thats a 71 or 72 Super not a 73 & Up.
73 & up have a curved windshield and a more modern dash.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 5th 2006, 18:33

it sure looks like a curved window too me
Old January 5th 2006, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
thats a 71 or 72 Super not a 73 & Up.
73 & up have a curved windshield and a more modern dash.
i hate to disagree with you on my 2nd post.... BUUUUUUT

look at the windshield. the picture below more clearly shows the car. it IS a 73, with a 71/72 style dash fabricated into the space where the big plastic 73+ dash should be. i have had numerous (including my current 74 that i kept ahold of for all of these years) super beetles... both 1302's and 1303's. i'm far from an expert by any means....

here's an outside shot of it
Old January 5th 2006, 22:04

Hi

I could see how you could make a mistake thinking it was 1302, what gave it away to me was the size of the scuttle panel above the A pillar. Im still thinking about a custom dash for my 1303, but that a long way off yet.

Steve