GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old July 22nd 2004, 10:46
Administrator

Shifter for 914 5-speed install to beetle

Hiya,

I've decided to move ahead with a 914 5-speed install into my beetle for this winter's project. It also looks like there are a few others in the GTA who will be attempting this as well.

My question has to do with shifters ... Why can't you use the stock shifter ? I have a Scat dragfast, which I really like, and want to use this. Is the only issue with using a stock shifter that you have to be able to get to reverse on the 914 trans ?

Is this a lockout plate issue ? :shrug:

I realize I have to "swap the diff" and use a 914 tailshift with a 901 nosecone and hockey stick ... does anyone have any input as to the issues to be faced with the CV's ? Are they the same as a beetle or 944/T2 CV's ?

I hope to look at a trans in the next couple of weeks and would like to gather everything before the winter hits.

I'll need a 914 FW/PP/Clutch for my 2.0 T4 and a matching starter to start with.

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Sandeep
Old July 22nd 2004, 17:36
Administrator

I read somewere about someone (lots of help I know) who modified a VW style shifter to work with a 901. I think they modified the lock-out plate so the you could get 1st gear but had to pull the trigger to get rev. It would seam like you could cut and bend the lock-out to work.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 22nd 2004, 18:47

Yep, I read about that. If you grind the lockout part of the lockout plate down some it becomes disabled, and 1st gear will be in the location that reverse once occupied in the 4 speed shift pattern.

It can be done, but it may not shift perfectly.

CV's are the same as Type I if you have a 914/901, except there's two dowel holes and 4 bolts in the 914 flanges, and 6 bolts in the Type I flanges. Time-cert the 2 holes in the 914 flanges and your'e good to go with stock Type I CV's.

Flipping the diff is pretty easy, but you do have to take the gear stacks and intermediate plate out to get the pinion gear and input shaft out of the way of the diff carrier assembly. I was lucky with mine. I didn't have to change the pinion depth to correct an improper wear pattern in the ring and pinion gears.

Here's what you'll need:

-You got stock control arms? Use stock CV's and axles.
-944 control arms? Use Type I inner CV, Type II outer CV's on stock axles
-late 931,932,951,952,968 control arms? Use Type I inner CV, Type II outer
CV on 21", 33 spline Porsche axles.
-Longer clutch cable
-911/901 selector rod. This is refered to as the "hockey stick", but it's actually a 30" rod that goes halfway thru the transmission, and MUST be obtained, along with the 901 front housing. One can be fab'd from a VW hockey stick, and a 914/901 tailshift selector rod, but it must be straight.

then theres the crossmember,..

Once complete, :haveadrin (after the test drive)
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 22nd 2004, 19:07
Administrator

I have an early Aluminum nose case and the shift rod (I have a whole trans from a 66 911) for a 901 I need to sell to help pay for my other 901.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 22nd 2004, 19:46

Here's what I'm doing-
early 911 case, intermediate plate, nose cone/ hockey stick, r&p and cv flanges.
914 gear stack, and early 914 shifter.

The 911 tranny I got was a Aluminum case and the intermediate plate from the 914 tranny wouldn't bolt up. It turns out the 914 guys spend big bucks to upgrade to aluminum intermediate plates and side plates because the magnesium ones develope stress cracks.
Also I want to run the 944 half shafts I got so I need to be able to switch out my output flanges with the later 901 ones, and I noticed the 911 ones don't fit on the 914 diff. So I'm going to run the 911 differential.
I still haven't gotten it installed but I have a good idea what I'll do for the crossmember. Good luck guys.

Nick
Old July 23rd 2004, 09:30
Administrator

Thanks for the replies and helpful information.

I have the stock trailing arms so I'll use the beetle items and work the 914 output flanges as Yetibone mentioned. I have a line on a nosecone and hockey stick for the conversion locally, all I need now are the 914 PP/FW and clutch. Should be able to source those locally.

Now for the cross-member. I have seen this done a few different ways on a few sites and Lanner (www.vdubcustoms.com) had a few suggestions that I will consider. Fabbing one up will not be a problem.

Mike Ghia's site (www.performanceghia.com) has a nice writeup on installing a 901/911 and he mentioned he used a Scat DragFast shifter ... so looks like I'm good to go.

Looks like I should be contributing another tech article by Feb 2005

Sandeep
Old July 23rd 2004, 10:07

Talking

Hiya Sandeep,
I used polyurethane rabbit engine mounts for the front crossmember
Heres how iI did it:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bry...c=ph%26.view=t

Bry
Old July 24th 2004, 12:59

914 / 901 Tranny conversion

Previously came across a site that provided some good info and
may be of interest

Link: http://home.cshore.com/scrawl/cars/convertible/

Allan
Old August 5th 2004, 13:45

While on the subject of shifters..

I am a little confused on the set up of the 901 (911) here is what Mike Ghia wrote : I use a Scat Dragfast so this was not necessary on my Beetle. I just pull up the lever and pull back for first while reverse is directly in front of it. Just be careful going from 1st to 2nd. It takes practice, as any early 911, 914 or 924 GT owner will tell you."

I take it that first is not in the usual spot..

Alex
Old August 5th 2004, 14:27
Administrator

First on a 901 box is where reverse is on a stock T1 box. Reverse on a 901 box is directly in front of 1st.

901 box:

R 2 4
| | |
-----
| | |
1 3 5

If you have a Scat DragFast shifter, you can shift into reverse and 1st on a 901 box without having to change to a 911/914 shifter. This is my understanding.

Sandeep
Old August 5th 2004, 15:13

Now this makes sense..

With the drag is there a gate lock to prevent going into reverse or reverse and first..

In other words I have to lift the lock to go into either one or is the lock just for reverse...

THis seems like a good option.. not to familiar with the shifter, but if I don't have to graft a 914 or 911 shifter then saves me time and money..
But this is quite tricky... I will have to paste a copy of the pattern in nice big bold letters to prevent going into reversre..
Thanks
Alex
Old August 21st 2004, 23:41
Administrator

More resources

I just picked up my 914/11 trans and 914 pp/fw/clutch this afternoon. I'm working on removing the gear stack this week and then flipping the ring gear. Here's another excellent resource for information ... http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/

This will help in removing the gear stack. When flipping the diff, I'm assuming you remove the whole diff assembly and then install it rotated 180 deg on the vertical plane ? I don't have a shop manual but is this a pic of the diff "flipped" ?

Pic from http://home.cshore.com

I guess I will find out when I remove the side cover

Looking forward to a 5th gear !

Sandeep
Old August 22nd 2004, 02:23

That's how it should look when you put it together Sandeep. On the 914 tranny when you pull the side cover it will make a lil more sense.
Old February 18th 2005, 11:21
Administrator

Scat Dragfast shifter works with a 901 gearbox

I had finished fabbing up my shiftrod last night (2 u-joints and a buggy shift rod shortening kit, using modified stock T1 shiftrod) and I can confirm that the Scat Dragfast shifter does work with the 901 tranny.

2-5 gears are where stock 1-4 gears are on a T1 gearbox. To access 1st on the 901, I pull up on the reverse lockout and shift ( to where reverse is on a T1) and reverse on the 901 is straight ahead of 1st.

Looking forward to the snow melting now so I can drive !!!

Sandeep
Old March 1st 2005, 22:43

clkwrk, how come your transmission case looks different? did you use the 4 speed version?