GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 15th 2004, 12:12

Decided to start from scratch Tube chassis mid engine

Well after working with my buddy here and having two minds in a brain storm we decided to build our 2 bugs from the ground up tube chassis. Right now we are looking at Formual Pro Mazda uprights that will let us run Long double a arm suspention with pushrod shock mount setup. I am going mid engine with the 13b turbo rotary and single seater center mounted. Basicly I am building a formula car with a bug body. For the most part it is going to look "stock" lol. It will have a smooth aluminum under tray that runs from the front lip all the way back to a defuser coming out back where the apron use to be. here is a photoshopped version of our body idea with a 4" body chop and 2" top chop. This is still just a rough idea of the body look.

plans

power 13b Turbo Rotary 300 hp
Wheels 18" turbo twists
inside Sparco blue racing seats
Sparco pedels, wheel, and shifter nob

Sparco Rep Andrew @ www.pilotracegear.com Good deals on Sparco stuff
Old October 15th 2004, 12:28
Superman

Have you seen this...

http://www.vwfuncup.com/paddock/presentation.html

...and in my opinion if you're gonna go mid-engine then make use of the space and weight distribution, put in a VW VR6 or Porsche flat 6 plus turbo if you can afford it. Sounds like big dreams and a fun plan, best wishes with your project and I'm sure, as with most of us, money and time are your only hold backs but your finished car would be nice to see on the track.
Old October 15th 2004, 12:57

Sounds like a wicked idea Superman.
So the 13B big is biting pretty bad. A couple of out local forums here in SA people are also edging towards pretty big 13B upgrades to their cars.

If one goes for the mid-engine config. How much modding are you looking at from the inside of the car? And would it be possible to move the engine back slightly from a original posotion. Rotary engine that is. So that you could keep the original size at the back, and still have space inside for a custom kitted sound system? Obviously removing the back seats.
Old October 15th 2004, 13:05

Sounds like a big project. I'd like to see how the body chop goes, I had that idea but I didn't think much about it, because of all the work involved. I'd like to see the progress as it comes along. If nothing else, I'm close enough I could come over and help out, or just stand over it and talk German-Look. But I'd rather help. :agree:

Good luck with the project, and keep us informed on the progress.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old October 15th 2004, 13:54

yeah it is a pretty big project but my friend and i are both pretty good at welding and I am starting at the suspension and building in from that. I have been reasearching diffrent chassis designs and have some pretty good chassis guys here in Indy that i am getting advice from for the design. I will be modling the car in 3d first to make sure were everything will go and that it will fit then we will start with the build. When we are done we will have 2 virtualy identical cars save for the Rotory in mine and the Suby in my buddys. I would not try to do this if it was just me. But with the both of us together it will be easier. The parts for the suspension are not that expensive and are easy to get as they come from a spec race series. The main reason for the 13b in mine is I just like Rotarys the sound the insane RPM's and smooth running.

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old October 15th 2004, 14:10
Superman

The rotary is a great motor and was invented by a German named Wankle. This is actually the best motor for a conversion. It's small and makes insane power.

shiwlof, that's the motor you sould use for a rear engine design and it fits in the Bug's bay like it were made for it.

Vincent, if you're going all out go for AWD/4WD

humm, a mid-engine W8 with AWD on a 1303
Old October 16th 2004, 01:41

I thought of AWD but trying to figure out Mid engin setup how would i set it up and what tranny could i use?
I would love to have AWD have thought of using a FWD trans mounted in the middle and run one drive shaft up front to a trans axel and one out back to a trans axel not sure how that would work any ideas I am open to diffrent options.

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old October 16th 2004, 01:54
Superman

I was only bench dreaming, don't think there is a possible transmission unless (as you said a FWD) the engine was mounted transverse.
Old October 16th 2004, 02:08

I just wonder if the diffrent length drive shafts could handel the stress

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old October 17th 2004, 17:46

I have heard of people modifying 944 transmissions for use in a bug. You could use the "input" shaft as an "output" shaft and get a transfer box built or modify an existing on to change the direction of the drive shaft.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old October 21st 2004, 22:36

Could get a light weight RWD Trans, a Aluminum Transfer case, also light weight with a 1:1 ratio with no gear reduction, 2 WRX rear differentials, and custem length and end drive shafts. have the engine hooked to the trans with the xfer case at the trans output, and the xfer case uotput below the engine trans, and have the rear xfer out go to a WRX rear diff in the correct orientation, and the front going to the other WRX Diff with it fliped over (housing and all). the subie diffs are pretty sall and light, but can take alot of abuse!!

Just my ideas!
Old October 22nd 2004, 00:39

Alt, that sounds wild enough to work. sence i am building it center seat i could run the drive shaft along one side.

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old January 25th 2005, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
I thought of AWD but trying to figure out Mid engin setup how would i set it up and what tranny could i use?
I would love to have AWD have thought of using a FWD trans mounted in the middle and run one drive shaft up front to a trans axel and one out back to a trans axel not sure how that would work any ideas I am open to diffrent options.
Hell, I don't see why that wouldn't work! You would need some crazy custom driveshafts...
Old March 17th 2005, 03:12

Hey Vincent keep us updated on the progress/design of the build. Im just got my welder and now im gonna start the fabrication of my tube frame. It sure is nice to throw out all that beetle stuff and start with a clean slate.
Old May 10th 2005, 19:58

Syncro bus tranny!!!!!!