GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old November 29th 2005, 14:13

Can't afford it, fake it

Interesting find! Don't know if anybody already knows about it, but its new to me.

http://www.ftd-technics.de/englisch/

This company has developed a kit that turns any part into a Carbon Fiber look. Check it out the process doesn't seem that hard.

Let me know if anybody has tried it,
elev8_dude
Old November 29th 2005, 15:28

As long as you can live with yourself going the ricer route. I would rather not have the CF part then "fake it".
Old November 29th 2005, 17:37

okay, I guess your right

My limited budget will have to wait......

Looks good though
Old November 30th 2005, 14:38

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you don't go overboard with the process and try to use it on everything. For around $160.00 dollars it may be a steal, just my two cents.
Old December 1st 2005, 01:26

That looks like the same crap you buy at pep boys...a sticker...what a waste....doesn't even look remotely close to real carbon....
Old December 1st 2005, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
That looks like the same crap you buy at pep boys...a sticker...what a waste....doesn't even look remotely close to real carbon....

I don't think you could get a "sticker" to wrap around some of the parts that they have applied the process to. I think the wheel below is tastefully done. If it looks too ricer, I guess I need to get a Honda then.

Old December 2nd 2005, 04:12

well, not so much a sticker, but it's CLEARLY obvious it's not real carbon fiber, more like black checkered design.....
Old December 2nd 2005, 10:07

It’s not bad considering the price. My problem is my lack of know how in fabrication and limited budget. I would like to use it on a couple of parts, but still haven't decided. I'm going to start experimenting with CF fabrication in the next month or so, so we'll see how that goes.
Old December 2nd 2005, 10:13

if used right, it can look good. use it very sparingly and only in placed that you would typically see c/f. when is the last time you saw a c/f rim? i have tons of c/f on my car and 2 places where there is fake Avery tape (e-brake handle and speaker kit panels (which sit RIGHT next to my real c/f door panels)). everyone is always asking me where i got the c/f e-brake and speaker panels. and this tape looks pretty damn fake when you get a good look at it.

it most certainly can look ricer if overdone, but try it in one or two small places to see if you like it first and then expand its use if you like it. YOU have to like your car, not us.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 2nd 2005, 15:50

Quote:
if used right, it can look good. use it very sparingly and only in placed that you would typically see c/f. when is the last time you saw a c/f rim?
Come on admit it, that rim looks cool. I would agree that it should be used sparingly, however why would you limit it's use to places you would typically see c/f? The short answer I would imagine would be because your trying to hide the fact that it's fake. IMO by doing so you would draw more attention to the piece and it would stand out like a sore thumb.

If it were me, I would embrace the fact that it was fake, and use it in places that you would'nt traditionally see c/f. That product in the hands of someone with a little imagination could really turn out something that looked awsome.
Old December 2nd 2005, 15:52

Zen, I've seen the ebrake and kick panel. Looked good, nice detail touch. That’s sort of where my hunt began.

I really haven't decided where to use it but it will for sure be sparingly. I was thinking of creating a rear dash speaker panel and then applying the texture. I can work pretty good with wood and a bit with metal, but as I mentioned I've never tried C/F. Kinda scared to spend the money and it come out looking like junk.
Old December 2nd 2005, 18:12

if that is tape similar to what i used, it will show EVERY slight bump (including dust) or divot. be sure the surface is perfect. compound curves are pretty challenging too. i never could get my kick panels right. had to have the dude that sold me it put that tape on for me.

the reason i say use it in places you would normally see it is for just that, most people would be buying it in place of real c/f. and if you want it to be convincing, it needs to look in place. not saying it can't be used elsewhere and might even look good depending on the quality of the tape. mine would never cut it in most obvious places since it is really just gray dashes on black tape. it would take much to send the car into ricer land with mis-use of the stuff.

just my opinion of course. to each his own. that is what makes these cars interesting. if i wanted mine to look like everyone else's, i would have gone resto-custom or cal-look.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 3rd 2005, 01:19

I think it's thew worst thing ever invented. Like Zen said, it's essentially grey dashes on black tape, aka, checkerboard pattern. And since it's on Automotive stuff, it's percieved as carbon. You can spot the stuff at a glance, you don't even have to look at it closely it's so obvious.

The only cool thing about that company, is that it's laid onto it, so it gives a more realistic appearance....but it still looks horribly fake.

It's SO FAKE looking, it's a mockery...and if you are going to do it, do it on everything.....cover your entire car.
Old December 3rd 2005, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
I think it's thew worst thing ever invented. Like Zen said, it's essentially grey dashes on black tape, aka, checkerboard pattern. And since it's on Automotive stuff, it's percieved as carbon. You can spot the stuff at a glance, you don't even have to look at it closely it's so obvious.

The only cool thing about that company, is that it's laid onto it, so it gives a more realistic appearance....but it still looks horribly fake.

It's SO FAKE looking, it's a mockery...and if you are going to do it, do it on everything.....cover your entire car.
Okay...tell us how you really feel! oicdn you hate the product, I think the product has some merit, IF USED SPARINGLY. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject, like "BIG PEOPLE." However you could have used a little more tact and left out the last comment.
Old December 4th 2005, 00:54

That would kick some serious butt. A C/F Bug..... Just think of it. Now that is originality. It will be pricey, but in the end well worth it.

Seriously, I respect your opinions. I just recently found the product surfing net. Didn't think it would cause a C/F Battle.

If any one knows how to work with "real" C/F, I would love some insight and would much rather go that route.

All ways a treat here