GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 27th 2006, 10:23

big arse wheels, right deck height,shaved body if early shape.similar to what some of the latest rods are coming around to.
Old April 2nd 2006, 21:56

You know, I think the phrase " Germanlook " was coined to describe what some folks were seeing at that moment. Mainly V.W.s utilizing easy to find, and cheap to buy used porsche parts. They seem to be growing on trees in europe, but in the states, we had to take a different path. The German look, to me anyway, is about performance on the road, not the track ( ie: 1/4 mile ) like cal-look cars. Now take a look at the " RAT-ROD " cars. They put their money into the performance of the car rather than the looks. Then there's the " Hawian-look ". Big motors and show quility paint are the norm. Personally, I like the idea of a strong street presence with a stripped down look, just what's needed to do the job. No interior, basic gauges, monocrome paint, and anything else to step up the handling and performance. These days, you can buy the wheels of your choice, have the engine of your choice ( VW, Porsche, subaru, mazda rotory, mid-engine v-8, ect. ) the brakes of your choice, and so-on. So I don't think the German-look is about a style as much as it is a style about performance. What say you ?
Old April 27th 2006, 16:49

My prejudice (if one might call it that) is that the GL is Hi-perf engine and transmission combined with a chassie that is made for highspeeds on Autobahn or any racetrack when ever you feel like it and all fitted inside a showfinished body.
Old January 24th 2007, 13:00

i remember reading an article written by keith seume, where he said 'german look cars have to be equipped with 17" wheels minimum' or words to that effect

in my opinion the greatest german looker ever built is christian steltzer's marathon blue 1303, and that runs 15" bbs split rims

a close 2nd to that is the burgandy semi auto that runs 16" compomotive fuchs-esque split rims

does a true german looker need track inspired features ?
Old August 8th 2002, 09:00

What it all boils down to is people in general want to be part of something bigger then themselves. They want to be part of a group of like minded people (thats why we have clubs, organizations, & even churchs)

It all begins when a few like minded people get together, they lay down a set of rules & regulations & then everyone in the group has to adhere to them (*see footnote). If they dont do this, when new people want to be part of the group, it will be contaminated by those that think differently, this will cause those in the group to guestion their own thinking. And they wouldnt want that! No, most people dont want to think for themselves, they would rather be told what to think. Most people are followers, not leaders.

*Just look at clubs like DKPIII (nothing personal against DKPIII) for example, they are so rigid its not even funny! Doesn't this take away your individualism? Doesn't this lead to boredom? Doesn't this make things become stagnant?

Innovate, dont imitate!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 8th 2002, 09:13

woops!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback

Last edited by vujade; August 9th 2002 at 15:53.
Old August 9th 2002, 15:30
Pepper

Thumbs up chromed german look ??

Hello im a new guy here, graet forum

I recently had the family 74 supper passed down to me, It in great condition except for the motor. I’m in the process of putting a 1984 Mazda 12A in it . I’ve bin trying to decide on the style and color that I would like when I ran across a picture of a “German look” bug, it blew me away that was the look I wanted…BUTT I love the chrome look of the “retro” and so “cals”. Than one day I came across a picture of a “chromed german look” it has a classic look to it, I instantly fell in love with it. It still has the European look to it, and its chromed! I think the german look is a great style, and is very flexible

http://www.boomspeed.com/pepper50cal...x_german16.jpg
Old August 9th 2002, 23:06
Superman

Rear view of same car:

http://www.boomspeed.com/pepper50cal...x_german18.jpg
Old August 14th 2002, 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBugman1972

Germanlook is, to me, the modernization of an air-cooled VW.

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?
HaHa! Thanks Mike! I never considered my little bug as having 'attitude'!
For me it's just the way I want it. If you look through the old pages of my website (which is due an overhaul and move to a new service provider) I had initially intended for loads of Porsche gear, but as Bren noted, I can't justify the expense of Porsche brakes, type 4 engine conversion and carbon fibre parts for my bug, at least not at the moment.
Everything on the car is down to my personal taste, from the black wheels to the Porsche gauges. I have received mixed reactions from people about the choice of wheels and their colour, but I don't care. I'm happy with it.
I know I've always called my bug a German Looker. I'm not so sure I want to classify it anymore.

Can I start the 'Irish Look' here and now?
Just kiddin!

Last edited by trevorbrady; August 14th 2002 at 10:03.
Old August 14th 2002, 10:43
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorbrady

I have received mixed reactions from people about the choice of wheels and their colour, but I don't care. I'm happy with it.
and that's all that matters
Old August 15th 2002, 05:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
One thing I wondered, how does everyone feel about my CCC Porsche 911 Carrera style Whailtail... is that Germanlook? [/B]
Just so long as you don't have ferrari style "vented" fenders, a la Mulholland Look, you'll be alright. As for the different "looks" to these cars, I've gone more in the direction of function over form. T-4 engine, kaefer-kup braces, 80mm front struts (Topline), tuner wheels, etc etc. I'm gonna paint it monochrome Maroon(maybe?), only because I can't afford any sort of graphics or detailing, and I'm sure as hell not going with big vinyl stickers all over the car like the ricers around here do. I don't like calling the German Look "German Look," it's more Porsche performance to me. The "Euro" or "French" looks are straigh tout Tuner performance to me, with the tuner wheels, Hi-Po motors, extravagant paintjobs, and all. If Fast and the Furious were about Bugs, Euro/French-look VWs would be the basis for the movie, not Supras and S2000s... All in all the look of your car is YOUR look. You can try to generalise you VW if you want to, but your individuality will always seep through somehow, thus segregating your car from the norm...

I'm sure all this has been said before, but I had to state my ideas, too, not being one who likes to be left out of the conversation...

DAVID MANN
Old August 16th 2002, 20:31

I would hate to see germanlook have such rigid parameter's as cal look. Don't get me wrong, I love cal look-except for for all the "rules". If we say porsche stuff only, the segment is just going to turn into all the cars looking the same-exactly what gets annoying with cal-look.

I figure my project as german look, and there isn't a porsche part on it. Brakes are off a Dodge stratus and wheels are 17" chrome momo's- body will have all fact. chrome. To me german look is just about making an old car more updated with wheels/tires/trans/
engine/suspension.

just rambling.
Old August 19th 2002, 22:33

Purple Super (1303)

Can any body tell me where I can find pictures/more info on that cool looking Purple Super Beetle (1303) featured on the back inside page of every Volksworld issue in the HIC insurance ad, for the last 7 months? Thanks

Chas
Old August 19th 2002, 22:56

It was covered in the Volksworld mag in April 2001.
I do not have a scanner. Sorry.

Alex
Old August 20th 2002, 21:48

Thanks,