GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old January 12th 2011, 11:22

Gents, we need to pool some info.

Also how thick do our adapter plates need realistically to be? And how are we sealing to the bell housing face - can we go as far as clearancing this a bit and using a different seal or indeed the rear of the slave cylinder.

Ive been chatting to a guy at Sachs about one.

Its a VAG 1.9TDi part that will require some mods, but it is

~40mm pressed total height, ~33mm to the mounting face
~60mm extended total, ~53mm to mounting face
single pipe to feed/bleed
60mm OD bearing face
PCD of mountings ~85mm

I have some nice spec/pictures too which is very useful.

Luis, is it possible to get those sort of specs from yours?
Old February 10th 2014, 17:15

Back on with this a little. After viewing this thread after some crafty Googling http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...r=asc&start=38 I've seen that the old seal used to be much thinner than the new 13mm one. This gives an extra couple of millimetres that can be shaved from the mounting face. That might be enough to slip in an adapter plate and retain the proper clutch actuation distance as measured on the beetle box.

The replacement seal that I've been eyeing is 22x40x8 with a twin lip http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearin...0-x-7-r23/8798 and at only 7mm thick means that there is potentially nearly half of the boss area that can be milled away. This seal appears to be from a Yamaha bike front wheel. But so long as it does the job I'm happy.

A seal and exploration of a scrap gearbox case will have to wait, but it does look promising

That is of course unless someone is feeling very flush http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Butee-embraya...item461a6e906b... €450 is a little too much for me
Old February 10th 2014, 18:36

And this is the slave that is needed http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/clutch-...44d9a65acea94e Saab 900, possibly won't need an adapter, but not 100% sure on this, need to get my hands on one
Old February 11th 2014, 13:16

I got one of those Passat throw-outs like Wally used,
but chickened out on using it on my 923.
But only after cutting it, of course...
You can have it if you are going to actually use the thing and post the results up.

Old February 11th 2014, 18:41

Thanks for the offer, I have one in a similar state in the garage! Think mine is a Sachs though... I also have a Saab 9-3 one which is too tall.

I specifically need the Saab 900 one, that is as close to what I can see and have read is correct, I'll probably get one from God or ESP, measure it and take it back or get one for when I'm next home to trial fit and do the same. I know I can get one for £44 posted but I'll have to pay to return it if it all goes wrong. Crafty.

But certainly a step closer. MC wise I'm thinking of changing what I have to a BMW one which is more compact for in tunnel mounting.

Last edited by al_kaholik; February 11th 2014 at 18:54.