GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 26th 2002, 21:34
devnull

Unhappy Strange Carb part

Hello. I recently rebuilt my 34 pict 3 carb for my '72 beetle. When I took the carb off the manifold, there was something rattling around in my float bowl. It turned out to be a stainless steel ball (Like on the screws on the right side of the carb, but a little bigger) and a little brass cup like object that is threaded on one end. I have never seen this part before. I took a picture but it is pretty blurry. I would take another picture, but I have lost the little ball. (Dog sneazed...) Anybody know where these go?
Old August 27th 2002, 18:07

Click SOLEX 34 PICT 3 - BODY PHOTOS and do an inventory check. If it's a BOCAR, same-o same-o.

I can only guess it might be the guts of the needle valve assembly; just a guess. Did you "rebuild" this carb blind i.e. without a parts diagram handy? Very dangerous ...

Old August 29th 2002, 04:02
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Post ...

Sounds for me like the ball that closes the fuel pump jet to richen the mixture while accelerating. It functions like a shut-off valve, so that the fuel pump circuit of the carb is permanently under fuel. If you loose one of both bals, you have to "pump" your carb to accelerate, as the fuel stand is too low in your carb to have direct enrichment. I would exchange the carb, as this ball is secured through a press-in plug and it's not easy to relocate that.

Btw, is this brass part drilled in the middle or is it a also a just a plug? a picture would be helpful, but I would start with a rebuild of another 34 PICT with help of detailed instructions, as Rouser told before.