GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 28th 2002, 09:44

Has anyone seen the new VWTrends, Setpember issue? I just got it yesterday & there is this feature called Chocolate Drop with a 57 Oval. I read the whole article & when I got to the last paragraph I couldnt belive what the writer for VWTrends had to say about the VW scene today (cal look)...

And I quote "...so many custom VW's are starting to look like clones: restricted by a certain 'look'."

from VWTrends, September 2002 pg48

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 28th 2002, 11:02

I wonder if he would say that about a factory restoration... "Hey, that looks just like the cars that Volkswagen made. It's a clone."

In my opinion, the "look" that you are going for is just an expression of your tastes in cars. If it happens to look similar to someone else car, its because you like that look, not because you are trying to be just like that person. I see nothing wrong with adapting certain features for your use.

Does this writer have the same opinion of manufacturers that copy each other, and then make millions of those clones. One example is the similarities between the Honduh Accord and the Toyota Camry. They have looked like clones since they started production.

My last bit of sarcasm: "That Ford Taurus looks just like that Mercury Sable. That's not right."

My Blog
Please help me get a minimac
Parts I Need
1965 Beetle "Gordie", 1956 GL Beetle
Old July 28th 2002, 11:24

By the way, if you want a good definition of GermanLook, just look at the categories on this forum: Engines, Transmissions, Brakes, Suspension, and Wheels and Tires. Its all about being a drivers car. No trailer queens.

My Blog
Parts I Need
Old July 28th 2002, 14:59

well actually I believe the writer was correct in his opinions. THe cal look or resto custom or whatever else you want to call it, has become a very bland, carbon copy look. Everyone is running the same wheels, tire combos & exhaust. Only difference is the paint jobs.

I remember a time when the Cal Look produced many wild cars. Some with chrome bumbers, one piece windows & empi wheels, others with monochomatic paint jobs & custom wheels, & still others with radical mods (ie. sucide doors, chops, etc) & graphic paint jobs. the cal look kept changing & progressing until the 90's, then it reverted back to the 70's for some reason.

I dont think that you could limit the German/euro Look to just one set of rules! There are to many inovative things going on right in the automotive world to put a cap on things & say that this is the only way it can be done.

The possibilities are endless!

Old July 28th 2002, 15:24

Good points. I do agree that most cal-look cars look very similar. Its hard to be different with a look thats had 40 years of trends. Although, the only distinguishing features of the car in the article are the billet wheels, strange pattern on the upholstery, and getting lucky with the paint blend. He still has the cheesy aluminum fender guards and poorly fitted running boards. To me, alot of the cal-look is looking good. The German Look is about going faster (although they seem to look good while doing it, but in a different way). GL is technology driven, while CL is bugdet driven (most of the time).

My Blog
Parts I Need
Old July 28th 2002, 17:30
Superman

Trends is pushing the Callook is old and Germanlook is new idea to sell magazines. Hot VWs has very little GL content and Trends is using this as a marketing idea. They showed it when they printed one of my letters (bug mail or whatever) and they edited it to read "The VW Trends' Germanlook" when all I had said was Germanlook... as if they started it or something.

I haven't purchased a magazine since 1995 when I got online, but if I were it would be Volksworld.
Old July 28th 2002, 22:50

well Ive always prefered Trends to HotVW's over the years anyways. I really hope that Trends starts getting behind the German/Euro Scene. It will only spark new interest in the VW scene.

Old July 29th 2002, 00:52
Superman

Hey who needs them, we got this site now!
- just kidding
Old July 29th 2002, 10:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman

Bren (I like your car and this is not a shot but an example), to me your car is not Germanlook. Your car, to me, is Callook with some Eurolook wheels.
LOL!!! this is a first! cal look?!? my bug has never been called THAT before!!!

funny!!

what do the rest of you reckon? cal-look or german-look or euro-look? (mines the blue one BTW!

superman.. dont get me wrong this is no attack, i just dont understand where you are coming from? i mean where do you draw the line with the porsche stuff? my friends bug runs 4-wheel kerscher discs with reproduction porsche cup3's... so in actual fact, no porsche parts bar the boxster seats and 911 headlamp lenses, it also runs more chrome than when it left the factory, but does that mean its not a GL?
pic of unfinished car:

Last edited by bren; January 3rd 2003 at 06:47.
Old July 29th 2002, 15:36
Superman

Well from the pictures I've seen, and I may be wrong, your car has all the factory body chrome trim and Type I (Ghia) brakes. The wheels are the only thing that sets it apart. Slap some Empi wheels on it and it would be a Cal-look car.

The grey car is doing a little better with the europa bumper and bucket seats but still not all the way.

(Remember this is just my opinion) These cars, you posted, are a mixture of Callook and Germanlook... that's what I call Eurolook. It's just my opinion and terms that I use.

(Again in my opinion) Your car would need 944 discs, Recaro type seats, europa bumper, and no trim, blacked-out trim, or body colored trim to be Germanlook.

This is what I consider Germanlook...

Old July 29th 2002, 15:42
Superman

Quote:
i mean where do you draw the line with the porsche stuff?
Correct, that is exactly what I had posted before, if all our cars had the same Porsche wheels it would be bland. It guess Porsche wheels = Germanlook and others (not Empi stuff but like on your car) = Eurolook.

If I've offend anyone just put it all in the :toilet: these are just my opinions.

My car is in thousand of pieces, boxes, parts, and bits... what look is that
Old July 29th 2002, 21:05

I can live with euro look

Jus' so long as it ain't cal-look...I couldn't take that...

Dan

p.s. - and that's no slam to the cal-lookers !! it's just not what "I" want.

http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm
Old July 30th 2002, 04:00

Quote:

Well from the pictures I've seen, and I may be wrong, your car has all the factory body chrome trim and Type I (Ghia) brakes. The wheels are the only thing that sets it apart. Slap some Empi wheels on it and it would be a Cal-look car.

The grey car is doing a little better with the europa bumper and bucket seats but still not all the way.

(Remember this is just my opinion) These cars, you posted, are a mixture of Callook and Germanlook... that's what I call Eurolook. It's just my opinion and terms that I use.

(Again in my opinion) Your car would need 944 discs, Recaro type seats, europa bumper, and no trim, blacked-out trim, or body colored trim to be Germanlook.

This is what I consider Germanlook...

Hey thats my car!!! where did you get pics of it ????? OH, oops wrong color LOL. Looks just like mine tho.
Old July 30th 2002, 05:20

Quote:

944 discs would never happen, i cant justify the expense for a totally over engineered brake setup for a 1600 bug! the other main reason is that i want to keep the 4x100 PCD. seats in my bug are POLO GT seats front and rear.. almost identical to golf GTI's but with a narrower rear seat. europa bumpers i already have?!?!?! or do you mean the 74-on bumpers with the indicators built in? i thought about using those, but decided not to as my front end was very very low when i first built the car.. its since been raised, but when it was low, the indicators in the bumper would have been too low to pass the MOT test.. they basically would have been illegal! as for the trim... funny you should mention that! ive just sourced a bumper from a jeans bug, and as im sure you know, they had satin black trim... ive also got some indicator covers that im prepping for paint.. again in satin black.. and the side trim will also be going black.... all this should be done in readiness for the VWACTION show in september, so ill take some pics while im there and post them up.. see what you all reckon....
Old July 30th 2002, 05:31
Superman

Yes I mean the 74 & up bumper. Cool beans on the black trim, it's gonna look so good I think. Nice seats, I seen your car in a friend's Volksworld but didn't notice them. I understand about the turn signals... damn law (MOT)!

One thing I wondered, how does everyone feel about my CCC Porsche 911 Carrera style Whailtail... is that Germanlook?