GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 18th 2004, 12:03

sandeep, got any pics of the sealing tin around the front of the engine? curious how you handled coming up and around the tranny. i have the bell crank linkage there to deal with too though.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 19th 2004, 10:39
Administrator

I don't have any tin at the front of the engine .. the rear tin goes up to the manifolds and does a good job of keeping the header heat from the 911 fan.

Do you really need front tin ? It would finish off the engine bay though

Sandeep
Old January 20th 2004, 09:00

yea. the idea is to totally seal off the top from the bottom. there are some challenging areas though. around the manifolds and up and ove the tranny. i had also seen a recommendation to use bus engine bay seal for the perimeter since it has an adhesive strip. i am sure several things could be substituted there though.

the aluminum should be able to bend nicely up and around the tranny. i am going to be trying to use various sizes of c/f, so i will just have to see if i have enough and the right sizes. otherwise i guess i am using aluminum too. just not sure how to get it looking right in my engine bay considering the c/f firewall and filters. i guess against the engine case it would look alright though. could always powder coat it too i guess.

still have some wiring to do. the CDI is in now (mounted just to right of left carb. coil and breather go in this week. then plumbing and wiring.

Old January 20th 2004, 10:14
Administrator

Looks awesome in there !

Can't wait to hear about your first drive in that beast

Sandeep
Old February 24th 2004, 13:43

the more i look at your sealing tin Sandeep and work on my template, the less i can figure out how you got those lines so tight. i have a couple hours into now and still am not happy. i never did get your templates via snail mail. i have no great solution for the front tin yet either. that's a petty challenging area. especially with bellcrank linkage.

Old February 24th 2004, 13:55

zen's 2316 t4 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
yea. the idea is to totally seal off the top from the bottom. there are some challenging areas though. around the manifolds and up and ove the tranny. i had also seen a recommendation to use bus engine bay seal for the perimeter since it has an adhesive strip. i am sure several things could be substituted there though.

the aluminum should be able to bend nicely up and around the tranny. i am going to be trying to use various sizes of c/f, so i will just have to see if i have enough and the right sizes. otherwise i guess i am using aluminum too. just not sure how to get it looking right in my engine bay considering the c/f firewall and filters. i guess against the engine case it would look alright though. could always powder coat it too i guess.

still have some wiring to do. the CDI is in now (mounted just to right of left carb. coil and breather go in this week. then plumbing and wiring.
Zen is your car a daily driver. I am thinking of building a engine with a 80mm crank.
Old February 24th 2004, 14:16

no. weekend warrior. few to no emmenities to be a daily. daily is a 951. it has a/c and heat.

Old February 25th 2004, 06:14

Does anyone know of a dealer who brings these FAT shroud kits into the UK?

I want one but I am not getting any replies from FAT them fax or email, maybe I havent got the right email addy.

How much you americans paying for the kit?

Cheers
Pablo
Old February 25th 2004, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Does anyone know of a dealer who brings these FAT shroud kits into the UK?

I want one but I am not getting any replies from FAT them fax or email, maybe I havent got the right email addy.

How much you americans paying for the kit?

Cheers
Pablo
i think my kit was $360, but don't recall for sure. call them. it will make your life easier. they are one of those companies that don't react well via email. 714.637.2889. the box is light, but big. not sure what shipping would be.

Old February 25th 2004, 11:51
Administrator

Zen,

I made ALOT of cardboard templates before finally cutting the aluminum. I made the mounts to the engine block first (L angle aluminum brackets) and then layed the cardboard ... if it didn't fit right, I just cut a small section out and then taped in a new section. When I went to cut the aluminum, the template looked like a jigsaw puzzle

I'm working on a datalogger now ... 4 T/C's for each sparkplug hole, 1 T/C for EGT, 1 thermister for ambient temps, a hall sensor to attach to one rear axle for speed measurement, and an induction sensor attached to #1 sparkplug wire to measure rpms .. all based on a Motorola HC11 microcontroller. This should be a cool little project .. hope to get it done in time for the track ! .. a topic for another thread though

Sandeep
Old February 25th 2004, 17:10

Thanks Zen, took your advice and rang them just, $375 + shipping not bad at all.
A few questions for you and Sandeep if you dont mind:

Whats the quality like of the fibreglass shroud? it looks nice thick at the edges but is it like that all over? does it fit nicely around the fan?
All the shrouds I have have seen over here are crap to say the least, I think they must be a copy off a copy off a copy....

Thanks
Old February 25th 2004, 20:46

i was happy with the quality. i don't have anything to compare it to since i have not looked in detail at other shrouds though. fit and finish were great. it fits snug around the heads and the fan. i had to clearance the back for the bellcrank linkage though.

Old February 26th 2004, 10:59
Administrator

I was pretty happy too .. The only drilling I had to do was drill 2 small holes at the top of the shroud so I could bolt it to the factory holes on the 911 fan ring. Great quality.

Sandeep
Old February 26th 2004, 11:25

Thanks guys, I m gonna order it, I better just wait till I get the catalog just incase there is anything else I want.
Old March 8th 2004, 21:27

thought you guys might want to see my solution to the clearance problem. i just bent a flat ali strip, painted and coated with rubber (which didn't turn out too good, but was in a hurry and figured i would make it better later). i ended up a little lower than needed, but a few more mm of height would have worked. the bottom is buffered with rubber washers. the shape allows the decklid to still be secured and locked as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standoff.jpg (55.8 KB, 34 views)