GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old March 20th 2006, 09:12

How to fix an Kamei spoiler ?

Hi,

I bought a original Kamei spoiler last week (for 20€ !!! ), and I would like to try it on my 1303, in a first time just to see if it's look great or not !

But I have only the spoiler, without the fixing.

Could somebody send me some pictures, so I can see how I can fix it ?

Thank you very much
Vinz
Old March 20th 2006, 13:22

No pictures of the mountings to hand.

Europa bumpers are needed.

It mounts to the inside of the bottom lip of the bumper, through the various holes in the bottom of the bumper.

I also tied mine to the front wings as it was flexing a bit too much.. On this pic you can just make out the mountings (very outside edges, about halfway up)... Bolts with nuts on the back of the airdam, another nut against the wing then a final nut inside the wing... BIG penny washers (covered in black tape in the case of the ones in the picture) to prevent them damaging anything.

Wont have a fast bug without an airdam now, makes the car feel much nicer at speed.

Looks cool too

Cheers,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old March 20th 2006, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat
Europa bumpers are needed.

It mounts to the inside of the bottom lip of the bumper, through the various holes in the bottom of the bumper.
Are the Europa bumpers different from the US-spec 1968-73 bumpers (besides the indicators)?

I have a Kamei I haven't even taken out of the packaging yet. I was told the installation was just as you described for me as well. It isn't something I'm in a hurry about because I won't consider it until the engine is upgraded. Then, I will see how much of a difference it makes and whether scraping pavement will become an issue.
Old March 20th 2006, 17:04

I have had both types, with indicators and without... Used totally different bumper irons to mount to the car...

Worked fine with both

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
Old March 20th 2006, 17:12

Quote:
I have had both types, ... Worked fine with both
Ahh, that's the splash of good news I wanted to see. Thanks.
Old March 20th 2006, 22:57

Can somebody tell me what are the dimension on a kamei spoiler, espacially height? I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks

BTW, French, I'm looking forward seeing you car with a kamei!!!!
Old March 21st 2006, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Ahh, that's the splash of good news I wanted to see. Thanks.

Be warned though... There are (at least) 2 types of kamei airdam... one for superbeetles and one for regular bugs... the ones for regular bugs dont fit easily.

Cheers,
Sam C
Old March 21st 2006, 07:47

Quote:
There are (at least) 2 types of kamei airdam... one for superbeetles and one for regular bugs
Interesting. Since I was part of a group buy exclusively with Super owners and some have installed theirs already, I feel fairly confident with my situation. I must say when US-spec Beetles abandoned the "towel rack" bumpers for 1968, I figured the 1968-73 bumpers were interchangeable for standards and Supers.

The next time there is a weekend day of t-shirt weather around here, I will take mine out of its shipping carton and line it up. I will check for fitment at the same time I will check to see if there will be scraping issues with my driveway. Thanks!
Old March 21st 2006, 11:56

I knew there is a differance but what is it? I own a 1974 standard with shock absorbing bumber. Can I fit a super-b kamei? Can somebody Please tell me what is the heigth of their kamei. IT'S VERRRRY IMPORTANT. I want a set up like on the picture (same wheels, tire dimansion and ride heigth), and would like to know if I can fit a kamei on it or it's going to be too low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nn_fertig_vli.jpg (12.5 KB, 100 views)
Old March 21st 2006, 14:10

Okay, I revisited the group buy at SBO.com and the vendor we purchased through (aircooled.net), and I found out some things.

Firstly and just as samcat said, there are two different Kamei spoilers. (Perhaps, I should say at least two different Kamei spoilers.) One is listed as being for "Super Beetles" and the other is listed for "1968-73 standard Beetles."

Secondly, those who had 1974 and later bumpers (North American market) had to make modifications to make them fit. It was surmised that since the rest of the world never got the larger bumpers, it was assumed by Kamei that Super Beetle bumpers would be a direct bolt-on for all Supers.

That did not deter the buyers of the later bumpers, however. I have attached a link to page 13 of that group buy where the Kamei was installed by two different people. It is very well explained complete with pics.

I realize kleinporsche has a standard and wants a measurement. On the first part, I will assume the mods made by the Super owners with the larger bumpers would coincide with what is necessary for standard owners.

I looked up the bumpers a MidAmerica and CIP, and both list the same bumpers for the same years regardless if the car in question is a Super or a standard (e.g. the 1968-73 standard and 1971-73 Super had the same part numbers for front bumpers as did 1974-77 standards and 1974-79 Supers). Therefore, I presume the differences between Kameis for standard Beetles and Kameis for Super Beetles has something more to do with other aspects than the bumpers. And if that presumption is correct, one of the differences may be its size.

I did not see any measurement actually posted. I will fetch my Kamei out of storage as soon as I can if someone else hasn't posted the dimensions kp needs.
Old March 21st 2006, 14:37

Definatly at least 3 types now:

VERY rare original kamei airdam... For EARLY bugs

Its called the Kamei Aerofix spoiler if anyones interested.

Cya,
Sam C
Old March 21st 2006, 14:39

Oh, I just compared my original kamei super beetle airdam against the carbon dam on my car which I just found out is for a standard bug... The standard bug one is identical except its around 1.5-2" shorter... So if your very low it could be just what you need.

Sam C
Old March 21st 2006, 18:35

Quote:
The standard bug one is identical except its around 1.5-2" shorter...
... but $20 more expensive through aircooled.net ...
Old March 21st 2006, 21:49

Thanks guys. hey Samcat. Is your CF spoiler and kamei spoiler taller than 9"? The reason I'm asking is because I saw an airdam (other than kamei: Ronal) for sale but it's 9 inches tall and I'm wondering if it will srape the asphalt.

Secondly, do you guys know how to fit a euro bumper (with blinkers),like samcat's bumper, to a shock absorber standard????????? I 'd really like to have one of those bumpers.
Thanks for your help.
Old March 22nd 2006, 04:47

If it is Ronal I know, that seller is selling it because he is afraid of scraping. He is keeping his Kamei for a future install. The pics I saw with a Ronal installed looked like it was better suited for track racing as there was very little room between edge and street.

There is an answer/solution for the second question. I looked into it a couple of years ago when I thought I was going to buy a '75. I don't remember the full details of the swapping.