GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 26th 2013, 13:01

You have fitted the fans on the wrong side of the radiator... if you want to use aero of negative static pressure over the engine lid to pull air through that direction. Fans work more efficiently as a pull design and shrouding like that is supposed to be on the back side to aid fan efficiency. I also can't see yet how you plan to get ducting up to the radiator from underneath.
Love the rest of the build, I just can't see any logic in chasing the rear mounted radiator...
Old February 26th 2013, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
You have fitted the fans on the wrong side of the radiator... if you want to use aero of negative static pressure over the engine lid to pull air through that direction. Fans work more efficiently as a pull design and shrouding like that is supposed to be on the back side to aid fan efficiency. I also can't see yet how you plan to get ducting up to the radiator from underneath.
Love the rest of the build, I just can't see any logic in chasing the rear mounted radiator...
The goal is to take advantage of the natural higher air pressure from the transaxle side of the radiator. Ducting may or may not be necessary because of this differential although we'll be helping the flow with deflectors. We are not *pulling* air in from the engine lid (the vents of which we may relocate), but rather pushing air out.

To your point though, the fans are on the transaxle side because of space constraints on the engine side (lid hinges). We will be testing this setup thoroughly with manometers, yarn, etc.

If it doesn't work, we can always move up front.
Old February 26th 2013, 14:35

Maybe I wasn't clear, I understand which direction you want air to go, I meant pull air out at the back through your decklid. Your fans will lose efficiency from being 'pushers' but I'm more concerned with you blocking flow with that shroud..

Do you have target date for getting it on the road? Are you doing a test build before stripping it back down for detailing etc etc?
Old February 26th 2013, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear, I understand which direction you want air to go, I meant pull air out at the back through your decklid. Your fans will lose efficiency from being 'pushers' but I'm more concerned with you blocking flow with that shroud..

Do you have target date for getting it on the road? Are you doing a test build before stripping it back down for detailing etc etc?
The car should be rolling by the end of next month. Yes, the aerodynamics will be worked out/tested and solidified before the body work begins.
Old March 1st 2013, 17:38

For the German Look community only:

Starter system:

Pedals (not such a big deal):
Old March 2nd 2013, 06:21

Awesome project! very nicely done! Are you using the subarugears conversion for the transmission?
Old March 2nd 2013, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Awesome project! very nicely done! Are you using the subarugears conversion for the transmission?
Yes - Subaru Gears all the way. Todd installed a Torsen LSD as well. Here's a cleaner, earlier view of the transaxle and custom mount:

Old March 23rd 2013, 19:26

Chassis on the ground (at Hot VW's Drag Days):
----

----

----
Old April 18th 2013, 21:28

How are we coming along?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 18th 2013, 23:39

The project is still underway. I think I made a tactical error by letting Kevin take the chassis to the show. He got too many orders and got too busy to finish my car!!
Old April 19th 2013, 15:11

It's funny how often that knife edge shows up in life. Hope he can get back on it soon.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old June 4th 2013, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslzzp View Post
The project is still underway. I think I made a tactical error by letting Kevin take the chassis to the show. He got too many orders and got too busy to finish my car!!
I've been through this a few times and seen this way too many times. They obviously do good work, but honestly no one has the right to jump in front of your project for any reason (unless you want to delay the project?). They're not doing you any favors and all that time spent waiting doesn't change the bill you get in the end.

You pay them money==>they do a service for you

Period. No hard feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

My bus sat in a paint shop for way, way too long. The only way things got done the last nine months was showing up each week at different times unannounced.
Old June 4th 2013, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
They're not doing you any favors and all that time spent waiting doesn't change the bill you get in the end.
Nor does it account for all the free marketing/advertising value by having a totally bad ass chassis setting on the shop floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
You pay them money==>they do a service for you

Period. No hard feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

My bus sat in a paint shop for way, way too long. The only way things got done the last nine months was showing up each week at different times unannounced.
These are good points. I'll ping Kevin to see what the plan is.. I'm getting too much email and questions from people following this build. I know Kevin has been sick recently, but it seems like he's back in the saddle so maybe we'll see some positive progress again..
Old June 4th 2013, 14:47

I did a 1918 Gendron tricycle for my little one this past spring. I took all the rusty bits to a powder coating shop to have them redone. A week went by and nothing happened. Couldn't find the paint color I wanted, blah, blah. Oh really, couldn't even prep the parts then?

I didn't argue, didn't complain, I just picked up my stuff in a box and walked out.

Found another shop, had the color in stock, took a little over a week to get done. Taking on more work than you can handle helps no one.
Old June 6th 2013, 01:22

Keith,

I am sorry you feel this way. In everything in life there are two sides to every story. I thought we had been comunicating pretty good on this project. As far as cost at the end of the job, it does get effected when one of our customers helps us out in one way or another. As far as we are conserned, we end up giving more into the job then the customer ends up paying for. I can tell you already that we have given freebee's on this job. Also what Keith has not added to this is that we have had set backs on both his and our part, waiting for parts that either he or we are supplying. So before people get involved only knowning half the story, please find out all the facts.

My .02 cents