GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old February 13th 2006, 10:00

lookin' good mikey

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old February 14th 2006, 11:25

Looks fantastic! Keep all of the good pics coming. I just wish i had as much time as you to work on my project.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old February 14th 2006, 21:23
Administrator

Go Mikey, Go Mikey. Woo, Woo, Woo :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 16th 2006, 00:06

Thanks a lot guys. Getting encouragement like this makes me want to work twice as hard. Especialy since you are the ones that built and are building the cars that inspired me.

I'm sure after my engine gets in I'll have a very long weekend.

I have a few ideas I'd like to toss around for getting my coolant from the front to the back. Ahem...

1. Run round tubing inside the main tunnel. Send and return. Pro- Neat/cleaner look, practical since everything else is in the tunnel Con- Tight space, and I havn't figure out a good way around the rear torsion.
2. Run one pipe inside the tunnel and one on the passenger side. (right next the tunnel) Pro- Not as clean, but clean. Con- A big hump on the passenger side of the tunnel, and the rear torsion.
3. Square OR round tubing under the car. Pro- More room than the tunnel. Con- Might limit ground clearance, and I'm a little uneasy about the pipes under the car.
4. Heater channels. Pro- Clean! I can check for rust while I've got them open. Con- A lot more work.

I'm thinking either 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 diameter. The radiator inlet and outlet are 1-3/4. The engine I don't have yet. I can always get an adaptor to a smaller diameter for the rad or weld a smaller diameter pipe on it. (I love TIG ) As for material, Aluminum, Stainless, and Carbon Steel are all options. But the cost might be a limiting factor. I have the capibility of welding all. I kinda want to say away from copper. Question... Would a smaller diameter pipe put a strain on the water pump by restricting the volume of water it can move? I'm an aircooled guy.

I'm sure I missed a few pros and a cons, But I've just gone blank on some of them. And please excuse all spelling errors.

Let me know guys. I'd sure love to have another perspective on this.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; February 16th 2006 at 00:10.
Old February 17th 2006, 14:12

Any Ideas?
Old February 17th 2006, 20:21

What I just got last week for mine...

1.5" al-you-min-e-um, schedule 40 pipe.

...and some nice braided hose from ebay to make my connections...

I didn't have to go that thick on the pipe, they have tube that is cheaper and thinner but mine does run under the bus and I wanted some protection. I picked aluminum because it can only help with the cooling (even as thick as it is) and is easy to work with.
Your project is looking AWESOME by the way!
VKG Bastage child
Old February 19th 2006, 20:33

Weekend Update...

Thanks Panel.

I think I might go with that kind of a set up too, I finaly looked under the car while holding up a peice of pipe, and I realized from the seat tracks back, it's pretty much protected by the pans. The only place it isn't is under the driver's and passenger's feet. It would also disipate heat like you said, and it would be easier to route around the rear torsion.

When I originaly made a front mount for my 914/01 tranny. I had no where near the experiance I have now. So I made it to function first, and look good second. Actually, it looks horible. So I made a new one. Also it was directly over the rear torsion housing. So putting a rear sway bar on would be impossible.
The first picture shows the old mount with the plates for the new. Honestly, at this point I had no idea what I was going to do. Next two pictures are the finished product compared to the old. A big improvement in function and looks. I thought about making my own rear tranny brace, but I decided against it for now.

I also installed my Kafer cup brace. Long story short, it was a PITA! Especialy with the body on! If you don't put those tabs in the right place, you can't take it out and put it back to weld it and paint it. It does look good up in there. I will take better pictures once the body is off.

I've have tomarrow off from school for Pres. Day. I'll probably get over to the shop for a few hours and do a little more here and there.

What Ya'll think up in hur?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transmission Mount 001 (Small).jpg (52.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission Mount 002 (Small).jpg (52.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission Mount 003 (Small).jpg (32.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Brace 001 (Small).jpg (47.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Brace 002 (Small).jpg (38.9 KB, 126 views)
Old February 19th 2006, 22:14

You got da kuh-nowlege poppin' off all up in 'dis joint, yo.

With that new crossmember you made, you could prolly use a regular aftermarket rear swaybar, and not have to fab up something like I had to.
'83 928S 4.7
Old February 25th 2006, 02:10

Mikey,
Your car is going to be great, thanks for the updates.
Old March 12th 2006, 00:20

Long over due update...

Thanks Nigel.

Oh man, I've been out of it for a while. Too long, I took a weekend off, and last weekend I didn't do much to make an update, and I had no pictures.

I figured out my water lines. I've got a bunch of pictures. Tim got me two 10 foot sticks of 1-1/4 ID aluminum conduit. I started with the pan on it's side just to get an idea of what I was going to have to do. It didn't take me very long to realize it needed bends. I didn't have a bender and I couldn't find one to rent. So played on my streights, Welding and my creativity. After a trip to Home Depot. I had a few peices, a steel pipe coupler and 1-90* bent peice of galvanized pipe conduit. (sp?) I only bought 1 at the time incase the idea doesn't work, I don't have to return the second curved peice. I started out laying the 90* pipe where I needed the first turn, then I found a place to cut it. I then added a peice of straight pipe. After I got it towards the torsion housing more, I added the other half of the 90*. It worked out perfect, and the peice of 90* was only $7. I had to go buy another 90* for the other side, but at least I had an idea. It seems like the two pipes will miss the tailing arms. The only problem is welding the galvanized (sp? again). FYI, the fumes are Toxic. If anyone welds it, Weld in a Very WELL ventilated area, don't rush only weld a little at a time.

My next head ach was the front. How to get it to the radiator. After some thinking, scratching my head. I decided that I'd start on the passenger side, then go from there. It wasn't bad really. I still need to work on my aluminum welding. But at least they're tacked now. I didn't want it to go past the frame head. The frame head on my Daily driver hits sometimes, so these lines would die. (stock beam w/ drop spindles on the DD) It had to come up before the beam. I figured out a good spot, cut an angle into the aluminum tubing, and a hole into the frame head. Doesn't look bad. Although I was kinda uncomfortable with the way it looked. I made an Arnald of a protector for it. 1/4" sides and 1/8" top. (My girlfriend has a tall curb at the end of her drive way. That's what gave me the idea. ) The driver's side wasn't as easy, after a lot more thought and a little... I just tried to avoid the master cylinder and get the water above the frame head. I'll figure out the rest after I turn the pan over. Confidence? I made another cover for the driver side. As for the way to hold the two covers over the pipe. I thought about welding, but if I ever had to remove them, it would be a nightmare. So I just made a few tabs, and drilled a few holes so I can bolt them on. The tabs aren't the most beautiful I've ever made but they'll work perfect. And "Form Follows Function". My best guess is that the water lines are maybe about 75% finished. I need to finish my aluminum welds, then finish attaching the lines to the pan. But the really difficult stuff is out of the way.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 001 (Small).jpg (41.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Instal 002.1 (Small).jpg (43.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 004 (Small).jpg (45.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 005 (Small).jpg (47.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 006 (Small).jpg (48.4 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Mikey; March 12th 2006 at 00:35.
Old March 12th 2006, 00:27

Mo' pictures of the water lines...

Annnd... I ran my 3/8" fuel line last weekend. I thought about running just a send, but having a 25' roll. I decided to run a send and return. I still have about 8' or 9' left. That wasn't terible. It took a little to get it in position, but it's a lot better than the original. It was stopped up with either dirt or rust. Picture 2.1 in the last post shows the Kafer cup brace, the coolant lines, and the fuel lines. You won't find the original because I removed it completely.

Sorry for the EXtreemly long post. If you read it all, thanks. If not, I understand. I didn't re-read it to check for spelling. So don't hate.

Let me know guys, I love the feedback. Good, bad, or anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 008 (Small).jpg (63.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 010 (Small).jpg (50.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 012 (Small).jpg (42.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 013 (Small).jpg (40.4 KB, 126 views)
Old March 20th 2006, 00:46

Hmm... did I scare people off with the long post? I'm surprised that there's no comments.

Well, another weekend is coming to a close. I worked a few hours friday, a few Saturday and a few more today.

I spent most of the time working out brackets to attach the water lines to the car. I bought two small bags with 4 brakets each in them from Home Depot. After I laid them on the water lines I noticed the hole on the tunnel side was too close to the pipe, and had to either be moved by adding another peice of metal, or look for another method of holding my water lines up. I chose to add a peice of metal. I also added a small gusset. I thought, the further I move the bolt away from the pipe, the less it will resist bending. Over kill or not, they're done.

After I had them all mounted I flipped the pan over to check how much ground clearance I sacrificed. I don't have a picture. I only lost about a 1/4 of an inch. The two covers hang about 1/4" below the lowest points of the pan and frame head. I also wanted to see where the pipes came out on the top. The driver's side will need more cutting and more , but the passenger side will only need cut with a small angle. It points right at the long tie rod right now. Before I pulled the water lines off the pan. I put all the bolts going though the pan pointing down so I could weld the head to the pan. That way if it comes loose, if I need to pull the water lines off because my aluminum welds leak, I don't have to pull up the carpet. And wouldn't you know it. I took the driver's side off first, and I was almost done with the passenger's side, I went to take the nut off the bolt I welded to the pan, and it broke!!! I cut the bolt out and welded another one back in. I ran a tap and a die on all the nuts and bolts I used just for that reason, so I wouldn't get a lemmon. Oh well, all I can do is fix it and keep going.

After I fixed the bolt problem, I started cleaning up the heads, just hitting them with a grinder then some paint so they don't rust. Since I don't have a garage I had to leave my pan outside for about a year. My new pans were starting to get some surface rust. So, I knocked it all down with a wire brush on a angle grinder. Seem sealed the top of the pans (again, but with a better more liberal bead of seam seal) and coated them with some rust inhibitor/ paint I had for a while. (I don't know what it was really, but it was just sitting there, so I used it.) and before I could get pictures, I flipped the pan back over to do the other side. I first wire brushed it, seam sealed it, then painted it with the same stuff. Half way though the PS I ran out. So raided Tim's paint cabinet. In the back of the cabinet, found something of a brown rust inhibitor and some black. I used the black on my two pipe covers and the brown on the rest of the pan. I was going to lay some welds on my pipe, but I forgot my Pure Tungsten at school.

The first picture is what it looked like when I stopped saturday afternoon. We worked on Tim's '47 for a few hours. The second and third pictures are of when I stopped saturday night, about 9pm. I got there in the morning about 9am. But I took a lunch break. The last two are pictures I took before I left tonight. The creaper on my wishbone has my brakets on them. Sandblasted and painted in gray primer for now. You can see the bolts sticking up from the pan. The holes in the tunnel are tapped 8mm x 1.25 (I think) The lone bolt sticking up in the tunnel, it stripped so I just put a bolt though and welded it on the back. After looking back I could have welded a nut and you'd never know, but then again. How many people will climb under my car and notice that small detail?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. I can't spell very good.

On a side note: On my way back to Tim's after my lunch break saturday. I said hi to my friend standing out side my house with a neighbor of mine. He asked me where I was going, I said back to work. And my neighbor said, and I quote. "Sucks to be you" I said "No it doesn't, I love my work. "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 014 (Small).jpg (55.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 016 (Small).jpg (52.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 017 (Small).jpg (42.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 018 (Small).jpg (57.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 018 (Small).jpg (57.4 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Mikey; March 20th 2006 at 01:02.
Old March 20th 2006, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
I'm surprised that there's no comments.
I read every update. Sometimes multiple times. I'm enjoying it.

Don't be put off by no responses. I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this with interest. To me, it is like a tutorial. I promise not to be bashful with comments or questions when I have something to add.

Please continue.
Old March 20th 2006, 08:36
Administrator

Very nice work Mike. :agree:
I have been bowed up on Joel's Bus and then my grandma passed last Sun. Joel and I took the bus to Ohio for the funeral. While Nancy and Jordan took the TDI Jetta.
Good to see that you are thinking things thru so well. The details look very nice. That will be one bad @$$ Ghia,,,,,,, even if it will be laden wiff one of those water bags. :agree: :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 20th 2006, 10:36

Post as long as you want, we love it! Hope to post some progress pics of my own soon.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child