GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old April 24th 2006, 10:46

amplifier placement in a 1302

Phase Three for my 1971 Super Beetle was going to be engine and transmission with Phase Four being Part Two of the interior (gauges and stereo). Phase Two of the house renovation has taken precedence so rather than do nothing with the car, I have decided to go ahead with the stereo install since I pretty much know what I want.

I have decided to go with an Alpine head unit that is new for this year. I like its interface with an iPod (which I also need to get) as a solution over CD changers and magazines. (I will do the same with my '02 Cabrio thereby simplifying my life and joining the 21st Century at the same time.)

I will use Alpine 6x9 speakers in the rear speaker shelf that matches the Scat interior I already have. I will use 5¼-inch Alpine speakers in the front fiberglass kick panels from JBugs.

I have never been one for elaborate stereo systems at home or in the car as I am often at a loss to hear the difference between a $2,000 system I think is awfully good and a $5,000 system that makes others drool. Nevertheless, I have been talked into getting an amp for my modest little system mentioned above.

It seems obvious to me the amp must go in the front trunk area ... but where? ... and how?

I want it to be in the least intrusive area and be protected when cargo is tossed in. After the engine is done, moving the battery to the front is going to be part of the gauge install.

Any suggestions? Any pics?
Old April 24th 2006, 17:11

a few options for you and a question

are you going to have a spare tire? if not you can build an amp rack in there, just build a rectangle box (round shaped, moon shaped, whatever looks good to you and saves space, maybe with enough room to put your battery in there too.) same depth as the amp with a hole cut into the top the same shape as the amp about a 1/4" bigger all around depending on that you are going to cover the amp rack with, carpet, leather ect.. that way you can toss stuff in the hood and not worry about wires getting pinched ripped out or whatever. just the top of the amp will show.

If you are keeping the spare, and im not real familer with a SB but i believe the fuel tank sits further back than on the older bugs? so thats really the only place it could go (spare well) without getting to involved..

but you might think about putting it behind the back seat under the parcel tray that your 6x9s are sitting on. the firewall right there is an option or on the the bottom tray, you could even still do the amp rack back there too and still be able to put stuff back there and not have to worry about it to much.

one last option is under one of the front seats or even under the back seat depending on how big the amp is and how much room is under there, like i said im not to familer with a SB.

BTW good choice to go with an amp, sound quality with one is 100 times better even if your not totaly into your stereo system, it will also make your speakers last longer..

~Mike
Old April 24th 2006, 20:07

I installed my 4-channel under the back seat, opposite the battery. If you put it there, cover your voltage regulator so it it doesn't short out with the amp.
Old April 24th 2006, 20:45

There is a picture of ours on this page
We have a 4 channel amp, 2 6x9's and a 8"sub in a deathbox all fits behind the rear seat with room left for tools & stuff.
Old April 26th 2006, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Any suggestions? Any pics?
don't have pics, but all the amps i've had in my super have been under the front passenger seat. i've switched between one and two 12's in the space behind the back seat, driven off the amp, and a pair of 6x9's driven off the head unit. it really depends on the size of your amp though. however, with the battery up front, it would complicate wiring runs to the amp with it under the seat.
Old April 26th 2006, 10:59

Thanks for the spirited responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribz
are you going to have a spare tire?
Definitely, yes. I am currently carrying a doughnut. I have a full-sized spare wheel, too, but the tire on it is a fraction too large to fit into the wheel well. I haven't decided if I will go with a slightly smaller tire or stick with the doughnut.

I will want the battery up front eventually but I haven't conceived it thoroughly yet and that won't be done during this phase.

Quote:
you might think about putting it behind the back seat under the parcel tray that your 6x9s are sitting on. the firewall right there is an option or on the the bottom tray, you could even still do the amp rack back there too and still be able to put stuff back there and not have to worry about it to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyboy
There is a picture of ours on this page
We have a 4 channel amp, 2 6x9's and a 8"sub in a deathbox all fits behind the rear seat with room left for tools & stuff.
This is similar to what I would want. I guess when the battery move happens, it will be an added pain to have more distance between battery and amp but that'll be a one-shot deal. I don't think I will opt for the sub, though.

Quote:
BTW good choice to go with an amp, sound quality with one is 100 times better even if your not totaly into your stereo system, it will also make your speakers last longer.
These words of support mean a lot to this novice.

Quote:
one last option is under one of the front seats or even under the back seat depending on how big the amp is and how much room is under there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbug74
all the amps i've had in my super have been under the front passenger seat. i've switched between one and two 12's in the space behind the back seat, driven off the amp, and a pair of 6x9's driven off the head unit. it really depends on the size of your amp though. however, with the battery up front, it would complicate wiring runs to the amp with it under the seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw
I installed my 4-channel under the back seat, opposite the battery. If you put it there, cover your voltage regulator so it it doesn't short out with the amp.
Maybe. I would be more excited with the under-the-back-seat option if I knew I would just keep my battery there as well.

I have a lot to think about. These answers were very useful for me. :agree:
Old April 26th 2006, 17:50

Under the front seats

Because I am running aftermarket buckets I welded 2mm thick box section side to side... Amps boards fit perfectly in the gap between the front and rear seat mount.

Once seats are installed amp removal is impossible, You have to remove the seats to get the amps out (great for security).

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old April 26th 2006, 23:48

Hmmm, didn't think of the security aspect. Thanks! I've got some measurin' to do ... and about 12 days to decide (if all goes well).
Old April 27th 2006, 01:35

If you are here for the spirit of German Look as well as the actual look, you'll want your battery and amp and anything else of any weight moved to the front of the car for handling reasons. Bugs tend to push(understeer) first, then snap oversteer as the motor weight gets going. The added weight up front will increase initial turn in and if you have oversteer, may help to keep the front end moving instead of just being the axis of rotation. The nearest to the back I would go with an amp is under the passengers seat, keeping the weight low and balancing out your weight to a degree. Bugs are notoriously tail happy, so if you can move a little weight up front, you can keep things a little better balanced. My amp, sub, sub box, battery, and X-overs will all be up front.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 27th 2006, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
If you are here for the spirit of German Look as well as the actual look, you'll want your battery and amp and anything else of any weight moved to the front of the car for handling reasons.
Absolutely. I'm right there with you.

In my opening salvo of this thread, I stated it seemed obvious to me (at that time) to place the amp up front. I also stated that moving the battery up there was something I wanted to do eventually.

There are two reasons I am not moving the battery up there now. It is an added expense I don't want to deal with at the moment while our house is being transformed. Indeed, the stereo part of the car's transformation was going to be done with the gauges, etc. of the interior, and all of that was going to be after I improved the drivetrain.

The other reason is I haven't blueprinted in my mind yet how the front trunk area is going to look. For example, I know I want a spare tire but I don't know if I am going doughnut or full-sized. I will also want an electric windshield washer pump that I haven't ordered yet. When it is all said and done, I will want as much of the front area still available for stuff.

(It dawned on me while trying to reconsider the above two reasons I actually have a third reason: I don't trust the jokers that will probably do the stereo install to do other things like moving the battery. I suppose I could buy the necessary materials and find someone who I would trust. I don't know ...)

If the amp goes in the front trunk area now, I would want it (1) protected from other stuff and (2) installed where it will stay even after future mods.

I totally agree with you on the GL aspect of this. That is one of the reasons I chose this forum over some of the others to pose this question. (Funny thing is had I purchased the 1303 I was envisioning at first and may still purchase some day, I wouldn't have a stereo of any kind ... or a back seat for that matter.)

Thanks.
Old April 28th 2006, 17:51

Do it all yourself. "If you want it done right, do it yourself" There is a LOT of knowledge to be had on this site, and if you just ask, you probably find the answer to your questions. Sounds systems are relatively easy, and batteries are even easier.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old April 28th 2006, 19:36

for sure man, feel free to ask me any questions too, ive been doing stereo and alarm stuff for close to 15 years professionally, as in paying the bills and another few just hacking up my own stuff before that

ill give you my number if you have something real specific that would take days to type out, if you are in the states ill even call you if you want, cell phones are great when thay work lol

Mike
Old April 29th 2006, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
Do it all yourself.
When I get a house with a garage, I will. And the next house will have a garage. And it will be used as a garage; not storage for the bikes, the lawn mower and the electric belly-button lint remover waiting to be regifted.

Part of the reason we are doing house renovations is because I reject many prospective houses. At least half of my rejections are because of a lack of a garage or an insufficient garage.

I have to shell out the extra greenbacks for now.
Old May 10th 2006, 08:35

I thought I was going to have some news to report. I won't give the whole blow-by-blow, but I have a concrete date for the install (this time) -- next Wednesday. I want to be sure to check in with all of the help I got.
Old May 10th 2006, 20:08

I'll be around! Let 'er rip.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run