GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old March 25th 2005, 07:27

any info on brembos?

Found a set of porsche 911 C4 four pot brembos thought to be off a 1992 model, anyone got any experience of these? know anything about them?
I am currently running slide calipers and wandered if I could upgrade to these.
here is a picture, they look just like the porsche 944 turbo brembos to me
Old April 20th 2005, 14:25

They do indeed look very similar to 944T calipers. If you can measure the 2 diameters of the cups, that may help you with your m/c selection.

The 2 calipers in your picture look identical, rather than symmetric to each other. Could ba trick of the light.

The arrow above the 'Porsche' script is the direction of the wheels rotation, as the leading pistons are usually a larger diameter. This means each caliper is specific to a corner of a car. The 3/16" brake pipes that connect each caliper half must go at the bottom, with a bleed nipple at the top of each caliper half. The nipples and pipes can be swapped over, depending on which way the caliper mounts (front or rear of hub)

Matt
Old May 7th 2005, 10:12

hey finally got some measurements
front caliper
36 + 32mm pistons approx
rear caliper
30 + 26 mm pistons approx

any suggestions as to a master cylinder? I am just about to start on the bracket for the calipers,

got another question also, at the from I am going to be using porsche 944 turbo disks and hubs, 28mm thick I think, where as at the rears I have got 24mm disks, are these going to be ok? what thickness are the disks on the rear of a porsche 944 turbo?

any help appreciated
Adam
Old May 9th 2005, 04:44

Adam,
What rear discs are you using? I need some 24mm rears... I was going to use '86 turbo fronts on early hubs for the 28mm.
Rich
Old May 9th 2005, 05:04

Hey Rich
I am currently using the disks that came with my early (got the seperate alloy caliper mount) porsche back setup, measured it the other day and they are 24mm dont know if this will be thick enough. May get new rear disks if i dont have to buy a porsche master cylinder
The fronts I now have are off an 86 944 turbo, I am mounting them on 944 turbo front hubs also. These were brought from eurocarparts at a reasonable price.
Do you know anyone who could machine the bracket for me? I have the dimensions well a template and the steel (10mm) I just need them machining, i thought i could cut it out with a jigsaw but not so sure now.
thanks
Adam

Last edited by bug-er; May 9th 2005 at 05:18.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:21

I measured my early 944 discs and I think they were only about 21mm. Maybe they are just worn, but I would like to confirm their original thickness. So you have the 86 only turbo hubs wiht the disc mounting on the back?

Best bet for your brackets is to get them plasma cut and maybe grind them clean, then drill them yourself. It should be fairly easy to find a garage with a plasma cutter...

Rich
Old May 15th 2005, 05:39

Adam, the stock m/c will work great with those calipers. Good cup sizes! Mine are 40/36 front and 30/28 and a stock (drum) m/c with a straight bore gives a good front/rear bias.

Remember The beetle originally doesn't have self-adjusting brakes, as the shoes/drums wear, the pedal just works deeper into the m/c. That's why it's relatively long. So the amount of fluid that can be displaced is more than adequate.

Matt
Old May 24th 2005, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
I measured my early 944 discs and I think they were only about 21mm. Maybe they are just worn, but I would like to confirm their original thickness. So you have the 86 only turbo hubs wiht the disc mounting on the back?

Best bet for your brackets is to get them plasma cut and maybe grind them clean, then drill them yourself. It should be fairly easy to find a garage with a plasma cutter...

Rich
sorry about the lack of reply, I think it may be the 86 only turbo rear setup i have on my car, I cannot remeber though. its the seperate alloy caliper mount that bolts onto the a-arm.
need to drop off wheel and get code soon
hope thats of some help
Old May 25th 2005, 04:25

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the front set-up. 86 turbo is a cross over with a bigger disc but mounted to the back of the hub like the early stuff. I am hoping that I can get my 996 calipers to work with the 86 turbo front disc even though it is down slightly in diameter...
Rich
Old May 25th 2005, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the front set-up. 86 turbo is a cross over with a bigger disc but mounted to the back of the hub like the early stuff. I am hoping that I can get my 996 calipers to work with the 86 turbo front disc even though it is down slightly in diameter...
Rich
may be worth looking at the porsche 911 disks, I know for a fact, www.porscheshop.com do a kit which uses the calipers that you are using and porsche 911 disks, These disks apparently mount the same way as the early 944 setup and are the correct radius and thickness for your calipers.
may be worth dropping them a line, they may be helpful they may not
hope thats some help
Adam