GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old March 24th 2013, 17:36

one piece window help

well ive been assembling my bug now that its painted and really trying to make headway on it. the last few weeks have been, i take 2 steps fwd, just to end up 4 steps back. oh well ill work thru it. so i bought a one piece window kit thru mid amarica. of course its an empi kit. well the one piece window scrapers are just a giant pile of junk. the clips that are suppose to hold in the scrapers dont work, i have no idea how they could. basically once you install the clips into the scrapers, the rubber is so thick that it wont allow the clip to clip into the door like it should. i called a friend of mine since he has them on his bug, he said to use windshield glue that they use on most new cars. so i tried that and it ended up being a huge mess. so i ditched that idea. today i tried using screws to screw them into place, although i did succeed, the end result i was not happy with. what happened was once i got the otter scraper installed, it was VERY hard to get the inner scraper installed. i did this with the glass taken out of the door. so im asking my fellow germanlook friends to chip in as to if any have and suggestions as to where i can buy a good quality set of scrapers, or some sort of insight as to how to install these things.
Old March 25th 2013, 08:41
Administrator

I installed mine (like 10 years ago) using the clips and lots of foul words. I do remember I had to cut some radial slits in the metal at each end to curve them to fit the widow opening. I also had to tweak the shape of the clips so they would lock in. The outers went in fist and then the inners were a PITA. The felt channels had to go in before the scrappers. I used a gasket scraper to pry the clips in until they snapped in place.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe