GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 19th 2003, 17:50

one of us needs to make a template available for this. since i haven't tackled it yet, how about you? it would be great if it was available in full size in PDF so it can be printed (on plotter at kinko's or wherever) and used to cut the material. i have some c/f piece i will be using with no room for error.

as for the sealing, i have heard jake say that he has used the seal from bus sealing tin since it has adhesive on it already (double stick tape) and leaves it as easily removable tin. it is basic foam.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 20th 2003, 09:34

Sandeep,
As for your 'desperately' needed cup brace, there is an easier way to tackle the unwanted movement of the engine: a rear engine mount is probably enough up to the torque of up to appr. 2,4 ltr engines. I believe on the ahnendorp site they are shown also. Its also easier to make yourself than a cup brace and if you want to buy s/th, the rear engine mount is also much cheaper.
More torque making engines might overstress the rear bodywork too much, I agree, but for your 2 liter it should do fine...(have driven with one myself for years)
Regards,
Walter
Old June 20th 2003, 10:26
Administrator

Racelook,

I found out that there is a chassis dyno about 5 mins from my house. It is an import tuning shop and I will enquire about dyno time.

Zen,

The peices fit very well ... LOTS of time making carboard templates and then figuring out how to install them. I have made them in 3 peices, will take pics on the weekend. I can trace them out full size and mail you a copy. This might be a nice option to add to the CarbonJoe decklids.

Wally,

Alex picked me up a cup brace when he was in Germany. Really nice unit.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Sandeep
Old June 20th 2003, 13:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandeep
I can trace them out full size and mail you a copy. This might be a nice option to add to the CarbonJoe decklids.

Alex picked me up a cup brace when he was in Germany. Really nice unit.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Sandeep
that would be great sandeep. i will email you my address.

what brace did you get, CSP? i am shopping for one right now.

Old June 20th 2003, 13:41
Administrator

Not sure on the brand of brace but its the same one Alex has on his chassis in the Cup Brace article. Mine is a 3 bar setup, Alex has a 5 bar.

Its a beefy unit with LH & RH threads, all of the stamped steel pieces that need to be welded and nicely machined aluminum bars. The connectors that screw into the bars are beefy aluminum too ... they look like the Heigo stuff. Too nice to hide under the body .... might have to install a plexiglass parcel tray so I can see it ! :hehehe:

Sandeep
Old July 5th 2003, 12:50
Administrator

Tin templates

Here's the pics of the tins installed. I just made some aluminum brackets and fitted them to some existing studs around the pulley, and then attached the tins to them.

They fit very well. All I have to do now is either paint them or get them made out of Carbon. Not sure yet.

Email me with your address and I can mail you a paper copy of the templates. I'll just send them out regular mail.

Zen,

I have your address and will mail them out this weekend.

Steve,

Send me your address and I'll mail you out a copy aswell.

Sandeep
Old July 5th 2003, 18:46

looks great. really great. i won't have enough to do it in one piece though.

i am also considering adding a piece behind the belt vertically from the top of the sealing tin to the bottom of the fan housing. and taper it to the angle of the belt on both sides. basically covers the chimney.

Old July 6th 2003, 11:13

Sandeep,
That looks very neat! Must have been a lot of filing to get it that nicely fitting.
My experience is however that some sort of seal between the tin and your shroud is necessary to avoid the tin rubbing into the softer shroud material because of movement of the engine while driving. You may look into that?
Also an exact template may not fit another car that exactly, since every car seems to be a little different around the rear inner fenders...(this is also why the BAS exhaust is a kit, rather than one piece).
BTW Where is your oil filler tube? or do you fil through a breather tube?
Greetings,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; July 6th 2003 at 11:16.
Old July 7th 2003, 09:03
Administrator

Wally,

I have just noticed some slight rubbing between the tin and shroud. I'll find something to put in there to take care of it.

Currently, I fill the oil through a breather tube, but when I get the new engine built, the NOS case I have already has the boss by the pulley opened so I can run one of the oil filler/dipstick tube combos.

Sandeep
Old July 7th 2003, 21:49
Administrator

Post Oil cooler and ducting

Here's some pics of the oil cooler location and the ducting for it. Its a 96 plate mesa cooler with 180 deg oil thermostat and 180 deg fan switch and Spal fan with 30 amp relay.

There is a square cut out under the cooler that vents the hot air outside the body. the opening is covered with a tight mesh that keep debris out.

Here is the ducting ... 4" aluminum duct with some furnace attachments that you can find at the local hardware store. I thought it added a 'race look' to the rear seat area... nice and neat.

I just have to get the cooler box made out of Carbon now.

Cont in next post ...
Old July 7th 2003, 21:50
Administrator

Here is a pic of the scoop (furnace ducting) under the car. Don't look at the rotted heater channel

The scoop is placed behind the torsion beam so I can still add a rear swaybar and it sits about 1 1/2" below the lower shock mount. It does not rub on speed bumps at all. I just have to install the drivers side scoop now.

I decided against the NACA ducts in the rear windows because I didn't want to cut up the windows. I want the lines of the cat to look smooth.

You can't tell from looking at the car that there is any ducting unless you look underneith the car. The whole project cost about $20 buck.

I have noticed that the fan does not come on as much now when I'm cruising. Before this mod the fan used to turn on and stay on on trips longer than 15 minutes but now it turns on and off intermittently on these trips so the duct is definately working. I'll see how it works with the second duct this weekend.

Sandeep
Old July 15th 2003, 22:32

Great Job

Sandeep

Just reading through your project and the excellent job on this
type four to beetle installation. Living in Toronto area and
looking to do a similar installation of e type four engine in my
super beetle I think you could be a great wealth of information
and ideas. Looking forward to talking sometime.

Allan
Old July 15th 2003, 22:41
Administrator

Talking

Allan,

Glad you like the thread, would be great to meet you. Check out the Boxer Auto Gruppe forum for when our next meet is.

Alex is in Oakville and has a big Type 4 (Porsche cooling) going into his '52 Split, Jamie is in Brampton and has a 2056 T4 (Cali cooling conversion) going into his ghia, and I have the 914 2.0 (Fat 911 cooling) in my bug, so between the 3 of us, we've got it covered !

Looking to autocross at Great Canadian on Aug 10th. Should be cool.

Sandeep
Old September 20th 2003, 17:59

sandeep, did you leave your license plate in the stock location or move it up? looks to be in the stock location in the pics.

Old September 20th 2003, 20:58
Administrator

Talking Looks can be deceiving

Its actually moved up 1 3/4" and the space behind the plate is cut out and the plate is on 1" spacers.

Low enough not to raise suspicion and high enough to let the 911 fan get air.

Sandeep