GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 13th 2005, 17:52

Mate this is awe-inspiring stuff. I congratulate you for your vision, and committment to following the project through the planning, design, fabrication and now to the installation (then to sorting out the bugs/problems which hopefully will only be minor). Yes I am sure many people will be asking you to develop kits, but I can appreciate the time, money, heartache involved in such a conversion.

Well done! :agree:
Alan
Old October 13th 2005, 20:38

Thanks mate, I just hope this thing works as good as it looks. I'll be none too thrilled if it handles like $hit after all the work and money I've put into it. I'm quite confident though that it will be lighter and handle much better than a beam setup. I'm especially hoping that I can head into a fast tight corner and not FEEL like the car is wanting to keep going straight, a problem that I've noticed with lowered Type Is. Anyone else noticed the difference in how a bug handles compared to a modern car? Can you pinpoint the sensation you feel as a driver?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 18th 2005, 12:07

New shocks are on and the travel is PERFECT! The tire just clears turned when on the bump stops, and the droop is great, if not maybe a little too much. We'll have to see.

1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 18th 2005, 17:13

Talking

Did you get mine packaged up and ready to ship yet?
VKG Bastage child
Old October 18th 2005, 23:28

Hey Jeff! Piss-off You've got a Bus! My Ghia needs it WAAYY before you do.

Damn! You people are always being greedy! Don't you know that Jason and I are family and I get first dibbs? :agree:

Just kidding!

Looking good Jason..

My address in case you deleted me from your rolodex after that last food fight at the family bon-fire last fall is XXXXX Blah Blah Lane, Somewhere, Michigan 4XXXX.

The truck drivers, postal workers and UPS drivers already know the drill. Mail....mailbox. car, motorcycle, and tractor parts (my other wierd fetish) behind the house.

Thanks Cuz
Old October 19th 2005, 06:56

Hey Jason,
Do the shocks themselves provide the travel limits, or do you have other limits built into the system? Haven't seen any limiting straps or anything, I presume the upper stops are limit bumpers on the shock shafts?
Looks real nice guy - can't wait to hear how it rides and handles!
I'll be working on my M-II based system over the Winter, so always interested in hearing about your trail blazing!
Cheers,
Jeff
Old October 19th 2005, 11:07

I lean towards Kubotas myself.... I'm soooo glad there are at least a couple of other guys as mad as me! I'm waiting on a couple of suppliers to find me a tie rod assembly, I think from Lemforder. I have one, but I need another. The cheaper ones have knurled threads, the threads are actually pressed from the tie rod, so the rod is smaller than the threads, but the one I need has cut threads, so the tie rod is actually larger than the threads. I can just cut and weld/splice the others, but being as crazy as me, you'll understand why I want the OEM look as opposed to the hack job look.

Once I get the other tie rod and shorten them, the suspension is complete.

Jeff, the picture with the wheel hanging in the air is full droop. If the springs are soft enough, they will be able to keep themselves from clattering around at full droop. If they get more stiff, I'll have to use a helper spring to keep things tight, or use a limiting strap to keep the wheel from travelling down too far. On the bump side, the bump stops touch just as the tire nears the fender while turned. I will get rub right now on a HARD corner bump, but I suspect it won't happen that often.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; October 19th 2005 at 11:11.
Old October 22nd 2005, 16:29

wow kabotas are interesting...uhhh do you have a dirt moving fetish, or are you possibly a contractor? Just kidding.

I really want to hear about how this setup works. I just bought a new audi quattro that set the project back a bit, I wouldn't have gotten it, except it snows a lot in utah, and all wheel drive is very important and subaru's aren't german. It's funny i'm using that as an excuse when i have a twin turbo subaru motor waiting for a home in the back of my dub

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old October 27th 2005, 20:54

I can't find a freekin' Lemforder tie rod assembly ANYWHERE!!!! So it looks like I might have to make a rabbit tie rod work, or I'm going to have to do some cutting and welding on the Mk II tie rods. Not what I wanted, but you gotta make it work somehow.

Incidently, if ANYONE has a single new Lemforder non-powered Mk II tie rod assembly just kicking around in their garage, give me a shout.

Walt said he's going to be able to start working on the rear strut mounts within a couple of weeks, so I'm trying desperately to get the steering squared away before he takes it.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 30th 2005, 02:27

Big News!

Wow, what a day! First I ran around looking at tie rod options. After the purchase of 3 of them, I finally found that while freaking expensive(read Made in USA), Moog's RABBIT tie rod worked PERFECTLY! I now have a bunch of Golf II tie rods in case anyone needs em. I cut a few more threads on the rods, and then cut off about 2cm, and they worked perfectly. Besides steering shaft, the front end is done.

Now on the back, though temporary, I made some upper strut mounts and cut the strut holes for the drivers side, leaving me with....

A ROLLER!!!! That is what hot rodders call a rolling chassis. I bolted up the wheels, adjusted the ride height, and OMG, IT ALL WORKS!!!!! I had eyeballed a lot of what I did on the rear end, so to have it all work out, at least for now, is such a big relief. I put the rear fenders on just to check, and again, the width is just perfect.

So now I can roll my car around at least, and maybe move it to my residence instead of being over at my rental. Next weekend I should be able to roll it onto a trailer and over to Walt's.

I worked till 10 tonight, and never thought I'd get as far as I did, so expect pics tomorrow.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 30th 2005, 10:02

Is it tomorrow yet??

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 31st 2005, 00:56

I've posted in 180hp 1.8t in Bug because it has more to do with the rear end. I'll get some better pics of the front end when I get a chance. Most of the time today was spent on getting the garage cleaned up and re-organized after the car was rolled out.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 31st 2005, 01:45

i want one too!!!

[QUOTE=Panelfantastic]Did you get mine packaged up and ready to ship yet?[/Q i want one too
Old November 7th 2005, 22:51

Let's make sure it works well first before we all get too excited!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 12th 2005, 23:10

i really can't wait to see how this thing rides and the adjustability on it and all.

it looks so awesome