GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 4th 2002, 13:09

Some Remmele replacement heads (Vanagon heads) were flow tested. Those are CNC machined heads with 45/38 valves I think. I am not sure about that.
Anyways....those heads out flowed FAT's big 48X40 heads from Shad. That should tell you something. And I think that the flow of those heads was quite significant.
A couple of months ago when I posted the coming of those heads oh the STF everybody said that those heads were no good.

I find that people here in America look more locally than finding additional information on what you can get. Exhaust for those heads are not that exspenive either. The only exhaust system that I consider being good in the US is the one from Tangerine Racing which starts at 1200$ US and goes up to 1900$ US.
The other thing is that at first people compalin about those parts being so expensive but if someone develops a similar part here for the same price everybody says how great it is.

I am not saying that one or the other is better but after following the development I can say that posting information about products being available in Germany and not in the US (yet) is a risky business. Too many negative things were posted aobut them without having any proof. Theory sure sounds great.
Example......BAS CUP exhaust: Price 1000-1100$ US
This is a stainless steel exhaust that was said has poor fittment and nobody was sure that it ouwpld make the power that was promised. Jake dynoed the smaller one and claimed 30HP more.

For that price I will take the fittment problems and make it fit on my engine and I would get the more expensive 1000$ CUP exhaust. Even tuners like Oliver will tell you that you can make it even better by changing the mufflers on it.
Again....this is just an example but I think it proofs a point.
The US has some great engine builders and tuning shops. the deveopment of special parts is just starting in the US.

Lets wait and give it some time.
I also remember that a lot of parts were not know in the US that are available. A reason for this site. The engine gallery has some pics of the vanagon head exhausts.
Alex
Old September 5th 2002, 16:33

kdanie

Alex, $1,000 for any exhaust is may too much for me! That is why I am building my own header to suit my engine combination. It will cost me about $350 including the ceramic coating and muffler. I have 3 of the 4 pipes laid out and tacked, I ran out of bends and have to order a couple more to finish the 4th pipe. Building a header is not as hard as people think. It takes a lot of thought and patience but I find it an interesting challenge-getting 4 pipes starting at different places to end up at the same place and the same length with out interfearing with the rest of the engine can be quite the head scratcher. To make matters more challenging, I positioned the collector under the valve cover on the passenger side so my collector extension pipe will run accross the rear of the engine inside the rear apron with the muffler tucked in the fenderwell like the "hide-out" type 1 systems.

ken
Old September 5th 2002, 16:41

If you take some pics when it is done we are happy to post it up to the Engine gallery.

Alex
Old September 6th 2002, 10:45

Alex,
I will try and post some pics when the header is back from the coater. I learned to TIG weld yesterday, it's soooo choice!! Much easier to control than MIG and cleaner too. I'm no exhaust artist like Chris at Tangerine Racing but I can do ok.
ken