GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 6th 2006, 14:24

Some Problems

Please help me with this
http://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16589
Old January 6th 2006, 15:05

When I installed my 1776 i had a 009 fitted and a petronix coil. then i changed from points to a petronix ignitor and everything works fine. At the beggining I was running with normal spark plugs, but then changed to a different heat rating (appart from the rating the new have less thread). You said you had a distributor in new condition...( points and condenser) did you pulled out the whole distributor, or just opened the top and changed the parts inside??? If you pulled it out compleely probably your engine is out of settings (advance) so this could be the reason for erratic running.

With an Engle 110 cam the carb you are running can be considered small, meaning your engine runs lean (starving on fuel). Im using weber 40mm dual carbs on mine and 128 main jets and it still starves above 6500 rpm...

Also check the fuel line. Do you have a fuel filter? If not put one, cos your carb might have been clogged due to dirt particles in the gas. This could be a reason for the erratic running in the first place.

Remember that all electronics/electrics dont like even much humidity, imagine been fully wet... Check the spark plug cables for cracks and replace if neccessary. Check the plugs as well. If the engine was running lean there would have been detonation and the plugs might have been damaged. Also check the gap on the plugs and fit the spacer ring if neccessary

Now about the last part: Does your carb have a choke machanism for cold staring? If yes check for proper operation. I not get used to the feeling (gets worse in really col and humid weather).

The reason for that is that a choke actualy enriches the mixture by letting LESS air into the carb, so an upgraded engine (cc's) with a small carb will therefore give this feeling when starting from cold.
sorry for the long post

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL

Last edited by beetle1303; January 6th 2006 at 15:11.
Old January 6th 2006, 16:06

Thanks for the answer..

iīve 2 dist. One for emergency (mechanic) and the electronic one (in use).

i changed the whole distributor to an electronic original bosh one (donīt remember part number) and it also uses a module.

When you say itīs out of setting.. do you refer about timing? The engine starts at the first attempt and i just went to buy a set of electronic sparks plug (12 pm) and it didnīt made the problem.

The carb has the choke and itīs working.

now about this part: an upgraded engine (cc's) with a small carb will therefore give this feeling when starting from cold.
Can u explain more plz.