GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old March 22nd 2006, 10:25

Thanks Oasis. I would love to have the details on the swapping!!!!
Secondly I know the Ronal is 9 inches, was is the heigth differance between the ronal and kamei. I saw some pretty low rides with Kamei's on. Even if it scapes a little: does not matter, it's ABS: it won't break!!!!
Old March 22nd 2006, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinporsche
I would love to have the details on the swapping!
Here you go. CLICK ME

Quote:
I saw some pretty low rides with Kamei's on.
I think the really low rides with the Kamei is because of some serious lowering with the front end. But I am not sure. It is my guess from my impressions of looking over many pictures of different rides.

I am so wound up about it now, I am definitely digging it out of storage and its original shipping box this weekend to give it a trial fit and measure.

Quote:
Even if it scapes a little: does not matter, it's ABS: it won't break!
I think somewhere in that multipage thread I linked for you I found out what ABS was. I have no experience with it but I have heard about its resistance to breakage before. I'm glad to have your confirmation on it.

By the way, I have a 1971 Super lowered one notch with MaXX struts. I didn't do a pre-measure so I am not sure what amount it was lowered. I would guess 1½-2 inches. Suffice to say, it ain't slammed.
Old March 27th 2006, 01:47

thanks oasis but what I wanted to know is how to get rid of the stupid shock absorbers and get brakets to bolt a european bumper..... Is there anyone who did that?
Old March 27th 2006, 04:52

Try doing a search at SuperBeetlesOnly.com. I know this has been discussed there--probably including by someone who has done it. I will try to find it later in the day for you when I get a breather.
Old March 28th 2006, 00:42

Thanks Oasis, you're the man. I'm not very used to Superbeetles.com
Old March 28th 2006, 08:07

Actually, SuperBeetles.com and SuperBeetlesOnly.com are two different sites. They are both nice. The latter has more traffic as far as posts are concerned.

I found one such thread at SBO.com for you.

bumper conversion explained

Looks simple enough to the technoklutz in me.
Old March 29th 2006, 00:27

I may have actually missed this, but does anyone have any ideas about repairing cracks in the spoiler?
I am now much more concerned with repairing the spoiler that i have, as they seem to have become more finite.

Thanks,

Nick
Old March 29th 2006, 10:11

Is yours an original ABS one or is it made out of carbon fiber or some other material?

(I won't know your answer no matter what my answer is but it may help those who do know. )
Old March 29th 2006, 12:28

Carbon fibre can be repaired with fibreglass.
ABS ones I have repaired using aralydite (a multipart adhesive).

Run a hacksaw blade up the split, rough sandpaper around the split (to provide a surface that the repair material can bind to. Fill it with the repair material and let it sit for a while to set.

WONT be as strong where the repair was made....

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old March 30th 2006, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat
Carbon fibre can be repaired with fibreglass.
ABS ones I have repaired using aralydite (a multipart adhesive).

Run a hacksaw blade up the split, rough sandpaper around the split (to provide a surface that the repair material can bind to. Fill it with the repair material and let it sit for a while to set.

WONT be as strong where the repair was made....

Sam C
Thanks for the info samcat, i'll look into it!
Old May 24th 2006, 14:28

With the Kamei spoiler mounted, you will be amazed at how much more stable the car will feel at speed on the open highway. You will no longer be blown about by crosswinds and big trucks. The faster you go the more stable it feels. Now 100+mph is comfortable with no front end floating into the air, it feels more like you are on rails.

You can crack a Kamei abs spoiler if it is over flexed (if you catch a parking curb or tall speed bump or big dip or steep driveway) for normal road scrapes you will not even notice except for a little fuzz of scraped off abs. For the most part it is very durable.

I enter driveways at an angle if at all possible to help reduce the chance of scraping it. I did something stupid (ran over a tool bag and then had to back off of it) and cracked mine a little up by the bumper mount on one side. Thanks for the repair info samcat. I have another new one in a box for racing but this one is still working just fine for the street.

The instructions say to mount it to the bumper and also bolt it to the front fenders/wings to provide the proper support. One of the SuperBeetlesOnly.com members fabbed up some struts that bolted to the bumper brackets at the body to avoid driling the fenders.

The SuperBeetle Kamei is 7-1/2" (19cm) tall at the center (tallest point).

You will need to be carefull for your first few drives after it is installed until you get used to the fact of reduced ground clearance. It does not take that long to retrain your brain and it may save your spoiler from potential damage.

If you go fast, you need a Kamei!

Last edited by Bugorsh; May 24th 2006 at 14:39.