GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 21st 2002, 19:56

Expect to spend $3K(us) at LEAST.

Do NOT cheap out without a darn good reason-- saving $100 may cost you $3000+ later.

I'm not sure you could build a T1 to last as long, at a similar performance level, for ANY price.

I know he was just trolling, but it brings up a good base for comparison for folks.

I've now done 2 T4s into the same car (cam/lifter issues caught early enough) a 2.0 and a whipped 1.7, both with 44 IDFs, `cause thats what I have. (The cam/lifter issue is resolved at no charge, stupid,stupid...)

Even the 1.7 with much blowby still takes a fresh 1835/2bbl combo (both cars 71 SB), and is not a hand grenade like the latter, and will in all likelyhood outlive the "new" 1835, even with a >100k miles head start.
(fresh heads, just worn P&l/parts bin motor, my friends NEXT motor will be a T4 or so he says)

With a 2.0/mild cam and the webers---Sorry, but I have driven "mild" to "wild" T1s, and they all sucked by comparison (driveability)... And they were all hand grenades, every one.

If I was going "T1" it would be a 2.1 wbx, altho I would probably stay H2O and graft on the Suby 16v heads, since the bore spacing apparently works. I would probably then get completely contrary and run a 911 fan housing with the radiator in the front, an exhaust duct dumping the air out of the engine compartment.

BTW, Greetings, Griznant.

It's a darn good thing to have "redundant" boards...Each leaning its own way, but with enough crossover to draw much the same crowd.

Oh yeah, and most important:

If you are going Non-stock, maybe even on an "improved" stock motor---

Just buy one of Jake Raby's kits.

Say it after me-
Just buy the kit
Just buy the kit
I'll buy the kit...

Drop the dime NOW and be driving instead of cussing in a few weeks. It's really cheaper, and much easier on ones sanity.

(I didn't, but I'm stock. Would've been cheaper anyway if I had as it turns out.)

I have no affiliation with Jake other than respecting him, having only "talked" to him of the STF.

He's the only guy (other than myself) I would let build MY motors.

Regards
Greg

Last edited by piledriver; August 21st 2002 at 22:45.